Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Are winter tyres any good???

Are winter tyres any good???

Old Nov 22nd 2006, 1:16 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Are winter tyres any good???

Originally Posted by iaink
...plus theres lots of them to chose from. Were they just going by total numbers nicked, or the incidence per vehicle?

I guess part of it is all those city folks with their small, frugal cars, after all, if a car is going to be nicked its probably in one of the cities. No one has had a car nicked round here for years. Pisses me off...I keep leaving the wifes old car at home with the doors unlocked, but no bugger will take it
The CBC website has a fairly full version of the report. It seems that certain models are targeted. Generally speaking, the cars most likely to get nicked are 2-door hot hatches. It reminds me a bit of the Sierra Cosworth years back. I read that in some areas they could be more expensive to insure that to buy because the odds of their being nicked were so high.
Old Nov 22nd 2006, 1:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Calgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvenir
So that's how you spend your free time. Civics are the most stolen cars in Canada.

LOL - no I didn't steal it, I wrote it off! I wonder if he replaced it with a new one, making my efforts in vain
Old Nov 22nd 2006, 3:13 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by AdobePinon
I'm right at the edge of winter tyre use down here (but I always drive north). Hangman, what ballpark CDN or US $$ does a set of Nokian WRs run at? I'm in a Civic ( to the rest of you) so it should be a similar size to your Toyota. I've heard a lot of good things about them but the nearest dealer is 1 hour up the road from me....
185/65R14 so I would say very similar to the Civic.

$123 Cdn each, so for a set of four installed with all the additional charges (balancing, taxes and tire levy's etc) it cost $575 Cdn.

Also the 100,000 km tread life guarantee was correct as per the Kal Tire website, which is the only place you can get them in Calgary.

Cheers
Steve
Old Nov 22nd 2006, 3:32 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, that treadlife really takes a dive on the 55 section tires I would need
Old Nov 22nd 2006, 3:44 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by iaink
Wow, that treadlife really takes a dive on the 55 section tires I would need
That is quite a penalty for having a lower profile tire.

I just took a look at the size required for my new (only three weeks old) car and it's still in the 100,000 class.
Old Nov 22nd 2006, 11:58 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hangman
185/65R14 so I would say very similar to the Civic.

$123 Cdn each, so for a set of four installed with all the additional charges (balancing, taxes and tire levy's etc) it cost $575 Cdn.
Thanks for the info. The only price I'd seen before was US $192 per tyre! So very good to know that the real price is almost reasonable. The treadlife info was good to see too - I'd be a 185/65R15
Old Nov 23rd 2006, 12:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Stu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond repute

Have any of you tried www.tires-easy.ca

I have used their UK site for 4x4 tyres 245 Goodyear wranglers delivered £86 can't complain at that