Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Work/life balance with only two weeks holiday

Work/life balance with only two weeks holiday

Old Apr 18th 2018, 12:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Work/life balance with only two weeks holiday

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
I think even those of us who have lived here for some years would agree. It's very different from the UK and Europe and frankly sucks. The fundamental point though is that's the way it is and, for the new or potential emigrant, it's something you accept and live with, or decide that it's a good reason not to move here. Being aware of it in the first place is the smart thing. Bitching about it once here (and I'm not suggesting you are doing this) is not.

Well said, but I think the huge mistake people make is that they think Canada is automatically Canada and just focus on the country. Even if you are in the UK, the differences can be huge and most people would compare small areas, rather than a whole country.

Even in Germany, different Bundesländer have different public holidays and laws can change too, just like the UK.
It's never really the country that makes people happy, but the location and how they personally can live in that country.

Last edited by Moses2013; Apr 18th 2018 at 12:55 pm.
Old Apr 18th 2018, 3:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute

There is not doubt about it....it is something that belongs in Victorian times and is crap, no other word for it. However as JSmith said.....it could be even worse! it could be the states!

I think you have to try and find a way whereyou can personally work around it.......I have come to the conclusion in that as long as the company allows me to book unpaid time off, then I budget that into the salary offered and approach it that way.

So 2 weeks paid entitlement, and another 2 weeks unpaid, which if I can financially distribute over the year, I can get by with that fine. Vacation is more important to me than money.

The issue arises with me when the company won't let you take unpaid leave or bank time in lieu. Now I find that would be a real issue.
Old Apr 18th 2018, 3:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paul_Shepherd
So 2 weeks paid entitlement, and another 2 weeks unpaid, which if I can financially distribute over the year, I can get by with that fine. Vacation is more important to me than money.

The issue arises with me when the company won't let you take unpaid leave or bank time in lieu. Now I find that would be a real issue.

Vacation can be very stressful. What I find far more important are working hours, flexibility and time you actually have during week to do things.

If you have bad working hours and a long commute, even 4 weeks paid holiday suck. I want to enjoy a beer in the garden after work, rather than just looking forward to holidays all the time.
Old Apr 18th 2018, 3:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with the sentiment that vacation entitlement sucks here. However, even as a "lowly young'in," both of the employers i've had have had no issue with me taking unpaid leave for as long as I wish. Although the prevailing attitude among most people my age is they feel that since they are so young and lucky to have the job etc they don't feel they are entitled to ask for vacation. We're trying to plan a family reunion in the summer time and one of my cousins is too afraid to ask his employer for even 5 days off to attend...meanwhile I had no issue requesting a full 2 weeks.

In my field (IT) it's rare that one stays with an employer for a long time, as advancement opportunities within the same company are pretty rare. So if I want to move from helpdesk to desktop support tech, and from there to junior network admin, then full sysadmin, etc, the fastest way to get it (and a substantial pay increase) is to change jobs. So the idea of waiting around and accumulating vacation doesn't really work for my career.

Given my positive experiences with current employers I wouldn't really want to work for someone that was going to take me round the bend over taking 2 weeks off for a vacation.

Last edited by Gozit; Apr 18th 2018 at 3:38 pm.
Old Apr 18th 2018, 3:53 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gozit
...both of the employers i've had have had no issue with me taking unpaid leave for as long as I wish...
I'm curious. Does that include Shoppers and is there any connection with health benefits where you have to get in a number of hours regularly to qualify and by taking unpaid time off unhindered, it helps them keep your hours down?

Just wondering...my stepdaughter works retail and there are times when it appears they move heaven and earth to spread the hours around so nobody meets the threshold.

She's had no problem at all taking a few weeks off accompanying her mum to Montreal when her grandfather was ill and then died, nor similarly when her mum died (3 years ago tomorrow ) so they don't need to work so hard to keep hours down.
Old Apr 18th 2018, 3:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Self-employment an option for those that wish to take more vacation.
Old Apr 18th 2018, 4:50 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Moses2013
Vacation can be very stressful. What I find far more important are working hours, flexibility and time you actually have during week to do things.

