Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

World Service / Radio for Jogging

World Service / Radio for Jogging

Old Mar 25th 2008, 3:25 pm
Swollen Member

geo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond repute
Question World Service / Radio for Jogging

Morning All,

I've got a road race on April 5th which also coincides with the Arsenal v Liverpool game. Ordinarily I would be at home watching but I'm hoping someone knows of a way I could listen to it while running.

I was thinking portable radio but am unsure with regard to what station would carry it.

Would the World Service be available? Or are there any North American radio stations who carry live Premiership coverage? What kind of radio would I need to buy to pick it up??

Any help / pointers much appreciated.

Old Mar 25th 2008, 5:58 pm
Swollen Member

geo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: World Service / Radio for Jogging

<WHEEZE>
Old Mar 25th 2008, 6:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

An XM or Sirius pocket-sized radio? And jog somewhere with a clear view of the southern sky If you can stomach the subscription of course - search the web for discount codes, I got my car's free trial extended for half the price they wanted initially.
Old Mar 25th 2008, 6:49 pm
Swollen Member

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
An XM or Sirius pocket-sized radio? And jog somewhere with a clear view of the southern sky If you can stomach the subscription of course - search the web for discount codes, I got my car's free trial extended for half the price they wanted initially.
Is the World Service not available from a non-satellite source?
Subscription? Dirty word
Old Mar 25th 2008, 7:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by geo4
Is the World Service not available from a non-satellite source?
Subscription? Dirty word
A shortwave radio? Ages since I had one of those
Old Mar 25th 2008, 7:17 pm
Swollen Member

A shortwave radio? Ages since I had one of those
I know- and try finding a portable one at best BUY!!

Old Mar 25th 2008, 7:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I know- and try finding a portable one at best BUY!!

I don't know the shops in Toronto but The Source have a pocket one for 29.99 CAD - http://www.thesourcecc.com/estore/Pr...roduct=2019105 .

Good luck in the race btw

Edit: oh, did you see this? There's no shortwave transmission for North America any more - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BBC_World_Service#Americas

Last edited by Biiiiink; Mar 25th 2008 at 7:35 pm.
Old Mar 25th 2008, 7:44 pm
Swollen Member

Edit: oh, did you see this? There's no shortwave transmission for North America any more - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BBC_World_Service#Americas
Thanks and thanks.

I didn't see the wikipedia article but having delved further into the BBC site had made the assumption the satellite so and so's have monopolised the market here in North America.

I'm wondering if there would be a station based here beaming out Premiership footy live? anyone??
Old Mar 25th 2008, 11:58 pm
Forum Regular

ojmurphy is just really niceojmurphy is just really niceojmurphy is just really niceojmurphy is just really niceojmurphy is just really niceojmurphy is just really niceojmurphy is just really niceojmurphy is just really nice

Fan 590 carries one Premier League game a weekend I believe. From what I've read it is typically the same game that is being shown on Setanta at 10am on a Saturday.

That probably doesn't help you - sorry - but it does answer the question about broadcast radio coverage!

You can find out the weekly schedules on the Fan 590 website.

Last edited by ojmurphy; Mar 26th 2008 at 12:01 am.
Old Mar 26th 2008, 4:45 am
BE Forum Addict

live to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond repute

How about downloading BBC podcasts to a Zen / iPod etc.?
Old Mar 26th 2008, 1:17 pm
Swollen Member

Originally Posted by live to ski
How about downloading BBC podcasts to a Zen / iPod etc.?
I want the game live.
Old Mar 26th 2008, 1:19 pm
Swollen Member

Originally Posted by ojmurphy
Fan 590 carries one Premier League game a weekend I believe. From what I've read it is typically the same game that is being shown on Setanta at 10am on a Saturday.

That probably doesn't help you - sorry - but it does answer the question about broadcast radio coverage!

You can find out the weekly schedules on the Fan 590 website.
Brilliant! Thank you- checking schedules now.

Old Mar 26th 2008, 3:39 pm
Swollen Member

Oh- just found out it's the "early" game so can watch at home before heading out.

Thanks all for the still useful advice.
Old Mar 26th 2008, 4:05 pm
Analyst for hire

Ben W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks and thanks.

I didn't see the wikipedia article but having delved further into the BBC site had made the assumption the satellite so and so's have monopolised the market here in North America.
No they haven't monopolised the market, if they had then the merger between then wouldn't have been no rejected by the DoJ. Plenty of other competition to the satellite radio companies, as people here have mentioned not everyone likes paying a subscription.
Old Mar 26th 2008, 4:14 pm
Swollen Member

Originally Posted by Ben W Bell
No they haven't monopolised the market, if they had then the merger between then wouldn't have been no rejected by the DoJ. Plenty of other competition to the satellite radio companies, as people here have mentioned not everyone likes paying a subscription.
I meant purely in terms of the BBC World Service being available via Satellite and not short wave anymore.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.