Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

working for cana group in calgary

working for cana group in calgary

Old Sep 13th 2007, 12:37 am
Just Joined

Bricasjac will become famous soon enoughBricasjac will become famous soon enough
Smile working for cana group in calgary

Hi new to the site

really informative with most if not all my Q. answered

Husbands been offered a job with above company as a joiner and will be out in March. Can anyone give us some info on working for them, pref expats and their experiences.
thanks look forward to hearing from you
Old Sep 13th 2007, 8:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: working for cana group in calgary

Congrats on job offer

You might be better posting this in the main Canada forum - or perhaps one of the moderators could move it for you?
Old Sep 14th 2007, 11:04 am
Just Joined

Bricasjac will become famous soon enoughBricasjac will become famous soon enough

Thanks

But how? Can you talk me through it?
Old Sep 14th 2007, 3:08 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

I was hoping someone in the trade would answer you. But, since no one has, I'll give it a shot.

I don't know anything about the company you've mentioned. Generally speaking tradesmen are well paid in Calgary, because of the oil boom and the building boom that is being fuelled by the oil boom. But, by the same token, accommodation is expensive in Calgary.

Another thing is that, because contractors are stretched so thin (because there's a surplus of work but a shortage of workers), they probably want their employees to work all the hours that God makes. Without knowing the specific situation, that would be my guess.

To give you an idea of how busy contractors in Calgary are, a colleague of mine is having renovations done to his house. When he phoned contractors in the hopes of getting quotes, he found that the call back rate was 10%. That is, for every ten contractors whom he phoned and left messages for, only one phoned him back.

You say you'd already found out a lot from the forum before you posted but, in case you have not stumbled on these BE Wiki articles, I'll mention them:

Calgary neighbourhoods

Calgary schooling

Renting in Canada

Housing in Canada

Also, it may help you to find your way around the forums if you read the discussion thread entitled Tips on getting the most out of the forums. (But it seems that a moderator has moved your thread to the general Canada forum -- although I do not see the "Moved" designation that usually accompanies such a thread.)

Hope that helps.
Old Sep 17th 2007, 10:24 pm
Just Joined

Hi Judy

Thanks for your reply and info which i will get round to reading. Yes I had noted the expensive housing in Calgary and am looking outside of Calgary to rent and see where we go from there. Husbands hours are your basic 9-5 with half day on sat but as you said plenty of overtime if wanted but not expected.
Can you recommend any areas outside Calgary with only a short ride into work for hubby and pos myself when we get settled? The part of the company my husband will be working for is Ace enterprise?