If you have bad working hours and a long commute, even 4 weeks paid holiday suck. I want to enjoy a beer in the garden after work, rather than just looking forward to holidays all the time.
Agreed, That was my life in the UK, counting down to the next vacation and it wasnt because my job sucked or I worked long hours. I was just in the wrong place.
Now I have 3 weeks vacation and enjoy every damn day (except right now, as its Spring and I hate spring in NS)
Old Apr 18th 2018, 4:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Howefamily
(except right now, as its Spring and I hate spring in NS)
I get the impression you really don't like spring in NS
Old Apr 18th 2018, 5:44 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tumbling_Dice
I get the impression you really don't like spring in NS
I really dont its awful
Old Apr 18th 2018, 5:59 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
But then wishing and getting are quite different! Since becoming self employed, I get less time off than when I was an employee. However time is my own and I can choose how I spend
Old Apr 18th 2018, 6:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Aviator
But then wishing and getting are quite different! Since becoming self employed, I get less time off than when I was an employee. However time is my own and I can choose how I spend
I completely agree. I take less vacation now that I am self-employed and, clearly, there is a correlation between my income and the vacation that I take.
Old Apr 19th 2018, 1:17 am
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
People living in Canada do not usually see Canada. They use half their vacation time to visit an all inclusive resort in Cuba or the DR and the rest taking kids to doctors.
In Ontario they waste their time hiking north in heavy traffic and sitting by still lakes drinking in "Cottage" country. Highly bizzare when they could be relaxing in a nice warm Hooters with AC and a decent choice of TV channels.

Originally Posted by BlueScottyGirl
One thing that's concerning us about life in Canada is the two weeks holiday. Compared to other countries, Canada has a very low annual leave, 2 weeks being the norm, along with a small handful of public holidays. This leave appears to only be applied AFTER you have worked for a year.
I've never taken a job with two weeks vacation. It's a deal breaker. I think most employers now give 15 days. Also most places I've worked shut between Christmas and New Year so I never book those off I just keep my work phone on and do what I please.

So far that is the only negative thing we have found from a country that generally shouts "Come and stay, we'd love to have you". It's a big consideration for us and possibly a deal breaker :-(
We're very good at giving people the negatives on here. It's certainly not the land of milk and honey.

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
One reason we want to move from our present location to Ontario is so we have cheaper means of travel to the rest of the world from a larger airport with more flight options and closer to Europe. Semi retirement is also on the cards if we play them right.
I spent more hours than I cared to in the airport on Sunday night. It's a disaster.

I too am taken aback that such a forward thinking country offers it's citizens only 2-3 of paid holiday leave.
There's nothing forward thinking about Canada. It's 10 years behind the rest of the western world for most things. Some services like the transit in Toronto are closer to 20.

Or unemployment
Old Apr 19th 2018, 1:25 am
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

100%. I'll be doing just that in a few weeks time! Can't wait!
Old Apr 19th 2018, 1:41 am
Forum Regular

BlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paul_Shepherd
I think you have to try and find a way whereyou can personally work around it.......I have come to the conclusion in that as long as the company allows me to book unpaid time off, then I budget that into the salary offered and approach it that way.

That's pretty much what my husband said, he may look at it from that point of view if he ever gets to the negotiation stage The concern seems to be shifting to me as I probably won't be able to negotiate anything going back into the workforce after 20 years out.

Like all of life's big decisions we need to weigh up the pros and cons.

For the record, I am in NO WAY trying to put Canada down, it's my first choice country but I am not going to venture blindly into such a big life change. I appreciate people pointing out the good, the bad and..well, even the ugly!
Old Apr 19th 2018, 2:28 am
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

That's pretty much what my husband said, he may look at it from that point of view if he ever gets to the negotiation stage The concern seems to be shifting to me as I probably won't be able to negotiate anything going back into the workforce after 20 years out.

Like all of life's big decisions we need to weigh up the pros and cons.

For the record, I am in NO WAY trying to put Canada down, it's my first choice country but I am not going to venture blindly into such a big life change. I appreciate people pointing out the good, the bad and..well, even the ugly!
Maybe you could temp? That way you could do as little or as much as you liked?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.