Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

"Women's" medical issues

"Women's" medical issues

Old Jul 11th 2006, 7:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

cov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to behold
Default "Women's" medical issues

Just a question about medical care in Canada (specifically Ontario)...

OK, here in the UK, you don't have annual medicals, you just go to the GP if there's something wrong (effectively). Women have smear tests every 3 years after the age of 25.

How does it work in Canada? Do you have annual medicals? What's included in that? Are smears done annually, or less frequently, and who does them (GP, nurse, gynaecologist, etc.)? Any idea about costs?

Just trying to get an idea of what to expect!
Old Jul 11th 2006, 7:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Calgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: "Women's" medical issues

Originally Posted by cov-canuck

OK, here in the UK, you don't have annual medicals, you just go to the GP if there's something wrong (effectively). Women have smear tests every 3 years after the age of 25.

How does it work in Canada? Do you have annual medicals? What's included in that? Are smears done annually, or less frequently, and who does them (GP, nurse, gynaecologist, etc.)? Any idea about costs?

Q) Do you have annual medicals?

A) If you choose to, yes. In my experience it is encouraged by Doctors.

Q) Are smears done annually, or less frequently, and who does them (GP, nurse, gynaecologist, etc.)?

A) Depends on your age/health; I think similar to the UK, annual for us 'oldies' and done by GP in my experience. Should be covered by your provincial health plan.
Old Jul 11th 2006, 7:09 pm
sticky beaking

R2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to behold

When we registered with our doctor here in Alberta, they ask you to book in for a medical asap, and if you havn't had a PAP test done recently (smear test to you and I ) then one will be done at your medical.
Very straightforward medicals and our docs then refer you with a form to go to the lab for tests for things like cholesterol etc

No cost involved for us here in AB, don't know about other provinces though
Old Jul 11th 2006, 7:12 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Not a women...but I am married to one...

No cost...OHIP covers it

Some GPs do annual medicals, its a choice thing. General physical and a few blood tests is the norm. The blood test I had done for prostate cancer (see...not a woman!) was an extra charge, but my OH didnt pay anything extra.

My OHs smear was done at the doctors office by a RN (who happened to be the doctors wife). It seems to be repeated every years, but shes in a slightly higher risk group, so perhaps thats not indicative of the average checkup. Recently its been her OB / GYN thats done it.

I dont think its so different here to the UK. But I am not a woman!
Old Jul 11th 2006, 8:14 pm
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

I had my physical (the last hurdle to actually registering with the GP) yesterday.

His parting shot was 'At your age and in the health you are I'll see you for another physical in 3 years'

As for annual smears\pap tests in the UK thats very dependent on the Primary Care Trust you are living in.
Old Jul 11th 2006, 9:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

tallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy
I had my physical (the last hurdle to actually registering with the GP) yesterday.

His parting shot was 'At your age and in the health you are I'll see you for another physical in 3 years'

As for annual smears\pap tests in the UK thats very dependent on the Primary Care Trust you are living in.
Well here when I eventually found a doctor she didn't do any medical. And as for a smear test that was done by the gyneacologist who I could only register with because I was pregnant.
Old Jul 12th 2006, 12:37 pm
Forum Regular

silver birch has a brilliant futuresilver birch has a brilliant futuresilver birch has a brilliant futuresilver birch has a brilliant futuresilver birch has a brilliant futuresilver birch has a brilliant future

I am glad you asked this as I have been wondering what will happen with me as there is a strong history of certain cancers in my family and here in the UK I get really well looked after in terms of screening every couple of years. I guess this is something I will need to check with the GP/insurance company/uncle tom cobbly, and if necessary I would put aside the money for regular screening if it isn't covered. In the meantime I am making sure I am up-to-date before I go! If anyone can shed any light on this I would be grateful

BTW we are hoping to head for NS.

Originally Posted by cov-canuck

Old Jul 12th 2006, 1:22 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by iaink
Not a women...but I am married to one...

No cost...OHIP covers it

Some GPs do annual medicals, its a choice thing. General physical and a few blood tests is the norm. The blood test I had done for prostate cancer (see...not a woman!) was an extra charge, but my OH didnt pay anything extra.

My OHs smear was done at the doctors office by a RN (who happened to be the doctors wife). It seems to be repeated every years, but shes in a slightly higher risk group, so perhaps thats not indicative of the average checkup. Recently its been her OB / GYN thats done it.

I dont think its so different here to the UK. But I am not a woman!
How much did the prostate test cost, if you don't mind me asking? I'm probably about due for one.
Old Jul 12th 2006, 1:39 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvenir
How much did the prostate test cost, if you don't mind me asking? I'm probably about due for one.
It was a while ago, and was $50-70 IIRC?
Old Jul 12th 2006, 1:43 pm

Originally Posted by iaink
It was a while ago, and was $50-70 IIRC?
That sounds pretty reasonable. Ta.
Old Jul 12th 2006, 3:11 pm
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvenir
Mine was free. (at least I havent recieved a bill yet :scared: )
Old Jul 12th 2006, 3:14 pm

Maybe they thought there wasn't much point in billing you?
Old Jul 12th 2006, 3:15 pm
Forum Regular

mels123 is a glorious beacon of lightmels123 is a glorious beacon of lightmels123 is a glorious beacon of lightmels123 is a glorious beacon of lightmels123 is a glorious beacon of lightmels123 is a glorious beacon of lightmels123 is a glorious beacon of lightmels123 is a glorious beacon of lightmels123 is a glorious beacon of lightmels123 is a glorious beacon of lightmels123 is a glorious beacon of light

While we're on the subject, do you have to pay for the contraception pill or coil? I've heard you have to pay a monthly prescription cost for the pill unlike the UK, so thought I would check.

Anyone know?

Mel
Old Jul 12th 2006, 3:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ruby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond repute

One thing to be glad for over here regarding PAPs.......you only need wait one week for the results to come back too......unlike the nail-biting 8 weeks in the UK
Old Jul 12th 2006, 3:17 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Originally Posted by mels123
While we're on the subject, do you have to pay for the contraception pill or coil? I've heard you have to pay a monthly prescription cost for the pill unlike the UK, so thought I would check.

Anyone know?

Mel
All PX medication outside of a hospital is not covered by OHIP. Pill you pay for , coil I'm guessing is free as its a hospital proceedure here.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.