Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

work for electricians

work for electricians

Old Jan 30th 2009, 5:00 pm
Just Joined

noelbckly is an unknown quantity at this point
Default work for electricians

Me and my girlfriend want to go to canada for a working holiday with view to moving there full time if it suits us.We can get 12 month working visa from usit and i am going to challange the red seal once i land.On the government websites it says my trade an industrial electrician is one of the trades in demand over there but from what i'm reading online there seems to be a slow down in construction. What i want to know is what is the story with work as a spark over there we are hoping to move to Vancouver..Any help would be appreciated. cheers
Old Jan 30th 2009, 5:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

PaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud of
Default Re: work for electricians

They are busy throwing money down the pan towards the Olympics at the moment, might be some demand there I guess.
Old Jan 30th 2009, 5:20 pm
Just Joined

Ok cheers have been sending out c.vs but hearing nothing back just wondering if there was still a market for overseas workers or has it dried up
Old Jan 30th 2009, 7:02 pm

moondevil will become famous soon enoughmoondevil will become famous soon enough

Ok..info regarding the red seal...........

If you are sitting the red seal then you must have a job, they are also checking up on this and cancelling licence's if you don't have the job.

My OH sat his exam, passed and was surprised to see them contact his employer to make sure they was happy....
got word back that they are doing this as people are leaving the country after getting the licence and have not got a job....some canadian rule, but although you pass a paper test, doesnt mean that you can do the job "they say"

So if you are thinking of sitting the licence first, dont
'get AAIT to look at the paperwork, approve, get job offer and LMO etc, then sit the test after

hope that helps
Old Jan 30th 2009, 8:42 pm
Just Joined

sparkyphil is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi me and my family went over for a recce in jan 08 and i was offered a job on the 4th day. I have been in regular contact with my new employer and he tells me there is still work available. This is in vancouver. I went through the PNP route and all being well ive been told i should receive our visas by mid next month and then its bye bye england. I hope this gives you abit more hope.
Old Jan 31st 2009, 2:10 am
Just Joined

Airborne Spark has a brilliant futureAirborne Spark has a brilliant futureAirborne Spark has a brilliant futureAirborne Spark has a brilliant futureAirborne Spark has a brilliant futureAirborne Spark has a brilliant futureAirborne Spark has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by noelbckly
Me and my girlfriend want to go to canada for a working holiday with view to moving there full time if it suits us.We can get 12 month working visa from usit and i am going to challange the red seal once i land.On the government websites it says my trade an industrial electrician is one of the trades in demand over there but from what i'm reading online there seems to be a slow down in construction. What i want to know is what is the story with work as a spark over there we are hoping to move to Vancouver..Any help would be appreciated. cheers
I'm working as an Industrial Electrician in Fort Mac, there is a severe slow down here a lot of lay offs, foreign workers being sent home, i'm just holding on to the job. The knock on effect will be the Canadian workers from here will be moving back to places like Vancouver looking for work so less work for Brits.

Its not all doom and gloom there are still jobs in Canada and if you have the right attitude you'll get work.

Regards

Dave
Old Jan 31st 2009, 4:44 am
BE Forum Addict

johnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to behold

Many jobs are not advertised so just keep pressure on the agencies. Despite the slowdown, it seems that there is still a demand for skilled labour, try:

www.workopolis.com

http://www.canadajobs.com/

http://www.jobsincanada.ca/

Or use a search engine such as google.ca to locate suitable agencies and jobs.
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 9:23 am
Just Joined

Thanks guys seems pretty positive so i have approval for my trade already as i worked in the oilsands last year as an overseas worker but didn.t get a chance to sit the red seal company broke promises and all the usual crap am gonna head over by myself in a few weeks for a look around and see what i can see
Old Feb 4th 2009, 5:30 pm
Just Joined

ajmartin898 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks guys seems pretty positive so i have approval for my trade already as i worked in the oilsands last year as an overseas worker but didn.t get a chance to sit the red seal company broke promises and all the usual crap am gonna head over by myself in a few weeks for a look around and see what i can see
good luck noelbckly I was over in Fort Mckay working through an agency on a CNRL site last year but never sat the red seal as I encountered some problems with the agency not (CNRL) I'm looking to go back this year if I can looking into doing the red seal before I go some people on this site have found it easier to have it before you go, would love to get a start before I go to get somemore practical experience as there is some practical quetions in the test.

Message be back and let me know how your getting on pls or pm me on here thx

Last edited by christmasoompa; Feb 4th 2009 at 9:49 pm. Reason: Email address taken out - I'm sure you get enough spam already!
Old Feb 5th 2009, 3:56 pm
Just Joined

thats where i was myself was over there with tsg from march till june working for Sitie. Things even getting quite up there i was told by the agency they won't be sending lads out till after summer at this rate would like to experience Canada now though oilsands are grand but ya don't get to see the place.
Old Feb 5th 2009, 5:23 pm
Just Joined

ajmartin898 is an unknown quantity at this point

thats where i was myself was over there with tsg from march till june working for Sitie. Things even getting quite up there i was told by the agency they won't be sending lads out till after summer at this rate would like to experience Canada now though oilsands are grand but ya don't get to see the place.
Mate pm me your Email address please so we can chat a bit more cheers

Last edited by christmasoompa; Feb 5th 2009 at 5:38 pm. Reason: Email address removed again - pls PM it to the OP so you don't get inundated with spam emails
Old Feb 6th 2009, 1:22 am
Just Joined

Airborne Spark has a brilliant futureAirborne Spark has a brilliant futureAirborne Spark has a brilliant futureAirborne Spark has a brilliant futureAirborne Spark has a brilliant futureAirborne Spark has a brilliant futureAirborne Spark has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by ajmartin898
Mate pm me your Email address please so we can chat a bit more cheers
Alright Lads,

I must have been there with you at Sitie, load of Brit and Irish were up here at Firebag but the expansion has been mothballed and everyone sent home. Me and 2 Irish lads (ex Sitie)are still working on the Sulphur recovery on the live plant. Not sure how long we will be here, told April hopefully longer.

There isn't many jobs starting up just now, Albion sands is continuing and a few other smaller oilsands jobs, not many foreign workers though.

There wont be many jobs like CNRL for while especially with the flight program and the red seal training.

If I hear of any jobs starting I will post it.

Regards

Dave