Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Within Canada moving costs - anyone?

Within Canada moving costs - anyone?

Old Jul 23rd 2007, 11:51 pm

hot wasabi peas is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Within Canada moving costs - anyone?

Has anyone used a moving company to move long-distance within Canada, a move of about 800 miles? If yeah, how much did it cost... abouts?
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 11:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Within Canada moving costs - anyone?

Originally Posted by hot wasabi peas
Has anyone used a moving company to move long-distance within Canada, a move of about 800 miles? If yeah, how much did it cost... abouts?
Bit more than 800, I think it was 1100 miles? Dunno. Anyway, it was a smidgen under 5k CAD, no packing, no nothing. Just pick up and delivery. Contents were those of a slightly too full 1300sq ft home, no appliances.

Strange that they do it by weight here but most have a 10% guarantee. This was an Atlas affiliate. I can dig up a quote tomorrow if you want to see the per pound weight/per mile breakdown.

Are you off somewhere nice?
Old Jul 24th 2007, 12:16 am

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
Bit more than 800, I think it was 1100 miles? Dunno. Anyway, it was a smidgen under 5k CAD, no packing, no nothing. Just pick up and delivery. Contents were those of a slightly too full 1300sq ft home, no appliances.

Strange that they do it by weight here but most have a 10% guarantee. This was an Atlas affiliate. I can dig up a quote tomorrow if you want to see the per pound weight/per mile breakdown.

Are you off somewhere nice?

Back home (Victoria) ... with a tad more than the two suitcases I left with!

But 5K makes me feel better! I've been getting quotes for around 3K and thinking --> but, but, but it's just a bunch of junk! I think it makes sense though now that I know your quote. I've an 800 sq ft condo - loaded to the nuts with books, a set of weights and furniture deals that I could not say no to. And like you no packing/unpacking, plus add on the ferry costs.... so I guess it makes sense.

Thanks Biiiiink.

Hmmm... anyone in Calgary want to buy some furniture?
Old Jul 24th 2007, 12:29 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

USD3000 brought a 53' trailer mainly loaded with books here from Colorado.
Old Jul 24th 2007, 12:38 am

Originally Posted by dbd33
USD3000 brought a 53' trailer mainly loaded with books here from Colorado.

So... 3 grand is looking like what it's going to cost.

I had about half of that in my mind.

Ah well, who cares?
Old Jul 24th 2007, 12:50 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hot wasabi peas
So... 3 grand is looking like what it's going to cost.

I had about half of that in my mind.

Ah well, who cares?
It'll depend if you need the whole trailer or not and then whether or not they can find another load to fill it. You could just learn to recite the content of the books and then leave them behind.
Old Jul 24th 2007, 2:05 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
It'll depend if you need the whole trailer or not and then whether or not they can find another load to fill it. You could just learn to recite the content of the books and then leave them behind.
Omnia Gallia in tres partes divisa est....

I could go on.
Old Jul 24th 2007, 4:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

I got it wrong, 1491 miles... that must be the long not-crossing-the-border route. Here's the relevant part of the quote anyway. It was actually only 7200 lbs, but there's no refund if you're under, only the 10% guarantee if you're over. A solid dresser weighs 300lbs, as does a stove, and a s/s fridge freezer weighs 600lbs if that helps you figure out the weight of your stuff.

The valuation is a basic per weight one, not sure why we even took their insurance as our home contents should have covered us?

All our quotes were based on moving before June 12th when apparently the mad season starts and they take the mickey even more with their pricing. I don't know when the summer season ends. This was the best of a shocking bunch. I'll never moan about transatlantic shipping costs again, hey, it's like you get the packing, unpacking and sea passage thrown in for free when compared to in-Canada moves

Happy travels! What will you do with your new Calgary place?
Attached Thumbnails Within Canada moving costs - anyone?-picture-4.png  
Old Jul 24th 2007, 4:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

rwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond repute

We moved from Victoria to Calgary 9 years ago. Did the packing ourselves and had it picked up. We were in a 2 bedroom apartment and had a lot of books (very heavy). The cost back then was $3000. And they only broke one thing which they gave us more money for than it was worth.
Old Jul 24th 2007, 9:44 pm

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
I got it wrong, 1491 miles... that must be the long not-crossing-the-border route. Here's the relevant part of the quote anyway. It was actually only 7200 lbs, but there's no refund if you're under, only the 10% guarantee if you're over. A solid dresser weighs 300lbs, as does a stove, and a s/s fridge freezer weighs 600lbs if that helps you figure out the weight of your stuff.

The valuation is a basic per weight one, not sure why we even took their insurance as our home contents should have covered us?

All our quotes were based on moving before June 12th when apparently the mad season starts and they take the mickey even more with their pricing. I don't know when the summer season ends. This was the best of a shocking bunch. I'll never moan about transatlantic shipping costs again, hey, it's like you get the packing, unpacking and sea passage thrown in for free when compared to in-Canada moves

Happy travels! What will you do with your new Calgary place?

Thanks again Biiiiink. Yeah, it helps. I can see how they are charging similar to the quotes I've received.

I'm not 100% sure as to what I'm doing with my Cowtown Paddy.
Old Jul 24th 2007, 9:48 pm

Originally Posted by rwin
We moved from Victoria to Calgary 9 years ago. Did the packing ourselves and had it picked up. We were in a 2 bedroom apartment and had a lot of books (very heavy). The cost back then was $3000. And they only broke one thing which they gave us more money for than it was worth.

Ok, I'm convinced! 3K it is! Thanks!