Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

a wise decision reached I hope..

a wise decision reached I hope..

Old Mar 12th 2009, 5:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Strawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to behold
Default a wise decision reached I hope..

based on the current economic climate, we have decided to wait a while. Our business is on the market, but we don't anticipate it to sell for a while yet. We have decided that probably going the LMO, TWP route may well be risky at the moment with 4 children. We are still selling the business, we are still coming to canada in July but now more of a holiday. We will get my eldest lad (14) through his GCSE's first, and I will return to College/Uni for one year to gain another Business/Finance Law qualification so I get more points for education as at the moment we are very borderline on them, So sigh, why then after making such a sensible grown up decision do I feel so miserable........
Old Mar 12th 2009, 5:52 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: a wise decision reached I hope..

I can completely sympathise with how you feel. We were all set to embark on immigration as I am on the List and we seem to have enough points and we are feeling desperate to go and now, well, one of our closest friends died at the weekend, leaving his wife a widow at 47 and we need to be there for her as well as get over our own loss and she doesnt know yet about our plans. Also, my dad, also doesnt yet know, has gone into hospital with manic depression and so now it seems that the dream is that bit more out of reach. And of course the age old dilemma about leaving the people you love.
And the econcomy,......

So now, what to do?! I still want to do our reccie in July but do we still continue to fill in the paperwork when all feels upside down with emotion.

Keep smiling
Old Mar 12th 2009, 5:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Strawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Howefamily
I can completely sympathise with how you feel. We were all set to embark on immigration as I am on the List and we seem to have enough points and we are feeling desperate to go and now, well, one of our closest friends died at the weekend, leaving his wife a widow at 47 and we need to be there for her as well as get over our own loss and she doesnt know yet about our plans. Also, my dad, also doesnt yet know, has gone into hospital with manic depression and so now it seems that the dream is that bit more out of reach. And of course the age old dilemma about leaving the people you love.
And the econcomy,......

So now, what to do?! I still want to do our reccie in July but do we still continue to fill in the paperwork when all feels upside down with emotion.

Keep smiling

Ha ha, yes, and don't even get me started on the telling my mother bit..

We will just plod on and hopefully at some point in the next 2/3 years it will all work out.

You just get over excited don't you when you think it is all going smoothly.

Old Mar 12th 2009, 6:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Strawberry
based on the current economic climate, we have decided to wait a while. Our business is on the market, but we don't anticipate it to sell for a while yet. We have decided that probably going the LMO, TWP route may well be risky at the moment with 4 children. We are still selling the business, we are still coming to canada in July but now more of a holiday. We will get my eldest lad (14) through his GCSE's first, and I will return to College/Uni for one year to gain another Business/Finance Law qualification so I get more points for education as at the moment we are very borderline on them, So sigh, why then after making such a sensible grown up decision do I feel so miserable........

Sounds sensible to me which coming from me is unheard of!
You are miserable cos it prob seems an anti-climax and like it will never happen, but it will, you obviously have your heads screwed on unlike some airy fairies I have seen posting here

Good Luck & where are you thinking of heading, for I am a nosey b*****d!
Old Mar 12th 2009, 6:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Pammy
Sounds sensible to me which coming from me is unheard of!
You are miserable cos it prob seems an anti-climax and like it will never happen, but it will, you obviously have your heads screwed on unlike some airy fairies I have seen posting here

Good Luck & where are you thinking of heading, for I am a nosey b*****d!
BC for us, Vancouver or the Okanagan hopefully. Dont mind the rain in winter but love the mountains, eldest loves to snowboard and mountain bike..

Me - Im a mountain and lake gal..
Old Mar 12th 2009, 6:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of light

BC for us, Vancouver or the Okanagan hopefully. Dont mind the rain in winter but love the mountains, eldest loves to snowboard and mountain bike..

Me - Im a mountain and lake gal..

OOOOHHHOkanogan(not sure how to spell itI, good choice, as well as going to the Caribbean in the winter we are looking in that area to retire to in the summer months(at least 15 years away)
Old Mar 12th 2009, 6:14 pm
In limbo!

Sleeping_Beauty45 is just really niceSleeping_Beauty45 is just really niceSleeping_Beauty45 is just really niceSleeping_Beauty45 is just really niceSleeping_Beauty45 is just really niceSleeping_Beauty45 is just really niceSleeping_Beauty45 is just really niceSleeping_Beauty45 is just really niceSleeping_Beauty45 is just really niceSleeping_Beauty45 is just really niceSleeping_Beauty45 is just really nice

Because you have been hoping and dreaming of a new life in Canada and sensible decisions aren't the stuff that hopes and dreams are made of!

Good luck.

And the econcomy,......

Keep smiling
That is so terribly sad, it is very difficult in any circumstances never mind coping with a grieving process too. I think though you need to take some time out and just do nothing maybe for a few weeks/months until you feel as if you are more emotionally stable. I know after losing someone very close to me a few years ago there is no way on gods earth I could have contemplated this move, it took a good while before I regained any sort of equalibrium but it does happen eventually.

Leaving people you love isn't easy under any circumstance, no point in even going there.

Good luck to you too with however you proceed.

It sounds as if you need a holiday anyway so maybe the reccy trip isn't such a bad idea?
Old Mar 13th 2009, 8:53 am
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

And the econcomy,......

Keep smiling
I really do feel for you. Reality is a dream crushing thing sometimes. My first try at moving to Canada back in 2006 ended in failure because of similar circumstances. Unfortunately one week before i was due to leave (my wife was already out there), my dad was diagnosed with terminal lung cancer. Needless to say, that week was probably the second worst of my life. I managed to drag myself over to Vancouver and lasted all of 3 months before it became too much. For me, i figured we can move to Canada any time yet moments with my dad were finite. Unfortunately he died 8 months ago and we're now in the process of trying again.

You need to do what feels right and as the old saying goes.....what will be will be.

Good luck with whatever decisions you make. I'm sure either way will be a tough one to make. One thing you also need to do is live YOUR life.

Rich
Old Mar 13th 2009, 9:40 am
BE Enthusiast

And the econcomy,......

Keep smiling
Sometimes these decisions we have to make are so difficult aren't they, especially when they involve the people we love. Take that lovely holiday in July and complete the paperwork when you feel ready.

PS. Im sorry about putting the ha ha in previous post, it was meant for the another post not yours. Im not that insensitive.

Take care.

Mel
Old Mar 13th 2009, 11:33 am
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

Sometimes these decisions we have to make are so difficult aren't they, especially when they involve the people we love. Take that lovely holiday in July and complete the paperwork when you feel ready.

PS. Im sorry about putting the ha ha in previous post, it was meant for the another post not yours. Im not that insensitive.

Take care.

Mel
Hi, its ok, I didnt read it that you were being insensitive, more that your own situation is very hard too and you are trying to remain upbeat for us all.
Take care
Natasha
Old Mar 13th 2009, 12:39 pm
Forum Regular

DESERTFOX is just really niceDESERTFOX is just really niceDESERTFOX is just really niceDESERTFOX is just really niceDESERTFOX is just really niceDESERTFOX is just really niceDESERTFOX is just really niceDESERTFOX is just really niceDESERTFOX is just really nice

There are so much uncertainty in this current economic condition. With your family around your instincts we'll guide what's best for you and your family

Good luck.