Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

work on drilling rigs, onshore or offshore

work on drilling rigs, onshore or offshore

Old May 20th 2012, 4:10 am
BE Forum Addict

nldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: work on drilling rigs, onshore or offshore

Originally Posted by clay
I work in a steelworks now mate, worked offshore before that...
East Coast Canada offshore or UK offshore ?
Old May 20th 2012, 6:08 am
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by simon dearn
No you're not bursting my bubble at all, I need to get advice from people like you and its really appreciated.
Yes, I'm 29 at the end of this month.
I suppose I could start looking at how my previous heating & ventilation experience may help. I did it for 6 years, installing warm air heaters, flu systems and pipework. Unfortunately I got made redundant before I passed my corgi and acs.

I will start looking towards the service side, it won't hurt.

Thanks again mate.

@christmasoompa, I don't have a landline phone, and I don't fancy calling Canada off my mobile phone.
Skype?
Old May 20th 2012, 7:08 am
Forum Regular

clay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to all

Originally Posted by nldfc
East Coast Canada offshore or UK offshore ?
UK... off Aberdeen...
Old May 20th 2012, 10:45 pm
Forum Regular

ergyngfeld has much to be proud ofergyngfeld has much to be proud ofergyngfeld has much to be proud ofergyngfeld has much to be proud ofergyngfeld has much to be proud ofergyngfeld has much to be proud ofergyngfeld has much to be proud ofergyngfeld has much to be proud ofergyngfeld has much to be proud ofergyngfeld has much to be proud ofergyngfeld has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by simon dearn
Hi , I'm seriously considering coming to Alberta to try and get on an oil/ gas rig. Does anyone have any advice for this specific industry? I will be a greenhand but I will have a H2S alive cert and First Aid cert., is this all that is required?

Thanks!
Have you considered working on diamond or RC rigs? In the mineral industry as opposed to oil/gas? Much more fun IMO - and you'll get to see much much more of Canada on the job!
Old May 21st 2012, 9:30 am
BE Enthusiast

phat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to behold

share how one gets onto a diamond rig and im there... surely my experience as a banker would be fundamental to finding diamonds
Old May 26th 2012, 2:06 pm
Forum Regular

ergyngfeld has much to be proud ofergyngfeld has much to be proud ofergyngfeld has much to be proud ofergyngfeld has much to be proud ofergyngfeld has much to be proud ofergyngfeld has much to be proud ofergyngfeld has much to be proud ofergyngfeld has much to be proud ofergyngfeld has much to be proud ofergyngfeld has much to be proud ofergyngfeld has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by phat-dave
share how one gets onto a diamond rig and im there... surely my experience as a banker would be fundamental to finding diamonds
haha :P

diamond rig refers here to the diamond-tipped drill-bits - they're used to extract drillcore in the mining and mineral exploration industry (which of course could include diamond mining!). Most of the drilling companies seem to be madly short on drillers at the moment...
Old May 26th 2012, 2:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

We do have several diamond mines in Canada though.

BHP Billiton Ekati Mine
Diavik Mine Rio Tinto Group
Snap Lake Mine De Beers
Victor Diamond Mine De Beers