Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Worried sick. Is 53 too old to start a new life in Canada?

Worried sick. Is 53 too old to start a new life in Canada?

Old Feb 14th 2012, 5:21 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Worried sick. Is 53 too old to start a new life in Canada?

Originally Posted by Steve_
Back when it was all points based if you were heavily qualified and so was your spouse, you could come in as a skilled worker even though you were older (although not pensioner age). Now with the preference categories I would say that is very hard to do.
I don't doubt it.

All I am saying is that within the last 4 years, an English couple I know ( who are already retired ) came in on some 'scheme' ( they were vague about it when I asked ) and gained PR. When they submitted 3/4 years ago, they were told it would take 3 years - "no sooner so don't contact us before the 3 years" and are now living here as PR's.

He has subsequently returned to work but she receives her superannuation as income.

Obviously things have changed and that I accept.

I will probe them more when I meet them again. I asked if they came on TWP and they said no we came over as PR's both being retired.
Old Feb 14th 2012, 7:09 pm
Just Joined

chickydee is an unknown quantity at this point

oooh thanks for all of your replies!
yes we've had our visa's for a few months and we're semi retired.
my husband is a mechanic but we would both only want part time work.
I would say that we're both very positive, and we know Canada very well due to holidays.
Old Feb 14th 2012, 7:16 pm

dollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chickydee
oooh thanks for all of your replies!
yes we've had our visa's for a few months and we're semi retired.
my husband is a mechanic but we would both only want part time work.
I would say that we're both very positive, and we know Canada very well due to holidays.
Then defo come and try it out and see how it fits!

Good luck to you
Old Feb 15th 2012, 12:32 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tangram
I will probe them more when I meet them again. I asked if they came on TWP and they said no we came over as PR's both being retired.
IIP maybe?
Old Feb 18th 2012, 1:21 pm
Just Joined

some of these links have made me howl with laughter, witness programme indeed!
I agree that age is just a number as long as your fit enough.
I also agree that keeping a small property here in England is a great idea - even if its just somewhere to stay when we visit our kids!
Thanks again for your input, now we just have to decide where to live? we like nice restaurants and bars but I cant stand huge crowds. we would like to live near the coast, somewhere with a decent spring and summer and fewer gnats!! Anyone got any ideas?!?
Old Feb 18th 2012, 1:31 pm
Banned

fletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud of

some of these links have made me howl with laughter, witness programme indeed!
I agree that age is just a number as long as your fit enough.
I also agree that keeping a small property here in England is a great idea - even if its just somewhere to stay when we visit our kids!
Thanks again for your input, now we just have to decide where to live? we like nice restaurants and bars but I cant stand huge crowds. we would like to live near the coast, somewhere with a decent spring and summer and fewer gnats!! Anyone got any ideas?!?
Whitby North Yorkshire! By the way, we are only 5 years younger, just go for it, you have experience on your side.
Old Feb 18th 2012, 2:31 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by fletcher m
Whitby North Yorkshire! By the way, we are only 5 years younger, just go for it, you have experience on your side.
Ha lol !
Old Feb 18th 2012, 2:37 pm
Forum Regular

Pebblebeach is just really nicePebblebeach is just really nicePebblebeach is just really nicePebblebeach is just really nicePebblebeach is just really nicePebblebeach is just really nicePebblebeach is just really nicePebblebeach is just really nicePebblebeach is just really nicePebblebeach is just really nicePebblebeach is just really nice

Originally Posted by helcat12
Being young is not the key to successful immigration, so no, you are not too old because age is not an issue.

Attitude is an issue.
If you are ready for anything and want to do it, then you are as good as anyone 20 years younger.
Exactly. 50 is the new 40 don't you know It really is about attitude and what you want from your life. Especially if you have a "pull" to Canada, rather than just a desire to get away from the uk.

I think being in your position of being semi-retired (and already having the visa) gives the opportunity to turn a hobby/passion into a small business, or take part-time/volunteer work that can be really rewarding (and also help you build a new social network), rather than "the grind". This also can leave you with time to enjoy your new country. (That is assuming you can afford to do that).

