Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Working within the Railway in Canada

Working within the Railway in Canada

Old Mar 22nd 2014, 11:18 am
Just Joined

Kieron Fletcher is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Working within the Railway in Canada

Hi everyone. My Name is Kieron and my family and I are thinking seriously of emigrating to Ontario. We have family who live in Aurora, north of Toronto so will be looking at moving within 30-40 miles of there. ( although we will be flexible if need be ) I have been working as a Train Driver for a passenger Train Operator in Northern England for 12 years. Prior to that, I was a HGV driver and before that, I was in the Army.
I am looking at keeping within the Rail Industry and am aware that it is difficult, if not impossible to step in to being a Train Driver/Locomotive Engineer in Canada without starting from the bottom. I have e mailed several companies on advice on their job application process but have constantly been fobbed off with the same, ' We do not support foreign applications b ut if you have the neccassary visa, we will be happy to look at your application'. Which never actually answered my questions as I have never asked for a jopb or asked for help with my visa or immigration questions. Is anyone here an ex-pat or does anyone know an ex-pat that works on the Railway prefably as a Driver or Guard/brakeman. I just want to know if my 12 years within British Rail serves me in my application? Would I need to do the Canadian Rail Rules course off my own bat or would they put me through it? and is it better to owrk in the Passenger side of the industry or the frieght side. I'm 42 and would be looking at going over in 2 years time. Thank you for your time in reading this.

Last edited by Kieron Fletcher; Mar 22nd 2014 at 11:32 am.
Old Mar 22nd 2014, 12:17 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Working within the Railway in Canada

Originally Posted by Kieron Fletcher
I have e mailed several companies on advice on their job application process but have constantly been fobbed off with the same, ' We do not support foreign applications b ut if you have the neccassary visa, we will be happy to look at your application'. Which never actually answered my questions as I have never asked for a jopb or asked for help with my visa or immigration questions.
So do you already have a visa or PR?

I think that their point is that most people emigrating to Canada require a job offer and sponsorship to get a visa, but they won't do that for foreign applicants - so unless you have another route to a visa, it's a non starter from the sound of things.

The visa really needs to be your first bit of research, as without that you won't be on the right track (boom boom!).
Old Mar 24th 2014, 2:58 am
Just Joined

Thanks for your answer but I don't think I am quite getting what I am looking for across too well. We are still at a stage of making a full decision on whether to emigrate. There is no point if we are not going to better our position.
I am just inquiring whether my age and experience within the British Rail industry, would be a hinderance or advantage in any job application. I'm 43 now and feel that being a brake man might not be an advantage as, i am lead to believe, quite physically demanding and the fact that British Rail may not be of the same standard as Canadian Rail industry. Obviously, when If I feel that moving to Cnada is going to better my family and myself, then I will get the right visa and then put in job applications.
Old Mar 24th 2014, 3:04 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for your answer but I don't think I am quite getting what I am looking for across too well. We are still at a stage of making a full decision on whether to emigrate. There is no point if we are not going to better our position.
I am just inquiring whether my age and experience within the British Rail industry, would be a hinderance or advantage in any job application. I'm 43 now and feel that being a brake man might not be an advantage as, i am lead to believe, quite physically demanding and the fact that British Rail may not be of the same standard as Canadian Rail industry. Obviously, when If I feel that moving to Cnada is going to better my family and myself, then I will get the right visa and then put in job applications.
Dear Kieron: Read the wiki.
Old Mar 24th 2014, 4:05 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

These links may be of use.

http://www.cn.ca/en/careers/rewards-...ng-development

Railway conductors require a Canadian Rail Operating Rules certificate.
Brakemen/women require a Canadian Rail Operating Rules certificate.

http://www.cpr.ca/EN/CAREERS/OPERATI...conductor.aspx

http://www.servicecanada.gc.ca/eng/q...ics/7362.shtml

You should be aware that you are very unlikely to be able to get any kind of work permit or permanent residence application in place without a job offer.
Old Mar 24th 2014, 4:17 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Just be aware the union is very protective of their members and don't allow too many outsiders in.
Old Mar 24th 2014, 7:18 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

No, I do understand what you're asking, but my point is that from what you've said, you're not eligible for a visa anyway. So unless you can get a job offer/sponsorship (and it seems you've been told they won't do that), or another route to a visa such as your wife's job, you wouldn't be able to move.

