Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Winter tyres (or is that tires)

Winter tyres (or is that tires)

Old Oct 6th 2012, 2:18 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Winter tyres (or is that tires)

If you're comfortable with buying used tires, it's often possible to pick up a good deal on winter tires through classified ads. People buy tires for a particular vehicle, don't wear them out and then change the vehicle and need tires of a different size. I picked up a set of studded winters two years ago for $120. They've done me two winters so far and will do a third no problem.

Its also worth noting that you don't necessarily need to put the same size winter in as summer. My Suzuki takes 235-65-16's which are quite rare and consequently expensive. However 225-70-16's also fit and are much more frequently found on Escapes, Jeeps etc. So more availability and cheaper. You do need to take care in ensuring a suitable figment. The tire size comparator on tire rack.com can be helpful in this regard,
Old Oct 6th 2012, 5:39 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
If you're comfortable with buying used tires, it's often possible to pick up a good deal on winter tires through classified ads. People buy tires for a particular vehicle, don't wear them out and then change the vehicle and need tires of a different size. I picked up a set of studded winters two years ago for $120. They've done me two winters so far and will do a third no problem.

Its also worth noting that you don't necessarily need to put the same size winter in as summer. My Suzuki takes 235-65-16's which are quite rare and consequently expensive. However 225-70-16's also fit and are much more frequently found on Escapes, Jeeps etc. So more availability and cheaper. You do need to take care in ensuring a suitable figment. The tire size comparator on tire rack.com can be helpful in this regard,
You also might find that in areas of heavy snowfall a narrower tire works better.
Old Oct 6th 2012, 11:41 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

You also might find that in areas of heavy snowfall a narrower tire works better.
Agreed, the worst car we had for the winter was a Durango, the tyres on that were really wide, the winter handling was so bad OH wouldn't even let me drive it, we didn't keep it for the whole winter (the tyres were on stock rims).
Old Oct 7th 2012, 3:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

haggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond repute

best car i ever had for the snow was a Subaru Justy....

1.3 AWD with 13" wheels, think the tyres were 155 wide hahahah!

doubt they exist over here, would kick ass if they did though
Old Oct 7th 2012, 3:04 pm
Forum Regular

shunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud of

Having only recently got our first car here. The dealer put new all seasons on it and said they fill them with Nitrogen so you don't have to have winter tires - what the general opinion to this??
Old Oct 7th 2012, 3:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shunter1977
Having only recently got our first car here. The dealer put new all seasons on it and said they fill them with Nitrogen so you don't have to have winter tires - what the general opinion to this??
Nitrogen will have no effect upon how the all seasons work (when compared with winter tires). It is my understanding that nitrogen is not affected by changes in temperature as oxygen, meaning that the psi of the tire is not as affected. No doubt, someone with real knowledge will confirm this.

As I have said above, I use winter tires every year, lots of people don't. It is a judgement call that you will have to make.
Old Oct 7th 2012, 4:18 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

When I first arrived I was working at a bank and my mate there was nipping out one lunch to get her tires switched over. (There was already snow / ice on the ground she left it a bit late to get them swapped over - though already owned the set from the year before).

We are driving to the garage and being ignorant I said - "why do you need winter tires anyway????" she said "Watch this......." (She has a Yukon too AC!) Drove doen the street (nothing was coming, and hit the brakes semi hard - like you might do if wildlife jumped out / someone pulled out unepectedly).

As you would think - the truck, fishtailed and came to a halt after sliding somewhat.

On the way back she did the same thing and the truck stopped in what felt like half the time and as though there was no ice / snow underneath.

I was a convert after that.
Old Oct 7th 2012, 7:37 pm
Scottish Canuck

Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute

The proof is definitely in the pudding! Just watching how various cars manage to get up my driveway shows who has winter tires and who doesn't.
Old Oct 7th 2012, 8:18 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
Nitrogen will have no effect upon how the all seasons work (when compared with winter tires). It is my understanding that nitrogen is not affected by changes in temperature as oxygen, meaning that the psi of the tire is not as affected. No doubt, someone with real knowledge will confirm this.
Or not. PV = nRT for all perfect gases and for others the virial coefficient B used in the more exact expression PV/RT = 1 + B/V.... is accurate enough for almost all scientific applications and more than accurate enough for engineering.

B coefficients for air (=80% N2 + 20% O2) and for pure nitrogen are virtually indistinguishable.

It's a con trick. HTH.
Old Oct 7th 2012, 8:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by mandymoochops
When I first arrived I was working at a bank and my mate there was nipping out one lunch to get her tires switched over. (There was already snow / ice on the ground she left it a bit late to get them swapped over - though already owned the set from the year before).

We are driving to the garage and being ignorant I said - "why do you need winter tires anyway????" she said "Watch this......." (She has a Yukon too AC!) Drove doen the street (nothing was coming, and hit the brakes semi hard - like you might do if wildlife jumped out / someone pulled out unepectedly).

As you would think - the truck, fishtailed and came to a halt after sliding somewhat.

On the way back she did the same thing and the truck stopped in what felt like half the time and as though there was no ice / snow underneath.

I was a convert after that.
Old Oct 7th 2012, 8:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Or not. PV = nRT for all perfect gases and for others the virial coefficient B used in the more exact expression PV/RT = 1 + B/V.... is accurate enough for almost all scientific applications and more than accurate enough for engineering.

B coefficients for air (=80% N2 + 20% O2) and for pure nitrogen are virtually indistinguishable.

It's a con trick. HTH.
Thank you
Old Oct 7th 2012, 9:24 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

I am feeling seriously like a woman to be reconned with, as I bought snow tires today! I have a brand new set of Bridgestone Blizzacks...they sound non slip don't they! I only have a little car, so have had to order the rims and plan to have them on the car for the last week of October. Last year there was a big snowfall (big enough to me anyway) in the last week of October, as I was here with a huge hire car. I am bloody terrified of driving in the snow, it's not just the slipping, but the driving over curbs or banging into ornamental pots and all other sort of outside bits including the other cars that is tending to occupy my thoughts at present.
Old Oct 8th 2012, 12:03 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheeky_monkey
i lived through 4 Edmonton winters and used to drive out to places like Jasper and Edson...i have never had winter tyres and very few people i worked with up there had them either it tended to be just the women. I wont be getting any this year either.
We have this thread every year. I certainly agree they do help but I dispute that they are necessary.

Depends on how much driving you do and where. If you do lots of driving in areas with poor snow clearance, then obviously they have more value.

Anyway I've driven through the Monida Pass on all-season tires in blizzard conditions and I survived. Although I wouldn't recommend doing it.
Old Oct 8th 2012, 12:20 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_
We have this thread every year. I certainly agree they do help but I dispute that they are necessary.
Oh, of course they are necessary. After all tyre technology advances leaps and bounds every year (or should that be in All Seasons?). Moreover you've got to take climate change into account.
Old Oct 8th 2012, 12:42 am
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian

[COLOR="red"]B coefficients for air [/COLOR](=80% N2 + 20% O2) and for pure nitrogen are virtually indistinguishable.

It's a con trick. HTH.
Does that actually mean something, because I read it 4 times (once very slowly) I've hilighted the parts that I presume you are being bilingual.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.