Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

World first coloured circulation coin

World first coloured circulation coin

Old Oct 22nd 2004, 4:35 pm
Forum Regular

Brodel is just really niceBrodel is just really niceBrodel is just really niceBrodel is just really niceBrodel is just really niceBrodel is just really niceBrodel is just really niceBrodel is just really niceBrodel is just really niceBrodel is just really niceBrodel is just really nice
Default World first coloured circulation coin

Here is a bit off the the Canadian Mint's website, it looks nice if you ask me
http://www.mint.ca/poppy/home.asp

"To meet the engineering and design challenges entailed in producing the world's first- ever coloured circulation coin, the Royal Canadian Mint perfected a high speed colouring process that will generate 30 million coins. The process ensures that the colour adheres to the metal and is resistant against wear from daily use or from exposure to common household products and detergents. With normal wear and tear, the colour should remain for one to three years, but can be removed with harsh chemicals or friction. A permanent poppy has been struck on the coin which will retain its full value, even if the red colour has been removed."

Old Oct 22nd 2004, 4:44 pm
The Green Engine

SirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: World first coloured circulation coin

Originally Posted by Brodel
Here is a bit off the the Canadian Mint's website, it looks nice if you ask me
http://www.mint.ca/poppy/home.asp

"To meet the engineering and design challenges entailed in producing the world's first- ever coloured circulation coin, the Royal Canadian Mint perfected a high speed colouring process that will generate 30 million coins. The process ensures that the colour adheres to the metal and is resistant against wear from daily use or from exposure to common household products and detergents. With normal wear and tear, the colour should remain for one to three years, but can be removed with harsh chemicals or friction. A permanent poppy has been struck on the coin which will retain its full value, even if the red colour has been removed."

Bet those are going to be collected by numismatists the world over.

Last edited by SirTainly; Oct 22nd 2004 at 4:46 pm.
Old Oct 22nd 2004, 4:51 pm
Once bemused

Rhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really nice

Available exclusively at Tim Horton's, apparently!
Old Oct 22nd 2004, 4:53 pm
The Green Engine

SirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Rhodes
Probably worth getting a few and flogging them on Ebay then!! '
Old Oct 22nd 2004, 4:56 pm
Once bemused

Rhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really nice

Yes, indeed! I just wish I could be in Canada a bit sooner than now looks possible. They might run out!
Old Oct 22nd 2004, 5:01 pm
The Green Engine

Yes, indeed! I just wish I could be in Canada a bit sooner than now looks possible. They might run out!
Wonder if they'll be any left by Jan ???
Old Oct 22nd 2004, 5:04 pm
Once bemused

I quite like them in a way but I don't like the idea of officially minted coins being made available exclusively to a place that sells coffee and doughnuts. Seems wrong somehow.
Old Oct 22nd 2004, 6:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation

Right on Rhodes......I'm now the proud owner of two of them that I got from Timmy's...

Old Oct 22nd 2004, 6:43 pm
Glaswegian

Originally Posted by Brodel
With normal wear and tear, the colour should remain for one to three years, but can be removed with harsh chemicals or friction. A permanent poppy has been struck on the coin which will retain its full value, even if the red colour has been removed."
Not that permanent apparently - our local news carried the story last night and pointed out that people in the Maritimes were finding the colour was coming off already. I assume that they were only subjecting the coins to normal wear and tear.

Mrs G

Old Oct 22nd 2004, 6:47 pm
Once bemused

What's the other side like?
Old Oct 22nd 2004, 6:48 pm
Once bemused

Perhaps it's the friction of people's pockets?

Originally Posted by Glaswegian
Not that permanent apparently - our local news carried the story last night and pointed out that people in the Maritimes were finding the colour was coming off already. I assume that they were only subjecting the coins to normal wear and tear.

Mrs G
Old Oct 22nd 2004, 6:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Perhaps it's the friction of people's pockets?
Haven't heard that story on the news yet.....but then we always get the news a day later than everyone else in Canada, so we'll probably hawr about it tonite. hehehe
Old Oct 23rd 2004, 7:17 pm
Once bemused

You should have stayed in Ontario.

Originally Posted by willmore
we always get the news a day later than everyone else in Canada
Old Oct 23rd 2004, 7:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

You should have stayed in Ontario.
Yea, I know, the infinity of the universe revolves around Ontario.....but I would never move back.....sometimes it better not to know the bad news.....and if we really have to know....we can always turn to CNN and watch the "blood and gore" from the world news......charming.....

How are things going with you and your family Rhodes......any more news about the house?
Old Oct 23rd 2004, 8:45 pm
Once bemused

Feeling a bit more positive about the house today. We might still get to Canada this year, which will make it the logest year of my life - a leap year, and a further 5 hours from being in Ontario.