Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Work permit help....top tip!

Work permit help....top tip!

Old Nov 23rd 2005, 10:04 pm
Just Joined

alexbkeane is on a distinguished road
Default Work permit help....top tip!

I recently posted a problem with work permits, I'm waiting for a spousal sponsorship to come through from the UK, but its taking time. I want to start working but I have to wait until the permit comes through. I'm supposed to remain in the UK until I'm authorised to come to Canada, but as my wife wanted to come home (she's Canadian) I am here on a tourist visa.

I have just found an alternative option. Apparently if I take a letter confirming my job offer to the border, or to the immigration office in Seattle, I can get a temporary work permit issued on the spot!
I was told this by the call centre for the immigration department.

Anyone else heard this?
Its a top tip if you are in a similar situation to myself.
Any other problems I could encounter with this??

Thanks
Alex
Old Nov 23rd 2005, 11:04 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Work permit help....top tip!

Hi

Originally Posted by alexbkeane
I recently posted a problem with work permits, I'm waiting for a spousal sponsorship to come through from the UK, but its taking time. I want to start working but I have to wait until the permit comes through. I'm supposed to remain in the UK until I'm authorised to come to Canada, but as my wife wanted to come home (she's Canadian) I am here on a tourist visa.

I have just found an alternative option. Apparently if I take a letter confirming my job offer to the border, or to the immigration office in Seattle, I can get a temporary work permit issued on the spot!

Anyone else heard this?

Thanks
Alex
Except the job has to be HRSDC exempt from validation to what you are suggesting. There are not many of them see: http://www.cic.gc.ca/manuals-guides/...h/fw/fw02e.pdf

PMM
Old Nov 23rd 2005, 11:26 pm
Just Joined

Smile Re: Work permit help....top tip!

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

Except the job has to be HRSDC exempt from validation to what you are suggesting. There are not many of them see: http://www.cic.gc.ca/manuals-guides/...h/fw/fw02e.pdf

PMM
I'm going to be a manager and for professionals it seems fine. Many thanks for that, it helps lots. Even after hours of checking the website I still didn't find that page, thanks again!

Alex
Old Nov 24th 2005, 12:01 am
Just Joined

JaneS is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey Alex,

Sounds like a good idea. I'm in the same boat, my husband and kids are Canadian citizens, and I have joined the long queue at Vegreville!!! We have our own business here and looking at the list - self employed are exempt for a HRSD as well.

Think I'll phone the call centre and see if I can swing a work permit at Niagra/Buffalo!! It's not so much the working that appeals to me as the fact that I might not be land locked while I'm waiting on the PR.

Can you let me know how you get on?

regards
Jane
Old Nov 24th 2005, 1:50 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

I'm going to be a manager and for professionals it seems fine. Many thanks for that, it helps lots. Even after hours of checking the website I still didn't find that page, thanks again!

Alex
I take it that you are a US citizen, and this is being done under the NAFTA rules?

Not much help to the "british" contingent on britishepats.com, but good for you.

Enjoy Canada
Old Nov 24th 2005, 2:57 am
Just Joined

JaneS is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi - I appreciate the well wishes.

We are enjoying Canada. Just waiting on the first big snowfall. Can't complain too much as the summer was incredible.

I am Scottish, but I have my own business, so fingers crossed!

J
Old Nov 24th 2005, 5:33 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by JaneS
Hi - I appreciate the well wishes.

We are enjoying Canada. Just waiting on the first big snowfall. Can't complain too much as the summer was incredible.

I am Scottish, but I have my own business, so fingers crossed!

J
I'm British too, and hopeful, very hopeful.
Apparently at the boreder they take everything into account, so as I'm due to get sponsored soon I think they should be helpful, especially as its quite a senior professional job and that my wife is pregnant!

Alex
Old Nov 24th 2005, 6:52 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

I'm British too, and hopeful, very hopeful.
Apparently at the boreder they take everything into account, so as I'm due to get sponsored soon I think they should be helpful, especially as its quite a senior professional job and that my wife is pregnant!