We chose to live away from the cities, in a beautiful area with very inexpensive housing for just that reason. No regrets (well, except on the 2&3/4 hour trip to the airport to travel/collect visitors!).
Old Feb 18th 2012, 2:51 pm
Just Joined

Your in NS? whats it like in Nova Scotia?
I have actually looked it up on line as well as other coastal areas, looks beautiful but isnt it bleak in the winter?
what is the job scene like?
Old Feb 18th 2012, 3:01 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Oink
Welcome to the forum. If I presume you're taking early retirement then I'd say you're not too old. Have you thought about of a less dramatic and expensive move? Maybe Conrwall or France? If you have your heart set on Canada then BC might be the best option. Some of the Gulf Islands are nice or somewhere near the Okanagan Lake.
Hi Oink
when you say gulf islands where do you mean? I have looked at the Okanagon region and you're right, it seems lovely.
Old Feb 18th 2012, 3:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Oink
when you say gulf islands where do you mean? I have looked at the Okanagon region and you're right, it seems lovely.
He probably means these
http://www.gulfislandstourism.com/
Old Feb 18th 2012, 3:20 pm
Forum Regular

Pebblebeach is just really nicePebblebeach is just really nicePebblebeach is just really nicePebblebeach is just really nicePebblebeach is just really nicePebblebeach is just really nicePebblebeach is just really nicePebblebeach is just really nicePebblebeach is just really nicePebblebeach is just really nicePebblebeach is just really nice

The Okanagan was our first choice whilst we we waiting for the visa. We have spent some vacation time there. It is beautiful, and lots of great skiing nearby. However, it is comparatively much more expensive to live there than when we first started looking (house prices moved up steeply, whilst the value of Sterling plummetted). We also had some concerns about the levels of crime/drug use in those areas.

I don't find it bleak here in winter at all. We love snow and winter activities. In fact, they are calling this winter "the winter that never happened", disappointingly little snow. We don't often get extreme cold temperatures like the prairies, but like them, get plenty of sunshine with the cold. I far prefer the climate here in South West Nova Scotia to the UK. The only aspect I like less is the wind, when there is a storm. That can be quite shocking.
Old Feb 18th 2012, 3:32 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Pebblebeach
The Okanagan was our first choice whilst we we waiting for the visa. We have spent some vacation time there. It is beautiful, and lots of great skiing nearby. However, it is comparatively much more expensive to live there than when we first started looking (house prices moved up steeply, whilst the value of Sterling plummetted). We also had some concerns about the levels of crime/drug use in those areas.

I don't find it bleak here in winter at all. We love snow and winter activities. In fact, they are calling this winter "the winter that never happened", disappointingly little snow. We don't often get extreme cold temperatures like the prairies, but like them, get plenty of sunshine with the cold. I far prefer the climate here in South West Nova Scotia to the UK. The only aspect I like less is the wind, when there is a storm. That can be quite shocking.
I agree, as long as there's a blue sky all's good!
Old Feb 18th 2012, 3:33 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
He probably means these
http://www.gulfislandstourism.com/
thanks, I'll look it up
Old Feb 18th 2012, 5:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Waggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Tangram
I don't doubt it.

All I am saying is that within the last 4 years, an English couple I know ( who are already retired ) came in on some 'scheme' ( they were vague about it when I asked ) and gained PR. When they submitted 3/4 years ago, they were told it would take 3 years - "no sooner so don't contact us before the 3 years" and are now living here as PR's.

He has subsequently returned to work but she receives her superannuation as income.

Obviously things have changed and that I accept.

Hi. Hmm, as far as I am aware the only way you could possibly retire to Canada is if you are sponsored by a Canadian relative, and parental sponsorship in particular has a LONNNGGGGG waiting list since they massively reduced the numbers of parental visas available.

If I were 53 I reckon your best chance is to secure a job offer and come over as a skilled worker on TWP. This would give you 5 additional points in the adaptability section and 10 additional points having a job offer in its own rights, which will make up for losing 10 points in the age category. The job offer for TWP probably has to be full time but there's no reason why you can't then slip back to part-time once residency is granted.

I am unsure of your education level - but you should definitely get maximum English language points, can you speak any French? And at 53 I am presuming you can provide evidence of at least 4 years' work experience so that's maximum work experience points. Do you have any relatives in Canada? That can grant 5 adaptability points, and also your spouse's education level can grant up to another 5 adaptability points.

Basically you need to establish that you have a route to get at least 67 points and then you can start to consider your options.

Another thing to consider is that in July this year there will probably be a new Category 1 occupation list AND probably a new points matrix. This will favour younger applicants, although at 53 you would get little or no age points even under the current system so this is unlikely to affect you.

Canada is a beautiful country and IMO there is no age limit to have an adventure and find a new place to live in. Age is all in the mind

I am 39 years old and got ID'd in a bar in Victoria last weekend ;p

The difficulty is that there is a bundle of red tape to get through to establish residency which doesn't favour older applicants, but a bit of determination and I think it's definitely doable!

Wishing you the best of luck.
Wayne and Susan.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.