Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Winter: time for pet cruelty

Winter: time for pet cruelty

Old Dec 19th 2006, 5:40 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Winter: time for pet cruelty

Originally Posted by batty-x-ray
What about cats? ours heck as like wont wear boots or coat!! When it was minus 10, 15 recently she still wanted to go out in it, I let her out and keep calling to get her back in, freezing while standing at the door. Locals advice has varied between 'a cat can stand up to about minus 20 - all night-' to 'a cat just wont go out in the cold'.

Is there a lower temp when you just wouldnt let your cat go outside??
When hell freezes over and the Leafs win the Stanley Cup.
Old Dec 19th 2006, 5:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Craftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Good lord no, one cannot wear fur in Toronto, that's cruel. I dump the coons in the green bin.
Ohhhh, you're heartless! (and soooo un PC)
Old Dec 19th 2006, 5:52 pm
Thinking the unthinkable.

Madmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond repute

What about cats? ours heck as like wont wear boots or coat!! When it was minus 10, 15 recently she still wanted to go out in it, I let her out and keep calling to get her back in, freezing while standing at the door. Locals advice has varied between 'a cat can stand up to about minus 20 - all night-' to 'a cat just wont go out in the cold'.

Is there a lower temp when you just wouldnt let your cat go outside??

Cats are, by design, desert animals and actually prefer hot conditions that would do us in fairly quickly - they can tolerate, indeed enjoy temperatures of 45C and slightly over. However, their fur is an excellent insulator and works well in the cold (had to I suppose as nights are cold in desert climes). I would be concerned with temperatures down to -20 and beyond though. It's more likely that they have spent the night curled up on top of a car engine or in some unsuspecting neighbours home. They are opportunists after all.

Our two are house cats and have found the air vents an endless source of heated perches.
Old Dec 19th 2006, 6:11 pm
OMG - I'm back

nivlad will become famous soon enoughnivlad will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Rich_007
Of late in my early morning travels to work I see many interesting sights. Most recently I have seen a rash of folks taking very small yappy dogs for walks in bitterly cold temperatures.

The dogs are always very small and without winter coats or foot protection. I see them shivering as they piddle-dribble up some inanimate object.

Their owners of course are clad in big boots, gloves, scarves and toques and in thick warm puffer coats. They are accompanied by harsh taught faces, fully clad in make up and often carrying a hot drink in the snug gloved hands. A cellphone in t'other hand seems optional.

This is plain wrong and should be stopped forthwith. Is there an equivalent of the 'traffic cones hotline' I can call ? and where are all the big dogs and big dog owners ?

Rich.
its threads like this, and the highjacking on decent threads that causes me to only occassionally look at this once interesting site
Old Dec 19th 2006, 6:24 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nivlad
its threads like this, and the highjacking on decent threads that causes me to only occassionally look at this once interesting site
What would you consider to be a decent thread?
Old Dec 19th 2006, 6:48 pm
Banned

Beaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by dbd33
What would you consider to be a decent thread?
one that is ripe for hijacking

i walk our small border terrier in all the conditions that have been thrown at us since arrival in September, & often leave him tied to poles outside shops
- no way is this mutt wearing coats/bootees etc

Unfortunately there seem to be a lot of Mad Dog people out there & the Paris Hilton wanabee types who value their animals/fashion accessories/mental hang ups more than than human life

apologies if this thread was a wind-up and i've taken the bait
Old Dec 19th 2006, 7:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

daft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Craftybanshee
Hmmmmm, methinks that when you let your kitty out and he/she/it (neutured type) doesn't move for 15 mins. then you can assume it's got stuck to the ice and needs help!

Sorry, just being silly there
made me laugh!!

so frozen cat = bad
Old Dec 19th 2006, 7:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

daft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond repute

whars wrong with the thread?? i suppose all your contributions interest and fascinate everyone????
Old Dec 19th 2006, 7:42 pm
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute

That's a real shame.

Threads should rightly be hijacked, it's the law of cyberspace, the interweb = anarchy, control freaks just can't hack it.

Perhaps you'd like to see more threads about people missing Heinz beanz, Babycham, Auntie Sue, the Dog&Hounds, Rashid's deep fried cod, etc.

Rich.
Old Dec 19th 2006, 7:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Craftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond repute

Bah humbug to you too!

Look at my avatar = you have really peed Conky off!
Old Dec 19th 2006, 7:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

made me laugh!!

so frozen cat = bad

I dunno, could have some uses like a doorstop, ice cube crusher or flattening a chicken breast instead of a mallet

Geez I knew I shouldn't have opened that bottle of wine I've not had a drink for ages and what happens when I do
Old Dec 19th 2006, 8:55 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

There is an old proverb that I've just made up:

"people who choose Red Green as their avatar shouldn't throw frozen dead cats in greenhouses".
Old Dec 19th 2006, 9:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Souvenir
There is an old proverb that I've just made up:

"people who choose Red Green as their avatar shouldn't throw frozen dead cats in greenhouses".

Conky says that the frozen kitties break a lot of glass too - though it depends on the size of your greenhouse!
Old Dec 19th 2006, 10:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Craftybanshee
Conky says that the frozen kitties break a lot of glass too - though it depends on the size of your greenhouse!
there used to be a book called a 101 uses for a dead cat..
Old Dec 19th 2006, 10:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

there used to be a book called a 101 uses for a dead cat..

I know. We used to have a copy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.