It just seems to be putting the cart before the horse to worry about jobs if you can't even get over there in the first place, and with the greatest of respect, if members of the forum are going to take time to help you, then they'll want to know you've got a shot at a visa first so they don't waste that time.

Once you've researched visas and know you'd be able to move, then that's the time to look at everything else such as jobs, schools, climate, housing, healthcare etc. But without a visa (or the possibility of one) then the rest is a moot point.

Does that make sense now?
Old Mar 24th 2014, 7:50 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

To best of my knowledge you will likely have to start entry level as almost everything at rail roads is union and based on seniority like many union jobs, where you have to put in your time before moving into non-entry level positions.
Old Mar 24th 2014, 4:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

neilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond repute

If you still have your HGV license you could get into Canada with that on a temporary work permit (TWP) then apply for permanent residency (PR).The only thing is,Ontario doesnt grant PR to foreign drivers .Unless your wife has qualifications to apply for PR in ON ,you will have to work,live and apply in an other province like AB,SK or MB.Then once you have PR you can do any job you want.
Old Mar 25th 2014, 1:32 am
Just Joined

Again, christmasoompa, clearly everyone works in different ways. My way is, I'd rather know that I have a chance at employment before I bother to worry about anything else. Of course I have looked in to a work visa and, despite your own opinion, having done the visa and immigration application, my partner and I do qualify for a temporary work visa even though only my partner is guarenteed a job at the moment. I am only asking about the processes of job applications for my chosen field. I have been in British Rail for 12 years which is also Union led so I am fully aware of the ins and out of Union led companies. I am most grateful for the constructive and informative information that as been given thus far. As, I have previously stated, we have family already in Canada who have citizenship. It would just be interesting to hear from someone who as moved to Canada to work on the railway. We have many people going to Canada, Australia and New Zealand to work for their rail industry, unfortunately, I have not been able to speak to any of them on how they did it, what they needed to get the job and the process for applying. If anyone knows anyone who works on the rail, It would be interesting to here their perspective on how it is and whether it would be worth while.

Last edited by Kieron Fletcher; Mar 25th 2014 at 1:37 am.
Old Mar 25th 2014, 1:42 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Of course I have looked in to a work visa and, despite your own opinion, having done the visa and immigration application, my partner and I do qualify for a temporary work visa even though only my partner is guarenteed a job at the moment.
That's the first time you've mentioned a partner. Don't blame people for advising you based on whatever previous information you provided.

Now the question becomes, what visa has your partner applied for and in which province? What are your partner's guarantees of employment? What NOC code is your partners possible job in?

We'll help you if you help us to help.
Old Mar 25th 2014, 1:52 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Again, christmasoompa, clearly everyone works in different ways. My way is, I'd rather know that I have a chance at employment before I bother to worry about anything else. Of course I have looked in to a work visa and, despite your own opinion, having done the visa and immigration application, my partner and I do qualify for a temporary work visa even though only my partner is guarenteed a job at the moment. I am only asking about the processes of job applications for my chosen field. I have been in British Rail for 12 years which is also Union led so I am fully aware of the ins and out of Union led companies. I am most grateful for the constructive and informative information that as been given thus far. As, I have previously stated, we have family already in Canada who have citizenship. It would just be interesting to hear from someone who as moved to Canada to work on the railway. We have many people going to Canada, Australia and New Zealand to work for their rail industry, unfortunately, I have not been able to speak to any of them on how they did it, what they needed to get the job and the process for applying. If anyone knows anyone who works on the rail, It would be interesting to here their perspective on how it is and whether it would be worth while.
With respect, at no time did you mention previously that your partner has been offered a job (unless the LMO has already been approved, there are no guarantees, by the way). Christmasoompa was quite correctly pointing out that you would need to obtain a job offer (either one of you) so that you could apply for a TWP and onwards for PR.

