Reload this Page >

Working life in Canada?

Wikiposts

Working life in Canada?

Old Dec 25th 2007, 11:05 pm
Just Joined

greatwhite is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Working life in Canada?

Hi, I currently work as a Podiatrist (Chiropodist) in the UK for the NHS (Monday to Friday 9-5 job with 5 weeks holiday).

I've always wanted to work and live in Canada and in recent Podiatry journals there have been some jobs advertised for what I think is a private practice. What sort of hours do people normally work in this sort of field? What sort of holidays do people normally receive? The adverts are usually for Winnipeg area and in Saskatchewan.

Also, how long would I initially be allowed to stay and is it easy to get an extension if I wanted to stay for good? I assume I would initially only be able to rent property rather than buy when I first arrived.

If it's relevant I'm currently 29, married with one child and another on the way. I've been working in my field for over two years now.

Sorry for all the questions, and thanks in anticipation of any replies.
Old Dec 26th 2007, 12:03 am
BE Forum Addict

YYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Working life in Canada?

Hi Greatwhite.

Welcome to the board. Please read the wiki. A lot of your questions will be answered there and in the sites it links to. When you stumble on something you don't understand, feel free to ask here.

Happy Holidays

YYZlover (giving Judy a bit of a break)
Old Dec 26th 2007, 12:33 am
Just Joined

Oops, didn't see that. Thanks. Anyway, it looks like I'd be able to get a Temporary Work Permit (although I'm not sure how long that would last or how long I'm allowed to stay on that) and then apply for permanent residence which would hopefully, in this case, only take a year providing it was succesful.

Also, I cannot see why it wouldn't be possible to buy a property, although this would be foolish unless I had a succesful application for permanent residence accepted?

Finally, I can see that there are about 9 days of 'public holiday' but not much info regarding holidays provided by employers. I was just after a ball park figure for this. Is around 4 weeks the normal amount? More? Less? I'm assuming with a private Podiatry/Chiropody that weekends and evenings may have to be worked. To be honest I was just wondering that some people who may have visited such a clinic may be able to inform me of the opening hours. However I may be able to google this info.
Old Dec 26th 2007, 12:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Maple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to behold

hi there and welcome

as to the holidays/vacation times......it varies..you will hear many different alloted times. some as short as 2 weeks per year.

however i work in Health Care..and within my field of work and the health authority i work with it is 6 weeks, per year with extra time accumulated for working weekends and public holidays.

so if you are told people in Canada only get 2 weeks off per year! it isnt' true...it is true that SOME do..but not all.

all the best~ Maple Leaf~
Old Dec 26th 2007, 12:51 am
Just Joined

That's not bad. I'd be over the moon with six weeks! I could get by with two to be honest especially with almost 10 days public holiday. Of course more is always better

Thanks for the info so far.
Old Dec 26th 2007, 2:30 am
Account Closed

Beebop is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by greatwhite
Hi, I currently work as a Podiatrist (Chiropodist) in the UK for the NHS (Monday to Friday 9-5 job with 5 weeks holiday).

I've always wanted to work and live in Canada and in recent Podiatry journals there have been some jobs advertised for what I think is a private practice. What sort of hours do people normally work in this sort of field? What sort of holidays do people normally receive? The adverts are usually for Winnipeg area and in Saskatchewan.

Also, how long would I initially be allowed to stay and is it easy to get an extension if I wanted to stay for good? I assume I would initially only be able to rent property rather than buy when I first arrived.

If it's relevant I'm currently 29, married with one child and another on the way. I've been working in my field for over two years now.

Sorry for all the questions, and thanks in anticipation of any replies.
& you can buy a house, there are no restrictions on buying property.
Old Dec 26th 2007, 3:29 am
Banned

Surrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Maple Leaf
hi there and welcome

as to the holidays/vacation times......it varies..you will hear many different alloted times. some as short as 2 weeks per year.

however i work in Health Care..and within my field of work and the health authority i work with it is 6 weeks, per year with extra time accumulated for working weekends and public holidays.

so if you are told people in Canada only get 2 weeks off per year! it isnt' true...it is true that SOME do..but not all.

all the best~ Maple Leaf~
Vacation pay from BC Employment Standards. This is the minimum, however non governmental employers follow this.

(1) An employer must pay an employee the following amount of vacation pay:

(a) after 5 calendar days of employment, at least 4% of the employee's total wages during the year of employment entitling the employee to the vacation pay;

(b) after 5 consecutive years of employment, at least 6% of the employee's total wages during the year of employment entitling the employee to the vacation pay.
Old Dec 26th 2007, 4:02 am
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Oops, didn't see that. Thanks. Anyway, it looks like I'd be able to get a Temporary Work Permit (although I'm not sure how long that would last or how long I'm allowed to stay on that) and then apply for permanent residence which would hopefully, in this case, only take a year providing it was succesful.

