Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Wooden houses in Canada? O NO!!! / Concrete?

Wooden houses in Canada? O NO!!! / Concrete?

Old Jul 15th 2009, 9:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wooden houses in Canada? O NO!!! / Concrete?

Originally Posted by Steve_P
I want the outer surface of the building to reflect heat.
Would covering it in mirrors work and would it be better if those mirrors were made of concrete or wood? I am asking you this as you have been here for more cold winters than I have so must have greater knowledge
Old Jul 15th 2009, 9:02 pm
Bring on the snow!

Rob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
So, to be clear, you are of the opinion that if two houses (one of brick, one of wood) have the same insulation rating, the wooden one will be "warmer"?

oh vinyl siding is not made of concrete..

When did I say that vinyl siding was made of concrete?
err - think that was me (kinda)!! Hardieplank siding is made of concrete, vinyl siding is made from .... er now let me think about this one......
Old Jul 15th 2009, 9:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Cdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Rob_999
You're talking about Hardie plank siding.... made from concrete. Yes, thats right, fake wood made of concrete - oh, and it's much cheaper than wood.

Almost canadian- you did not say, fella at top of page said it.
not sure what hardie plank is, but vinyl cladding aint hardie plank...its siding...

anyway we are going to have different thoughts of this and I am tired and not arguing....
Old Jul 15th 2009, 9:05 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

But I don't want anything to absorb or radiate bloody heat when it's already 28°C outside.

I want the outer surface of the building to reflect heat.

The concept of storing heat in something like bricks or stones is archaic at best and certainly has no place in a modern home. My opinion an' I'm stickin' to it.
Nor would I want to live in a shed

Brick/Stone - both are able to do the job with the building technology around today - one isn't necessarily better than the other.
Old Jul 15th 2009, 9:05 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
Would covering it in mirrors work and would it be better if those mirrors were made of concrete or wood? I am asking you this as you have been here for more cold winters than I have so must have greater knowledge
Yes wooden backed of course.

Unfortunately unlikely to be approved by the local authorities, neighbour complaints highly likely.
Old Jul 15th 2009, 9:06 pm
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rob_999
err - think that was me (kinda)!! Hardieplank siding is made of concrete, vinyl siding is made from .... er now let me think about this one......
Recycled Save On Foods bags init
Old Jul 15th 2009, 9:07 pm
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cdnshaz
Almost canadian- you did not say, fella at top of page said it.
not sure what hardie plank is, but vinyl cladding aint hardie plank...its siding...

anyway we are going to have different thoughts of this and I am tired and not arguing....
Fricking hardie plank is siding too...........................

If you're gonna argue and claim superior knowledge do your damn research
Old Jul 15th 2009, 9:08 pm

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Nor would I want to live in a shed

Brick/Stone - both are able to do the job with the building technology around today - one isn't necessarily better than the other.
My only experience with brick is by no means modern so I'll stick with what I currently have and know that it works.

If you want to believe I live in a shed then so be it. Not my problem.
Old Jul 15th 2009, 9:09 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes wooden backed of course.

Unfortunately unlikely to be approved by the local authorities, neighbour complaints highly likely.
Not too mention all that potential for focused light to burn your neighbours houses down. A slight convex pointed at those you don't like....
Old Jul 15th 2009, 9:10 pm

If you want to believe I live in a shed then so be it. Not my problem.
It's a deal Shed Man.
Old Jul 15th 2009, 9:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Cdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy
Fricking hardie plank is siding too...........................

If you're gonna argue and claim superior knowledge do your damn research
Orginal question was "aren't a lot of North American houses vinyl clad"

It actually says VINYL.....not "fricking hardie plank"
so the hardie plank might be siding as well, but not what he asked.
Old Jul 15th 2009, 9:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

bodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to behold

Yep, that is what I asked. It was half rhetorical actually...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vinyl_siding

Guess I was right
Old Jul 15th 2009, 9:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

I had been told that Canadians hate confrontation so this doesn't surprise me. However, I would have thought that Canadians would be able to put forward a reasoned argument rather than rely upon the "I know better" train of thought - I thought that was used by Canada's colonial masters
Old Jul 15th 2009, 9:31 pm

Originally Posted by Alan2005
It's a deal Shed Man.
So is it me you have issues with or do you just not care for wooden dwellings?

If it's the former you can always use the ignore button.
Old Jul 15th 2009, 9:32 pm
Bring on the snow!

Rob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond repute

no, the original question was about concrete vs wood. WTF has vinyl got to do with that???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.