Reload this Page >

Work for tradesman in Ontario

Work for tradesman in Ontario

Old Jul 6th 2017, 6:52 pm
Just Joined

Elmfam is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Work for tradesman in Ontario

Hi everyone.

I have had some recent on areas that took our interest. Hopefully plenty of experience from people on here regards the building industry in Canada.

I am a gas fitter with 16 years experience also multi trade experience. Qualified joiner too.

My question is what are the best places within Ontario for tradesman. Mainly looking outside of city's as t we want to move for the lifestyle and try get away from all the huddle and bustle.

I should of mention there will be me, wife and 4 children. School areas quite important aswell as activities to keep them occupied and to meet new friends.

Looking for the as much info as possible to put ideas to the missus then we can further research areas together.

Thanks in advance everyone
Old Jul 6th 2017, 7:57 pm
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Work for tradesman in Ontario

Welcome to the BE Forum. I'm afraid I don't know much about Ontario, we're on the West Coast. But if you ever find yourself out this way I have 2 bathrooms that need fitting out!

Your big challenge is going to be to get that elusive visa which will allow you to work. Once you have that figured out, the rest will hopefully fall into place for you and your family. Good luck with it all!
Old Jul 6th 2017, 8:05 pm
Just Joined

Elmfam is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Rivingtonpike.
Where abouts are you based? Is there plenty of work in the building industry.
We have spoken about a few different places. Visa shouldn't be an issue really (hopefully)
It's just down to where the work is.
I'm aware work can be quite seasonal as it is here in England but that's where my experience in other trades will come in and hopefully keep me busy.

Thanks
Old Jul 6th 2017, 8:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

plasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elmfam
Hi Rivingtonpike.
We have spoken about a few different places. Visa shouldn't be an issue really (hopefully)
I'm aware work can be quite seasonal as it is here in England but that's where my experience in other trades will come in and hopefully keep me busy.

Thanks
Why do you think a visa won't be an issue? Have you yet determined if you qualify for immigration into Canada? It is not easy to get into Canada and you must be granted a visa before being permitted to work here.
What is your CRS score?
What is your education?
How old are you?
Do you have sufficient monies in cash?
You should read carefully Immigration and citizenship and firstly determine if you would qualify. There are many experienced immigrants on this site to provide you with knowledge and insight.
Good Luck.
Old Jul 6th 2017, 8:34 pm
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Rivingtonpike.

Thanks
Loads of work in my house alone! The place is falling down around us...

Once you've got your visa to work, from my experience a skilled tradesman is almost always busy. So busy in fact it's actually hard to get many of them to call you back in the first place. I would imagine work is rather less seasonal where we are on the West Coast as the weather is much more temperate than the prairies or out East.
Old Jul 6th 2017, 8:40 pm
Forum Regular

geoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond repute

Visa should be job one.

Without the visa no immigration.
Old Jul 7th 2017, 4:35 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Hi everyone.

I have had some recent on areas that took our interest. Hopefully plenty of experience from people on here regards the building industry in Canada.

I am a gas fitter with 16 years experience also multi trade experience. Qualified joiner too.

My question is what are the best places within Ontario for tradesman. Mainly looking outside of city's as t we want to move for the lifestyle and try get away from all the huddle and bustle.

I should of mention there will be me, wife and 4 children. School areas quite important aswell as activities to keep them occupied and to meet new friends.

Looking for the as much info as possible to put ideas to the missus then we can further research areas together.

Thanks in advance everyone
You'll need to challenge the exams to get certified here. Gas Tech requires Interprovincial certification and safety certification, two organisations.

If you are Canadian, or married to one, residency permit should not be too hard. If you are not, then it is more than a formality.
Old Jul 7th 2017, 1:20 pm
Forum Regular

Reeders has a reputation beyond reputeReeders has a reputation beyond reputeReeders has a reputation beyond reputeReeders has a reputation beyond reputeReeders has a reputation beyond reputeReeders has a reputation beyond reputeReeders has a reputation beyond reputeReeders has a reputation beyond reputeReeders has a reputation beyond reputeReeders has a reputation beyond reputeReeders has a reputation beyond repute

Visa first and then qualifying to work in your trade in Canada. Qualifications are province specific.
Do I Really Need a License to be a Gas Fitter?
Old Jul 7th 2017, 1:43 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Reeders
Visa first and then qualifying to work in your trade in Canada.
The OP will likely need provincial certification first before being able to apply for a visa - for a Federal Skilled Trade visa, that's part of the eligibility requirements.

HTH.
Old Jul 13th 2017, 4:38 pm
Forum Regular

Reeders has a reputation beyond reputeReeders has a reputation beyond reputeReeders has a reputation beyond reputeReeders has a reputation beyond reputeReeders has a reputation beyond reputeReeders has a reputation beyond reputeReeders has a reputation beyond reputeReeders has a reputation beyond reputeReeders has a reputation beyond reputeReeders has a reputation beyond reputeReeders has a reputation beyond repute

Tradesmen are in short supply everywhere in Canada. Once you have your visa and your Canadian qualifications, you can basically live anywhere you want to.

I live in a small town of 3000 people and there is no shortage of work here for the local tradesmen. Just like anywhere else, trying to get them to come and do some work for you is like pulling teeth. They have more work than they can handle.

So like I said, first the visa and qualification, put your time and effort into those and don't worry about 'where are the best places in Ontario'. Best will not be defined by whether there is work available. Best will be defined by what other factors are important to you. The work you will get anywhere.

Schools will NOT be a factor in your decision either. Basically all Canadian schools are pretty equal in the education they provide to their students. It is not like the UK where you have to concern yourself about being in a 'good' school's catchment area.