A temp WP can be issued for up to 3yrs, and may be renewed at the end of its term. PR applications can take 4yrs+. If your occupation is suitable, and your experience relevant, in some provinces an employer can sponsor you through the process and PR can be gained in under a year.

Also, I cannot see why it wouldn't be possible to buy a property, although this would be foolish unless I had a succesful application for permanent residence accepted?

No problem buying property, and if your plans are to stay in Canada long term then perhaps it's a better option then spending money on rent. I'm 2yrs into my 3yr WP, and purchased a property a week after arriving.
Old Dec 26th 2007, 4:33 am
Just Joined

Hi R I C H that is most helpful. I guess buying a house may be worthwhile initially then, especially if it may take 4 years + and if the housing market is reasonably stable. I'd not be too chuffed if I had to leave and the house I had bought was worth less than I paid for it

Are you planning on staying longer than your 3 years?
Old Dec 26th 2007, 4:40 am
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Hi R I C H that is most helpful. I guess buying a house may be worthwhile initially then, especially if it may take 4 years + and if the housing market is reasonably stable. I'd not be too chuffed if I had to leave and the house I had bought was worth less than I paid for it

Are you planning on staying longer than your 3 years?
Yes, I applied for PR while still in the UK (AOR June '05). I had my 90 day update letter arrive last week, so expect to have PR sometime within the next 6mths.

In the area of BC that I live, house prices have risen quickly over the past 3yrs (45% growth according to a realtor friend). This coming year it's set to continue, albeit at a slightly lower rate.
Old Dec 26th 2007, 4:57 am
BE Enthusiast

jerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Surrey Expat
Vacation pay from BC Employment Standards. This is the minimum, however non governmental employers follow this.

(1) An employer must pay an employee the following amount of vacation pay:

(a) after 5 calendar days of employment, at least 4% of the employee's total wages during the year of employment entitling the employee to the vacation pay;

(b) after 5 consecutive years of employment, at least 6% of the employee's total wages during the year of employment entitling the employee to the vacation pay.
Hi
Thanks for posting this.
It seems to explain why my vacation allowance went up because I had worked overtime..
Cheers
Jerry
Old Dec 26th 2007, 6:33 am
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

This site may be helpful as a start, if you haven't already come across it.

http://www.cicic.ca/en/professions.a...21&prof=3123.1

and this: http://www.podiatrycanada.org/faqs.html

I suspect that you would have to have your UK qualifications evaluated and then apply to register with the licensing body of your chosen province. This involves some time, expense, and I don't know if they have a credentialling exam like we do in physiotherapy.

The question of paid vacation may be academic if you are working in private practice, as I believe you are often paid on a contractual basis rather than as an employee, so if you have time off, it is unpaid.

Also under this type of employment you don't get other benefits, so have to organise your own private insurances etc .... you need to look into all this before considering accepting a job.

Last edited by Alberta_Rose; Dec 26th 2007 at 6:37 am.
Old Dec 26th 2007, 10:34 am
Just Joined

Thanks Morwenna, some useful info there too. I must admit it does seem a little expensive, however that's not so much of an issue if my cost of living is lower and salary slightly higher.

Just out of interest, apart from private practice what is the 'state/provincial' healthcare service like from an employees point of view?
Old Dec 26th 2007, 11:47 am
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Morwenna, some useful info there too. I must admit it does seem a little expensive, however that's not so much of an issue if my cost of living is lower and salary slightly higher.

Just out of interest, apart from private practice what is the 'state/provincial' healthcare service like from an employees point of view?
This quote is from the seond of my links:

Why is an office fee charged to the patient?
Podiatric medicine does not fall under the Canada Health Act, therefore podiatrists receive limited or no provincial health plan coverage. As a result, podiatrists charge a fee for their services.

It appears from the above that there may well be no such animal working in the "provincial Healthcare service" In any event each and every province is entirely a law unto themselves, and as such should be investigated separately.

I can only answer as a physiotherapist, who has worked in the Calgary Health Region. We are quite strongly unionised, and the union (HSAA) negotiates our pay and conditions. PT's have 15 days paid vacation, for example, plus sick days, and are paid within a salary range depending on your documented hours worked in the past 5 years, irrespective of your actual experience (ie what you were actually doing in those 5 years).
Old Dec 26th 2007, 6:24 pm
Just Joined

birdman is an unknown quantity at this point

There is information on Podiatry Arena about working in Canada as a Podiatrist. For those with a UK qualification, Ontario is the only option.
See this:
http://www.podiatry-arena.com/podiat...splay.php?f=13

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.