Reload this Page >

Working as a childminder in canada

Working as a childminder in canada

Old Nov 17th 2013, 11:20 am
Just Joined

Liv Lord is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Working as a childminder in canada

Hello,
My husband and I, along with our 5 month old, are in the process of applying for visas to live and work in Canada. My husband is an automotive engineer and I am a primary school teacher. As it is so difficult to find work as a primary school teacher in Canada, I also have a certificate in childcare. I was wondering if anybody could help me in finding out about job prospects in childcare (minding other children in my home, or at a day care centre), what I would need to do to get my qualifications recognised and what do people normally charge per hour for childminding?
Thanks very much for your time and any information would be much appreciated.
Liv
Old Nov 17th 2013, 12:17 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Working as a childminder in canada

Hi, and welcome to BE.

As with everything in Canada, it's very much province dependent. Where will you be moving to, and on what visa?
Old Nov 17th 2013, 5:09 pm
Just Joined

My husband would have the temporary work visa and myself and my daughter will accompany him. We would be in BC.
Old Nov 17th 2013, 5:45 pm
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

You'll need a medical to work with children
I'm assuming your husbands TWP is in a category that allows you to get a spousal open one?

Even so you'll need to do your medical before getting your work permit
Old Nov 17th 2013, 5:56 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Zoe Bell,
Yes my husbands TWP is one of the listed skills for Canada. We were at a Canadian EXPO a few weeks ago and spoke to some immigration officials.

After I would have my medical, clearances, permit etc would I be able to register someplace and start advertising and working as a child minder? Is there a big need/demand for qualified child minders in Vancouver, BC?
Old Nov 17th 2013, 6:10 pm
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

I'm in Ontario
I have no idea but putting " child care bc" into google returned some useful links
Old Nov 17th 2013, 6:58 pm
Forum Regular

ladylord is an unknown quantity at this point

You're also considering Shanghai??
Old Nov 17th 2013, 8:08 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Liv Lord
Thanks Zoe Bell,
Yes my husbands TWP is one of the listed skills for Canada.
I think Zoe was asking about the skill level of your husband's job - as you won't automatically get an open work permit, it will depend on his job.

So do just double that you'll be able to work before you research the childcare requirements too much.
Old Nov 17th 2013, 8:24 pm
Just Joined

As far as I am aware, and what we have been told by the Canadian immigration spokes people, my husbands line of work and skills are required in Canada. He would need a job offer and then a LMO for his employer. I was told that if this happened I could get a visa to move over with him. I am merely trying to figure out if he happens to be successful, what are the job prospects like for me once we're out there if they're not good, we may have to rethink our plans. As much as we'd love to move to Canada, relying on just my husbands salary could be difficult to start with, in particular with a baby. It would be nice to know my options.
Thanks
Old Nov 17th 2013, 8:55 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

As far as I am aware, and what we have been told by the Canadian immigration spokes people, my husbands line of work and skills are required in Canada.
They may be required in Canada, but that doesn't mean you'll get a Spousal Open Work Permit even if they are - for instance, if he was a truck driver and you were moving to Ontario, you wouldn't get a SOWP. I've no idea what NOC code an automotive engineer is, and although I'd assume it's 'skilled', then it's definitely something you should look in to.

To put it in a bit more detail, if his job is Skill Level A, O or B, then you would be able to get a SOWP, but if it's Skill Level C or D, then you can't get a SOWP.

He would need a job offer and then a LMO for his employer. I was told that if this happened I could get a visa to move over with him.
You would certainly get a visa to go with him, but that visa may not allow you to work, depending on the Skill Level as above.

HTH clarify it a bit? Particularly as you've said relying on his salary could be tricky, so you do need to double check that and make sure that you'll even be able to work.

Good luck.
Old Nov 17th 2013, 9:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

FlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm guessing the husband is classified as NOC 7321 "automotive service technicians"? If so, that's skill level B, so the wife would qualify for an open work permit.

In Canada, you can't legally call yourself an engineer without a professional licence. Which usually requires an engineering degree.
Old Nov 17th 2013, 9:16 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by FlyingDutchman6666
I'm guessing the husband is classified as NOC 7321 "automotive service technicians"? If so, that's skill level B, so the wife would qualify for an open work permit.
Might well be, but without knowing his duties etc it's hard to say for sure - that's why I was pointing the OP in the right direction, so she could do the research and double check she can definitely work in Canada.
Old Nov 17th 2013, 9:20 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for your replys. We'll look into it further.
Cheers
Old Nov 18th 2013, 2:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

ninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond repute

I am in Ontario and here to call yourself childminder you have to be licensed or have some sort of certification/approval (not sure how/what) but it can be avoided by calling it "babysitting". I know quite a few stay at home mums that offer "babysitting" in their own homes. They advertise in local FB pages or playgroups. They charge anywhere between $20 and $40 per day. In Ottawa there were some charging up to $55 per day. It all depends on the area if it's a city or rural and how many other child minders are in that area.
On a TWP assuming you qualify for a SOWP you need a medical to work with kids.
Old Nov 19th 2013, 8:36 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

You would need an up-front medical before the SOWP is issued otherwise there will be conditions on it stating you cannot work in childcare/health services. You can find out more about getting it done here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/informa...exams-temp.asp

On the 'working in Canada' website it states that Child Minders (Child care workers) are not required to be certified if running a private child care (own home) however, you would need permits from the City.

Day care workers don't have to be certified but they may need membership of an association in BC.

You can read more here: http://www.workingincanada.gc.ca/rep...abs_container2

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.