Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Work Permits and LMO's

Work Permits and LMO's

Old Sep 5th 2007, 9:15 am
Just Joined

bobt is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Work Permits and LMO's

Hi, Sorry if this has been done before but I'm new to the site.

I've a permanent job offer in Canada but am still waiting for an LMO. Can I submit my work permit application without it, on the basis that it has been applied for and is coming or should I hold off until I get it.

Would submitting without it speed things up, slow things down or make no difference?

Thanks
Old Sep 5th 2007, 9:23 am
BE Forum Addict

gryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Work Permits and LMO's

Originally Posted by bobt

I've a permanent job offer in Canada but am still waiting for an LMO. Can I submit my work permit application without it, on the basis that it has been applied for and is coming or should I hold off until I get it.

Would submitting without it speed things up, slow things down or make no difference?

Thanks
You can apply for a work permit concurrently. Do a search of the Immigration page and you should get some answers. One downside may be that, like us, if your LMO application is longer than 90 days they can throw it out. I hope they don't do this with us as CIC are encouraging concurrent processing , but alberta's LMOs are soooo long............

Gryphea
Old Sep 5th 2007, 9:32 am
Just Joined

bobt is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks, I'll have a look at the immegration site but I'll probably go ahead and apply now.
Old Sep 5th 2007, 12:20 pm

terese677 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks
I went recently to CHC and there was a man in the queue in front of me who was applying for a work permit, and the admin person at the desk asked him for his LMO, he said he didn't have one yet as he thought he could apply for a wp and wait for his LMO, she said"who told you this, no you need an LMO"
and told him to go away until he was able to give his LMO with his WP!
When it was my turn she said straight away" have you your LMO"
Now I don't know whether she was having an off day but she certainly refused even to look at the WP application without the LMO
Terese
Old Sep 5th 2007, 2:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

PeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond repute

I filled out my work permit application form and submitted it at the airport, they never even looked at it. The LMO and job offer was all immigration were interested in before they gave me the work permit.

The only downside to doing it the above way, was the feeling in the gut at the time, hoping I hadn't forgotten something. (I took everything I could think of that they may possibly ask for).
Old Sep 5th 2007, 3:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

gryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond repute

Here are the details on concurrent processing:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/EnGLIsh/work/processing.asp
Old Sep 5th 2007, 5:50 pm
Truro NS

wbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks
Please share how you managed to get a job offer!
Old Sep 5th 2007, 6:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

PeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wbexpat

I'm my case 'LUCK', wrote to the right company at the right time with a copy of my resume.

Actually I wrote to about 4 companies in my field, telling them I was visiting Canada during such a such a period, and I was looking for work in Canada.

One responded, interviewed me and applied for the LMO.

I would doubt there is no right way, just try all ways. I did it this way as I read that most agencies did not bother if you were not already in the country.
Old Sep 5th 2007, 6:32 pm
Forum Regular

redrosed is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by wbexpat
I answered a job advertisement in a UK magazine, was interviewed twice and had an 'all costs covered' visit to Canada. I suppose I must have what someone wants out there!
Old Sep 5th 2007, 6:34 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by redrosed
I answered a job advertisement in a UK magazine, was interviewed twice and had an 'all costs covered' visit to Canada. I suppose I must have what someone wants out there!
OOps, I'm bobt, redrosed is my wife's 'name'.
Old Sep 5th 2007, 7:02 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by gryphea
Here are the details on concurrent processing:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/EnGLIsh/work/processing.asp
Sorry, I'm still repying under my wife's 'name'. Thanks for this link. I couldn't find it for looking. It has been very useful.

bobt
Old Sep 5th 2007, 9:54 pm
Just Joined

NorthernTart is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there,
Does anyone have any experience of applying for concurrent processing of a work permit whilst you have an application going through the PNP for BC (or any other Province)?
I can see it's ok to apply for a work permit whlist waiting for a LMO but how about before the provincial nomination has been agreed/approved?
I've done search after search but can't find any reference to this.
Anybody got any experience or views on what the likely outcome would be?