Reload this Page >

working for a Canadian company while in the US

working for a Canadian company while in the US

Old Jan 7th 2012, 5:52 pm
Just Joined

chips will become famous soon enoughchips will become famous soon enough
Default working for a Canadian company while in the US

Hi,
I'm a UK born permanant resident of Canada.

I would like to go to the US for 3 months.
My full time Canadian employer has agreed to me working remotely while I am there on a freelance basis.
My pay will be going automatically into my Canadian BMO account.

Will the US border have any issues with this?
I plan to take a letter from my employer stating that I will be working for them and show them a return ticket for the maximum 3 month stay.
Old Jan 7th 2012, 6:07 pm
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: working for a Canadian company while in the US

Originally Posted by chips
Hi,
I'm a UK born permanant resident of Canada.

I would like to go to the US for 3 months.
My full time Canadian employer has agreed to me working remotely while I am there on a freelance basis.
My pay will be going automatically into my Canadian BMO account.

Will the US border have any issues with this?
I plan to take a letter from my employer stating that I will be working for them and show them a return ticket for the maximum 3 month stay.
I doubt the US authorities would knowingly permit you to work in the US without a SSN and the resultant payment of US Taxes.
Old Jan 7th 2012, 6:18 pm
Just Joined

chips will become famous soon enoughchips will become famous soon enough

even if it's freelancing for a Canadian company and I'm getting paid into a Canadian bank?
Old Jan 7th 2012, 7:27 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

even if it's freelancing for a Canadian company and I'm getting paid into a Canadian bank?
You are not supposed to work while in the US, even a sales rep can make visits to customers, but should not make sales, orders should be sent by the customer directly to the company in Canada. In reality this may not happen. If you do online sales in Canada, take the goods across to post them in the US, you have to employ a US worker to pack them for you if the packing is done in the US (which it would be because of customs inspection).

If what you are doing is on a server in Canada and you're on vacation doing work for the Canadian company using a computer probably not a problem. If you are going to be physically doing work then will likely be a problem. You letter will probably cause you more problems than it will solve.

Call US immigration and ask them.
Old Jan 7th 2012, 8:31 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

What you intend to do will need a US work visa - ask in the US immigration forum to find if there's a suitable one and if so, which it is.

You can do certain work in the US visa free, such as attending conferences, but 'proper' working as you wish to do needs a visa. It doesn't matter where you're being paid either, it's where your physical body is when you do the work that counts.

But pop over to the US section of the forum and they'll be able to help you out.

Old Jan 7th 2012, 8:33 pm
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute

What's that got to do with the USA? It's another nation entirely.
Old Jan 7th 2012, 8:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Or he could have googled the following

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis
Old Jan 7th 2012, 8:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Auld Yin
But if you are in THEIR country doing it, then THEIR rules apply.
Old Jan 7th 2012, 8:58 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Auld Yin
Provided you are not in the USA doing it, then nothing.