Work culture

Old Feb 12th 2023, 2:29 am
Just Joined

h0bn0b is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Work culture

Am I unlucky or are white collar Canadian workplaces more toxic and throw-them-user-the-bussy? I worked in the UK for 15 years as an adult before making the move, and while I had a few miserable experiences with individuals in London, there was generally a stronger sense of camaraderie among coworkers in the UK. In my current place of work I’ve seen people get pushed out over minor infractions and the sentiments between colleagues are patently fake.

I accept that I might be at the end of some kind of scale of things but I’m wondering if Canada’s ‘window’ on the scale is more austere then the UK’s.

Is this the way it is or have I stumbled into the glass Tower of the Damned?
Old Feb 12th 2023, 3:37 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Work culture

It's pretty toxic imo. One reason I have stayed in my current employment so long is for the last 4 years I've been predominantly working with Filipinos.
Old Feb 12th 2023, 2:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond repute

I have worked for 3 different firms and it can be quite toxic. I think it is because a lot of people get into jobs based on who they know. They have no business being there on the basis of achievement or competence and all the current political nonsense can, therefore, be deployed to keep people in their place. A lot of them haven't matured beyond the playground.

But, there are certainly some gems in there. I have had some great work colleagues from whom I learnt a lot.
Old Feb 12th 2023, 9:58 pm
Just Joined

h0bn0b is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Tumbling_Dice
a lot of people get into jobs based on who they know. They have no business being there on the basis of achievement or competence
I've noticed this and it has shocked me. I don't want to be the typical new whiny expat who glorifies his native land in his homesickness, however I will be just to say that in London there was a far more egalitarian and meritocratic atmosphere of, 'Can they do the job? Will they be here on time? Do we want them? Give them a shot.' Here that meritocracy just doesn't exist. The recruitment culture in Canada is borderline corrupt.
Old Feb 12th 2023, 11:06 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by h0bn0b
I've noticed this and it has shocked me. I don't want to be the typical new whiny expat who glorifies his native land in his homesickness, however I will be just to say that in London there was a far more egalitarian and meritocratic atmosphere of, 'Can they do the job? Will they be here on time? Do we want them? Give them a shot.' Here that meritocracy just doesn't exist. The recruitment culture in Canada is borderline corrupt.
I think this is too strong. I do accept that recruitment for entry level positions in large organizations is not primarily based on merit. Where I work there is a well established nepotism program whereby the children of cradle Canadian employees and the children of friends of cradle Canadian employees are recruited first, if there are no such applicants, competitive interviewing applies. However, cradle Canadians represent, at most, 10% of the local workforce and there's only so much breeding they can do. At the worker level we immigrants overwhelm them and are recruited on relative merit. Technical roles above entry level are subject to competitive recruitment and there's no advantage to being local. Senior management roles are for white men and the occasional butch white lesbian but few of us aspire to such positions and that's likely no different in the UK.