Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Winter tyres or chains BC?

Winter tyres or chains BC?

Old Oct 16th 2009, 8:05 pm
Forum Regular

Eager2bBC has a brilliant futureEager2bBC has a brilliant futureEager2bBC has a brilliant futureEager2bBC has a brilliant futureEager2bBC has a brilliant futureEager2bBC has a brilliant future
Default Winter tyres or chains BC?

Hi Guys,

I'm new to Canada (here on a temp visa, hoping to get PR via wifes employer - she has a proper job unlike me at the moment!) and new to driving here in winter so need some advice on whether to get winter tyres or chains.

We live in North Vancouver and will mainly be driving around there, which I don't imagine i will need winter tyres or snow chains for. However, we have bought season passes for the north shore mountains and plan to do a lot of skiing there and at whistler over the winter.

Also planning on taking a few trips within BC across to Big White and Sun Peaks and maybe even across to Banff/Lake Louise in Alberta.

So given that most of our driving will be on snow free roads, but with excursions to ski resorts, should I bother getting winter tyres or just get snow chains?

I want to spend as little as possible as we're still just setting up here and I don't have a job yet (tough out there!) but want to make sure we can get around safely. So thought snow chains would be cheaper than winter tyres, and i should probably have snow chains for going skiing (fingers crossed for lots of snow ) as winter tyres will only get me so far, so if i'm going to buy one thing buy the snow chains right?

Very confused so some advice would be welcome!
Old Oct 16th 2009, 8:12 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Winter tyres or chains BC?

If you're planning on driving the Trans Canada Hwy across the Coquihalla or further on towards Alberta during winter, then chains and/or winter tires are definitely advisable. There was slushy snow on the Coquihalla several weeks ago, and there have already been reports of accidents.
Old Oct 16th 2009, 8:16 pm
Banned

sac_de_loup is a name known to allsac_de_loup is a name known to allsac_de_loup is a name known to allsac_de_loup is a name known to allsac_de_loup is a name known to allsac_de_loup is a name known to allsac_de_loup is a name known to allsac_de_loup is a name known to allsac_de_loup is a name known to allsac_de_loup is a name known to allsac_de_loup is a name known to all

Just get some winter tires. You just put them on, forget about them, then take them off six months later. Obviously, you can only use chains when there is actually snow on the ground. Winter tires will be fine for getting you to any of the resorts, with the possible exception of Hemlock, where they say that you're supposed to have chains or cables.
Old Oct 16th 2009, 8:16 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

On some mountain roads it is compulsory to have one or the other. I get by on all seasons but always carry chains. However, I am a driving wuss so I avoid the worst of the weather if I can possibly help it.
Old Oct 16th 2009, 9:01 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Eager2bBC
Hi Guys,

I'm new to Canada (here on a temp visa, hoping to get PR via wifes employer - she has a proper job unlike me at the moment!) and new to driving here in winter so need some advice on whether to get winter tyres or chains.

We live in North Vancouver and will mainly be driving around there, which I don't imagine i will need winter tyres or snow chains for. However, we have bought season passes for the north shore mountains and plan to do a lot of skiing there and at whistler over the winter.

Also planning on taking a few trips within BC across to Big White and Sun Peaks and maybe even across to Banff/Lake Louise in Alberta.

So given that most of our driving will be on snow free roads, but with excursions to ski resorts, should I bother getting winter tyres or just get snow chains?

I want to spend as little as possible as we're still just setting up here and I don't have a job yet (tough out there!) but want to make sure we can get around safely. So thought snow chains would be cheaper than winter tyres, and i should probably have snow chains for going skiing (fingers crossed for lots of snow ) as winter tyres will only get me so far, so if i'm going to buy one thing buy the snow chains right?

Very confused so some advice would be welcome!
This year I think you'll be ok on all seasons. They'll be keeping the sea to sky and the roads to the local mountains clear - at least till the Olympics are over.

I just got a new car and my dealer said no need to put winter tyres on for the first year because new tyres deal better with the cold. Was he talking shite?
Old Oct 16th 2009, 9:49 pm
Forum Regular

ScottDrummer is a name known to allScottDrummer is a name known to allScottDrummer is a name known to allScottDrummer is a name known to allScottDrummer is a name known to allScottDrummer is a name known to allScottDrummer is a name known to allScottDrummer is a name known to allScottDrummer is a name known to allScottDrummer is a name known to allScottDrummer is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Alan2005
This year I think you'll be ok on all seasons. They'll be keeping the sea to sky and the roads to the local mountains clear - at least till the Olympics are over.

I just got a new car and my dealer said no need to put winter tyres on for the first year because new tyres deal better with the cold. Was he talking shite?
You can get as far as north squamish if you are heading to WB, there are checks there
Old Oct 16th 2009, 10:05 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ScottDrummer
You can get as far as north squamish if you are heading to WB, there are checks there
Ah, the check points - a different thing altogether.
Old Oct 16th 2009, 10:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

He was

I tried winter tyres for the first time last year, never again will I drive with all seasons in the winter
Old Oct 16th 2009, 11:59 pm
Banned

sac_de_loup is a name known to allsac_de_loup is a name known to allsac_de_loup is a name known to allsac_de_loup is a name known to allsac_de_loup is a name known to allsac_de_loup is a name known to allsac_de_loup is a name known to allsac_de_loup is a name known to allsac_de_loup is a name known to allsac_de_loup is a name known to allsac_de_loup is a name known to all

...my dealer said ... Was he talking shite?
He's a car dealer; of course he was talking shite. It's instinctive.
Old Oct 17th 2009, 10:15 pm
West Coast Enthusiast

Frank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud of

Hi,

On the north shore too. The drive up to Cypress is kept pretty clear but there have been a few times when they stop people going up without snow tires - though why you would want to go up in those conditions beats me! We had to go collect our son on one of those occasions as he was at snowboard camp. Lucky for us (and him) weather improved after an hour and we could go up.

If you are anywhere higher up the mountains in North Van then you will be pleased to have winter tires - especially if your road is not on a bus route (which get plowed pretty quickly).

In short I'd get them.

Warmly,

Frank