Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Work from home jobs

Work from home jobs

Old Mar 17th 2011, 3:09 am
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Work from home jobs

Originally Posted by lmartin999
Ah, a career in academia then?
Many a true word is spoken in jest.
Old Mar 17th 2011, 10:19 am
Forum Regular

susieh has a brilliant futuresusieh has a brilliant futuresusieh has a brilliant futuresusieh has a brilliant futuresusieh has a brilliant futuresusieh has a brilliant futuresusieh has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by calgarylady
Am a stay at home mum, and have stayed home for the past 9 years. During this time I completed my bachelors degree and an MBA (online). Now I need to do something while I still stay home with my kids. Any tips and ideas will be appreciated
Have you Googled mumpreneur networking groups? You could meet up with other local mums running their own businesses/working from home. Might give you some ideas and contacts.

What are you good at? If you're good at writing for example, you might be able to sell the odd freelance article (tough to break into, but you're already an expert on looking after kids, so you could try writing features for family publications/websites).

Or is there anything you've done as a Mum that you could turn into a business idea? For example, setting up some sort of childcare business or catering/cleaning business?
Old Mar 17th 2011, 12:34 pm
Forum Regular

Kydney_Stone has much to be proud ofKydney_Stone has much to be proud ofKydney_Stone has much to be proud ofKydney_Stone has much to be proud ofKydney_Stone has much to be proud ofKydney_Stone has much to be proud ofKydney_Stone has much to be proud ofKydney_Stone has much to be proud ofKydney_Stone has much to be proud ofKydney_Stone has much to be proud ofKydney_Stone has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by calgarylady
I dont need my head examined. To stay home is a personal choice and family circumstance. I dont regret my choices so far . My OH travels alot so we decided I stay home for now. My youngest is 2 and I dont want to use day care.
They're just having fun at your expense calgarylady, pay them no heed. But they are certainly a jaunty lot here on BE! Anyway, I worked from home for a year and was bored out of my skull. That was proof reading religious material for blind sailors.

Try this site:

http://www.canjobs.com/
Old Mar 17th 2011, 4:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

brizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to behold

God, you are a rotten lot.

To the OP, what subjects did you do your Masters/MBA in ? What's your previous job experience, skills, interests/passions etc. Write a list and see if anything leaps out at you. Are there any gaps in the market/things that can be done better/cheaper?

It's not easy to start a home business that is lucrative, but that doesn't seem to be the only goal here? After spending all that time looking after the family, it sounds like you want to do something for yourself and why not. Pick something you're skilled in or passionate about and research, research, research. If you're not internet savvy, hook up with someone who is, it'll be a must with any home based business. Good luck.

ps. Thanks for the clip, Alan2005, made me laugh.
Old Mar 17th 2011, 5:33 pm
Forum Regular

calgarylady has a brilliant futurecalgarylady has a brilliant futurecalgarylady has a brilliant futurecalgarylady has a brilliant futurecalgarylady has a brilliant futurecalgarylady has a brilliant futurecalgarylady has a brilliant futurecalgarylady has a brilliant future

Thanks for all your replies and suggestions. I need something to keep me occupied for the next 3 years , my youngest will be in grade one then. Both of my degrees are in business.
Old Mar 17th 2011, 11:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Chookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian

To the OP, why the heck are you still a stay at home mum after nine years.

You need your head examined.
I have been a stay at home mum for the last 13 years...
Old Mar 18th 2011, 4:23 am
Forum Regular

calgarylady has a brilliant futurecalgarylady has a brilliant futurecalgarylady has a brilliant futurecalgarylady has a brilliant futurecalgarylady has a brilliant futurecalgarylady has a brilliant futurecalgarylady has a brilliant futurecalgarylady has a brilliant future

Good job! all for the kids. Do you plan to work some day?
Old Mar 18th 2011, 8:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Chookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Joe_Sleepy
Apparently there is a fair amount of money to be made offering "massage therapy"...
I guess by that response, you are not aware that Massage therapists are totally different to Masseuses and in most provinces are required to not only have completed 2200 hours of study and also be registered with a professional body before they call call themselves a "Massage therapist", and they are also considered to be healthcare professionals...

But you are right, they can make a fair amount of money. But I don't think the OP wants to study for 2 years before she can work....
Old Mar 18th 2011, 8:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

gryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
You could always have a quick run round with the Hoover
Run the hoover round someone else's house in Calgary and you make at least $25 per hour cash.

Strap 2 yr old to your back and you save on gym membership too.
Old Mar 18th 2011, 8:54 pm
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

dog walking?
Old Mar 18th 2011, 9:04 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zoe Bell
dog walking?
wow - that'd be a fun job in the winter
Old Mar 18th 2011, 9:33 pm
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

yep but probably a lot of business.

thats the whole idea peole pay you money to do the stuff they are not willing or are unable to do themselves.
Old Mar 18th 2011, 9:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mandymoochops
wow - that'd be a fun job in the winter
She could always get a treadmill and walk the dogs in the house.....

Actually, one of my clients is a dogwalker/dog sitter. She says it isn't too bad most of the time.
Old Mar 19th 2011, 4:52 pm
Forum Regular

davidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud of

Based on your learning, you could try to set up a blog and write interesting articles and use it to generate revenue from Google Adsense.

So you can enjoy staying at home, looking after your baby and get finance reward as well.