Reload this Page >

Work permit ????????

Work permit ????????

Old Apr 18th 2005, 1:08 pm
Pumpkin

pumpkinseed is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Work permit ????????

Hi all

I applied for my permanent resisdency visa in Sept of 2004, however, I now have recieved a job offer, and would like to come out to Canada asap. Does anyone know if I can come out on a work permit until my resisdency visa comes through?

It's just that the form talks about temporary employment, and my offer is for a permanent position??

Thanks all I appreciate your help.
Old Apr 18th 2005, 2:07 pm
Journeyman Canadian

scimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Work permit ????????

Hi

Congrats on the job offer, first, has it been approved by the HRDC?
This is the bit where the employer has to prove that they cannot find a Canadian to do the job.

If that bit is sorted, yes you can go out on a work permit, if you have family, check that your children/spouse will be eligible for health care and education- this varies province to province.
Also be aware that if the job ends abruptly, you might have to come home?

I am in a similar position to you, only 6 weeks further on, it is basically driven by your prospective employer so can be slow. Any more info, pm me.

Cheers

Darren

Originally Posted by pumpkinseed
Hi all

I applied for my permanent resisdency visa in Sept of 2004, however, I now have recieved a job offer, and would like to come out to Canada asap. Does anyone know if I can come out on a work permit until my resisdency visa comes through?

It's just that the form talks about temporary employment, and my offer is for a permanent position??

Thanks all I appreciate your help.

Last edited by scimdarren; Apr 18th 2005 at 2:12 pm.
Old Apr 18th 2005, 2:10 pm
Journeyman Canadian

scimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of light

Sorry, forgot to add that they are 'temporary work permits' but they can be renewed for 'permanent' jobs.

D

Originally Posted by scimdarren
Hi

Congrats on the job offer, first, has it been approved by the HRDC?
This is the bit where the employer has to prove that they cannot find a Canadian to do the job.

If that bit is sorted, yes you can go out on a work permit, if you have family, check that your children/spouse will be eligible for health care and education- this varies province to province.
Also beaware that if the job ends abruptly, you might have to come home?

I am in a similar position to you, only 6 weeks further on, it is basically is driven by your prospective employer so can be slow. Any more info, pm me.

Cheers

Darren
Old Apr 18th 2005, 2:19 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

From what I have read on the immigration part of this site, the job offer now has to be writen as a temp contract (the law changed a little while ago?). Way back when I came on mine that was not the case, but maybe someone like Sarah who has done it recently can confirm what is needed now. Anyway, its a detail, there is nothing to stop you having PR in the works and coming on a work permit in the mean time.
If they are really serious about you coming then they should hire an immigration lawyer to make sure everything runs smoothly for both PR and EA applications.

If the job fails for some reason you can stay in canada for the validity of the permit anyway, but you cant work for someone else unless they get you another permit.
Old Apr 18th 2005, 2:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Posidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
From what I have read on the immigration part of this site, the job offer now has to be writen as a temp contract (the law changed a little while ago?).
I hope not, mine is a permanent staff contract. We'll soon see when I get the reply over the next couple of weeks
Old Apr 18th 2005, 5:20 pm
Yorkshire meets Vegas

Pretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
From what I have read on the immigration part of this site, the job offer now has to be writen as a temp contract (the law changed a little while ago?). Way back when I came on mine that was not the case, but maybe someone like Sarah who has done it recently can confirm what is needed now. Anyway, its a detail, there is nothing to stop you having PR in the works and coming on a work permit in the mean time.
If they are really serious about you coming then they should hire an immigration lawyer to make sure everything runs smoothly for both PR and EA applications.

If the job fails for some reason you can stay in canada for the validity of the permit anyway, but you cant work for someone else unless they get you another permit.
My letter of employment doesn't give a time limit. And when I arrived on it, my employers specifically said that the lawyers needed the expiry date of my work visa so they could diarise for renewal of it when the time came.

I haven't asked them yet about doing a PR application instead, but I think they would prefer it as it would be cheaper for them in the long run...
Old Apr 22nd 2005, 9:27 am
Pumpkin

pumpkinseed is an unknown quantity at this point
Wink Re: Work permit ????????

Thanks for all the help guys, it just seems like there is so much to think about right now. My employer is just in the process of obtaining the HRDC approval, so hopefully I should hear about that in the next couple of weeks. They have advised that I apply for a work permit for a year, so I guess thats the next step when all the paperwork arrives.