Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Wooden Step advice please

Wooden Step advice please

Old Nov 15th 2014, 3:53 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wooden Step advice please

We've been here nearly 10 years. Unfortunately we've had a couple of smokers and we've been clearing an area of the deck for them, just in front the back door. There's no smoking in the house.

We've often put salt down if there's been ice and there's no sign of any damage, other than the green stain eventually fading after a few years with the scraping of the snow shovel. Since the stain needs to be redone every few years it doesn't seem an issue.

At the front door, there's been a gap between the top step and the door step. We've been using two layers of spare house bricks until now. They've done the job perfectly well and salting them has been fine.

But as a couple in the house were beginning to have a problem with them, we had an extra step made and this will be our first winter with it. It doesn't seem the same wood as our deck and I don't really want to salt it and find it ruins it.

I've noticed others in the street had some sort of mat down - looked like ordinary stair carpet - even on stone steps.

I was wondering about cheap mats that would obviously freeze but would at least allow for salting.

Originally Posted by CanAngel
you can try rubber stair threads, that's what we use:
Recycled Rubber Stair Tread | RONA
This seems a decent enough idea so long as there's no ice for it to slip on.

Do they prevent ice forming under the mat?
Old Nov 15th 2014, 5:28 pm
Forum Regular

CanAngel is a glorious beacon of lightCanAngel is a glorious beacon of lightCanAngel is a glorious beacon of lightCanAngel is a glorious beacon of lightCanAngel is a glorious beacon of lightCanAngel is a glorious beacon of lightCanAngel is a glorious beacon of lightCanAngel is a glorious beacon of lightCanAngel is a glorious beacon of lightCanAngel is a glorious beacon of lightCanAngel is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Do they prevent ice forming under the mat?
Honestly I can't tell as we put them down before winter gets here and don't try to look under them once they are down. They are pretty thick (about 1") and heavy so they don't move at all. If water seeps under the mat logic would be that a thin layer of ice would form but it does not make them slippery or dangerous at all. Easy to clear of snow too.
Old Nov 15th 2014, 6:59 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CanAngel
If water seeps under the mat logic would be that a thin layer of ice would form but it does not make them slippery or dangerous at all. Easy to clear of snow too.
Excellent, thanks.
Old Nov 17th 2014, 12:51 am
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
Have you considered a parachute and just jumping?
Frequently....regretably there's nowhere high in New Brunswick....and we only have six front steps

Because of RICH's info, I have really got into this, and have now tracked all the companies down who make this stuff...it IS fantastic...all of my neighbours are really interested too...I should be getting commission - correction RICH should be getting commission!
Old Nov 17th 2014, 1:03 am
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MillieF
Because of RICH's info, I have really got into this, and have now tracked all the companies down who make this stuff...it IS fantastic...all of my neighbours are really interested too...I should be getting commission - correction RICH should be getting commission!
Cheque's in the post, right?
Old Nov 17th 2014, 1:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MillieF
Last year I cried in front of my kid for weather related problems....how pathetic is that
Originally Posted by Shirtback
I cry, swear, bitch & freak out every year about stupid winter weather here. In front of I Don't Care Who! So maybe I'm pathetic too
+2... From now until mid-late april i'm absolutely stupid grouchy. I'll bitch about this stupid weather to anyone, and don't you dare try to rub in your 20 degree weather (i'm talking to YOU nana) whilst its below zero here.
Old Nov 17th 2014, 2:10 am
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by Gozit
...don't you dare try to rub in your 20 degree weather (i'm talking to YOU nana) whilst its below zero here.
Just for the winter, think Fahrenheit. You too can bask in 20 degree temperatures then. For some of the time at least.
Old Nov 17th 2014, 12:58 pm
Oscar nominated

My new mat/stair tread thingy is now on the wooden step.

Got it down before overnight snow.

(Heavy to carry!)
Old Nov 17th 2014, 10:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Just for the winter, think Fahrenheit. You too can bask in 20 degree temperatures then. For some of the time at least.