Alex
Without an HRSDC approval be prepared for a refusal.

PMM
Old Nov 24th 2005, 6:58 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

Without an HRSDC approval be prepared for a refusal.

PMM
Something to do with the GATS agreement??? Bit confused how this is possible and why everyone doesnt do it if they can.
Old Nov 24th 2005, 7:17 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hi

Originally Posted by iaink
Something to do with the GATS agreement??? Bit confused how this is possible and why everyone doesnt do it if they can.
GATS only covers 9 occupations and very specific. See: http://www.cic.gc.ca/manuals-guides/english/fw/fwe.pdf page 99. By the way in my opinion it is not possible , being from a visa waiver country allows you to apply on Entry to Canada for a work permit, previously this was only allowed to US Citizens and Green Card holders. It was changed so that persons who have HRSDC confirmation could get there work permit at the POE rather than get the confirmation and then apply to a CHC for a work permit.

PMM
Old Nov 24th 2005, 8:06 pm
Forum Regular

MichelleC has a brilliant futureMichelleC has a brilliant futureMichelleC has a brilliant futureMichelleC has a brilliant futureMichelleC has a brilliant futureMichelleC has a brilliant future

Anyone else heard this?

Thanks
Alex
My work colleague (British) did a very similar thing. He turned up at the airport without a work permit, was planning on doing the three months in, cross the border, another three months etc. At the airport, they asked him why he was coming, he told them, they asked to see his contract, he showed them, they issued him a permit on the spot. No HRSDC approval required. I have no idea if that's the norm - I got an HRSDC exemption for mine. He recently went on a trip to UK, returned, asked at the airport about renewing his work permit (which is due to expire in a couple of months), they said just turn up at immigration at airport with new contract, and they'd extend it on the spot.

If only PR was so easy!
Old Nov 24th 2005, 9:04 pm
Forum Regular

jordan123 is on a distinguished road

Alex,

Please let us know how you get on if you decide to try this? Are you from the UK?

Jordan

Anyone else heard this?

Thanks
Alex
Old Nov 24th 2005, 10:22 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by jordan123
Alex,

Please let us know how you get on if you decide to try this? Are you from the UK?

Jordan
Sure am from the UK. My job offer was confirmed today and I'm off down to the border soon, I'll let you know how it goes.

I think it does depend on the position and the circumstances, the Canadian government is actively looking for people in certain positions. I am marketing and sales management, not exactly lofty I agree, but they are looking for management and if I am due to be sponsored soon I can't see why they wouldn't give me a permit. I only need it for a month or so. Special circumstances apply, especially as my wife is pregnant, canadian and without a job! I bloody hope they'll help!!

:-)

Alex
Old Nov 25th 2005, 8:55 am
Forum Regular

agibson6 is on a distinguished road

Sure am from the UK. My job offer was confirmed today and I'm off down to the border soon, I'll let you know how it goes.

I think it does depend on the position and the circumstances, the Canadian government is actively looking for people in certain positions. I am marketing and sales management, not exactly lofty I agree, but they are looking for management and if I am due to be sponsored soon I can't see why they wouldn't give me a permit. I only need it for a month or so. Special circumstances apply, especially as my wife is pregnant, canadian and without a job! I bloody hope they'll help!!

:-)

Alex
If you're happy to use Montreal as your point of entry (and then fly on to where you want to go) you can have your work permit application pre-screened in 48 hours prior to your arrival. Still down to guy on the desk to finally approve but this is normally a formality once pre-secreening approved. It's only Montreal where you can do this for some reason.
Old Nov 25th 2005, 5:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Can I get the Cliff's Notes of this thread, because I'm not following it...!

OP says he can have an HRSDC exempt permit granted at the border for being a marketing manager, the fact that his wife's canadian and pregnant is going to have a positive outcome on procuring this permit...

and

PMM says only forestry/and 8 other jobs listed in that huge document I can't reload at the moment are entitled to do this. Nafta being different of course, but we're talking about Brits here.

Is that it? If OP's right, why doesn't everyone do this? And if PMM's right, why are CIC telling OP to do this?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.