Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Working in Alberta

Working in Alberta

Old Feb 6th 2008, 12:48 am
Forum Regular

chits is a jewel in the roughchits is a jewel in the roughchits is a jewel in the roughchits is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Working in Alberta

Originally Posted by oilsands
I live in Fort Mc and quite frankly am fed up with the bad press.

There are TWO types of residence here:

1. Transient workers in camps who come to earn good money for short periods of time. These people live in horrible, cramped, meager accomodation that is best likened to a prison cell. They work 10, 12 hours a day then return to their accomodation to sleep.

2. Home based, permenant residents of Fort Mc. Live, work and raise families in the city. They ARE the community and enjoy this great place to live in a thriving town. They enjoy what Fort Mc has to offer, the outdoor activities, excellent schools etc etc.

I think it is obvious where the bad press is coming from, from within these two groups. Group 1 CHOOSES to live in sub standard conditions, seperate from their families and certainly do not contribute or form part of the real community of Fort Mcmurray.

Don't believe all you hear about this place.
I completely agree with U.