Having family here will make no difference (apart from gaining a few points for a FSW application) unless they live in one of the very few Provinces that have a family sponsorship stream.

You have been given links for the companies and what they require in the hiring process, the training and qualifications needed for both railways and, in addition, the requirements for your partner to become certified in different Provinces before they would be allowed to work in their field that would be helpful to you in understanding what is required.

There are a couple of forums around for Railway workers and you may be able to get more concrete information about how to get hired by having a read over them;; unfortunately I am not aware of any BE members who are actively working on the railroad here (though watch some come out and post now, lol).

Old Mar 25th 2014, 7:40 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Wink Re: Working within the Railway in Canada

Of course I have looked in to a work visa and, despite your own opinion, having done the visa and immigration application, my partner and I do qualify for a temporary work visa even though only my partner is guarenteed a job at the moment.
Ah, ok - if you'd mentioned that before the responses would have been different!

It seemed as though you hadn't applied for anything, much less that your partner had already managed to get a job offer and LMO.

But if you've already applied for your TWP's then that's very different. What 'immigration' application have you applied for too? If you'll be a PR when you go over then that would make a big difference. You could then apply to the company you mentioned above, who said they wouldn't sponsor a LMO app, but that they'd happily consider you if you already have a visa. If you'd mentioned in your first post that you have already applied for your visa so need no company to go to any expense or hassle to hire you, we'd have known you were already work authorised - which makes a huuuuuge difference!

And what job will your partner be doing and where? That will also make a difference.

The more info you can give us, the more we can help.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Mar 26th 2014 at 3:11 pm.
Old Mar 25th 2014, 11:53 am
Just Joined

My Partner will be working at a company that her cousin works for. They provide and maintaining the software and hardware to multi nationals and super market cahins like wal mart for their tilling/distribution networks throughout North and central America. She will be dealing with getting new customers and managing the various accounts. My whole point is, I just want to ask someone from Britain, who is now working on the railway in Canada, their experience. How they went about it and was it worth it. I have a financially stable life here in the UK. I am paid very well and live in a nice area however, my partner and I feel that the UK is not going in the right direction as a society. I have served time in Cnada with the British Army and have gone there man many times on holiday and, out of all of the country's I have gone to and lived, Canada as far been the best place, I feel, for raising a family.
All of the visa and other important things that are needed to be obtained before even applying for a job, I am fully aware of but do not need any help or advice on as that is either in place or being put in place. I just need advice on the whole working experience of
Old Mar 25th 2014, 12:12 pm
Just Joined

Sorry, I didn't mention my partner or our visa application etc as I don't need any advice on this matter. All I really want is to chat to a ex Brit who as moved to Canada to work on the railway. I would like to know how they went about it. How Difficult it is to adapt the different rule processes and to progress to becoming a Loco Engineer. How my experience here will help or not, if that is the case. I am not asking for a job per se just advice on which are the best companies, freight or passenger and the process of application.
My partner will be working at the company her cousin works for in Totonto. They provide and maintain the software/hardware for multi nationals like Wal Mart, for their tilling and distribution side of their operations throughout North America.
We have a comfortable life here in the UK and I am paid wel ( approx $75k CD per annum. ) However, my partner and I feel that the society within the UK as a whole is going in the wrong direction and feel that we need to move to somewhere we feel that will benefit our family for generations to come. This is a big decision and not one we will take lightly.
It would seem that I haven't got my point across. I have done all the research and asked all of the advice I need on visas, permits, best places to live, etc. I am not seeking anything on that side of things as important as they are, I know.
I do appreciate any advice, good or bad. I would like to know before we actually do decide to emigrate whether it is the right decision. I ask lots of questions every year when we visit our family that live there. I spent some time based in Alberta whilst serving in the British Army. mY partner and I have gone to Canada numerous times and and know a bit about what the place is like and it's culture. We are not going in totally blind as if we would had we chose Australia or New Zealand.
If anyone knows of someone who works on ther railway, prefably an ex pat, their advice and experience would be much appreciated. Thank you all for your comments.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.