Reload this Page >

Working in Canada, short term

Working in Canada, short term

Old Nov 26th 2002, 7:40 pm
Just Joined

yottskry is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Working in Canada, short term

Hi there everyone,

I wonder if anyone could point me in the right direction. I'm a third year computer science student and when I graduate in summer 2003 I'd like to work abroad for a year (or possibly longer if it all went well). I thought it would be good to get travelling and working abroad out the way whilst I'm still young and not tied down to a company (or woman!). I'd like to go to Canada because although I can speak passable French and mediocre German, I'd feel more comfortable in an English speaking country and there are a few people over there I already know who could help me settle in a little quicker. Also, it's a lot closer and not as hot as Australia which is the other English speaking alternative.

Could anybody point me in the right direction of how to find employment and how to go about sorting out the visas (etc) required for working in Canada? I will have a BSc in Computer Science so that would be the sort of field I'd like to work in. Anyone's personal experiences would also be most welcome as I want to find out as much as possible.

Thanks all,

Steve
Old Nov 27th 2002, 8:09 pm
Forum Regular

tanderra will become famous soon enough

I don't know about the visa part.

But as for the work, jobs in IT are very hard to find at the moment, IT Guy at the moment are looking at 3 to 6 months before they find another contract or full time job.

It's starting to get a little better but not much. Hopefully by next year things will be better, but for now if you are looking for an IT job in Canada you will have trouble finding one.

If you have any questions about agencies in Ontario, email me. I think over the last couple of years, I should know most of them here.

Note to the wise, at present don't believe the job postings on the newsgroups. I have been watching them for the last 6 months, most companies are reposting the jobs, so to collect resumes. If you are looking for work look at the job boards where the companies have to pay to post. (at least they are real jobs)
Old Nov 28th 2002, 7:14 pm
Just Joined

Originally posted by tanderra
I don't know about the visa part.

But as for the work, jobs in IT are very hard to find at the moment, IT Guy at the moment are looking at 3 to 6 months before they find another contract or full time job.

It's starting to get a little better but not much. Hopefully by next year things will be better, but for now if you are looking for an IT job in Canada you will have trouble finding one.

If you have any questions about agencies in Ontario, email me. I think over the last couple of years, I should know most of them here.

Note to the wise, at present don't believe the job postings on the newsgroups. I have been watching them for the last 6 months, most companies are reposting the jobs, so to collect resumes. If you are looking for work look at the job boards where the companies have to pay to post. (at least they are real jobs)
Thanks, that's very helpful. What sort of agencies are you referring to? General Employment agencies or the dreaded Temp Agency?!
Old Nov 29th 2002, 1:59 pm
Forum Regular

tanderra will become famous soon enough

Alot of the companies here use, placement agencies. To cut down on the problem of interviewing the wrong people. The IT agencies place Permanent and Contract job(normally 3 month and up contracts). Not the same a general skills or general office skills agencies. Normally the general agencies don't get the IT contracts.

What area would you be caming to. I can help in the Ontario area with name, but for out West you would have to get advice from someone living there.
Old Nov 29th 2002, 6:09 pm
Just Joined

I'm completely open to suggestion on area at the moment. I don't have any definite plans, working in Canada is just something I'd like to do in the short term future before I'm tied down to anything here and lose the chance to travel. If you have any suggestions on area I'd like to hear them.