Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Winter clothing for Edmonton

Winter clothing for Edmonton

Old Aug 28th 2018, 8:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Winter clothing for Edmonton

Originally Posted by Rebecca1980
Thank you all for your very helpful comments. I think I'll wait on buying boots until we are in Edmonton. As for winter coats I thought it might be better to buy insulated northface ones as they are much cheaper and would probably be good enough for shopping trips until we are settled in Canada.
See if you can find out the rating of the jackets .............. I suggest you don't think of buying one unless the rating is -20C

If you must, then get one that is a little larger so you can fit an extra sweater under it in the event that it is colder than your jacket is good for. This could especially apply if you are walking, standing at bus stops etc etc

It's easier to wear lighter clothing if you are going from house into garage into car (or apartment into underground garage), then from car into underground mall parking, or parking right outside a store or house.

Remember that evenings and nights will be colder than daytime!
Old Sep 3rd 2018, 6:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

vinegarboy has a reputation beyond reputevinegarboy has a reputation beyond reputevinegarboy has a reputation beyond reputevinegarboy has a reputation beyond reputevinegarboy has a reputation beyond reputevinegarboy has a reputation beyond reputevinegarboy has a reputation beyond reputevinegarboy has a reputation beyond reputevinegarboy has a reputation beyond reputevinegarboy has a reputation beyond reputevinegarboy has a reputation beyond repute

I worked in Edmonton and further north in Alberta as well, outside much of the time, all year round. I'm currently next door in Saskatchewan, and again working mostly outdoors, all year round.

Be happy, it's a deep but very dry winter cold out here on the prairies, not a damp bone-chilling U.K. cold, so I found that one can wear normal outside clothing down to around minus ten C (which, FYI as a rule-of-thumb, is also the threshold temperature at which (and below which) most vehicles will need to be plugged into their electric block-heaters overnight for a smooth start next morning).

If I were you at this stage, I'd definitely wait on buying bulky/heavy Canadian-conditions deep cold winter gear until you're here. You'll be fine on arrival with regular U.K. winter stuff, so long as you've got two sets of ordinary gloves/hats/beanies/neck-gaiters/etc. per family member. Having dry stuff to put on to go out in deep winter here is crucial.

For footwear that's easy on/off, I learned from an oilfield worker in northern Alberta about Dunlop Purofort wellies, which aren't cheap (~$250-) but which are awesome for being outside even down to minus forty C. I live in mine all winter. I dry them overnight by placing the toes over the forced-air heating register in my vestibule/bootroom.

The ever most important thing is to put dry gear on before going out in winter. And to do everything & anything to keep one's feet and hands warm. A prairie farmer taught me to kick against something hard when it's below minus twenty C, that way it encourages blood-flow in the capillaries, I guess.

Another oilfield worker taught me to put a triathlon wetsuit on under my coveralls when it's bitterly cold. Not the most comfortable arrangement, but eminently warmer than without it on, especially on a night shift outside.

Anyhow, you won't need these extremes. Just go to a Mark's Work Wearhouse store, a Canadian Tire store, and to a WalMart on your Day One here. You'll be fine. Don't worry.

Last edited by vinegarboy; Sep 3rd 2018 at 6:28 pm.
Old Sep 3rd 2018, 6:57 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by vinegarboy
Another oilfield worker taught me to put a triathlon wetsuit on under my coveralls when it's bitterly cold. Not the most comfortable arrangement, but eminently warmer than without it on, especially on a night shift outside.
\
My old hunting partner was a great big rough tough ironworker but in the late 70's and early 80's he worked in the coal mine in Estevan operating a monster loader ("I could drop the bucket on the police station.") and he was freezing up there on the machine in the winter. Cotton underwear didn't make the grade and he was allergic to wool. Someone told him that womens' nylon pantyhose would keep him warm. He and his wife went to the store and approached a sales clerk in ladies wear. His wife explained his predicament to the sweet 60 something clerk and asked what size he would need (6' 3" and all Chuck Norris....) she blurted out "Oh, Queen size I suppose!"
Old Sep 3rd 2018, 7:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

vinegarboy has a reputation beyond reputevinegarboy has a reputation beyond reputevinegarboy has a reputation beyond reputevinegarboy has a reputation beyond reputevinegarboy has a reputation beyond reputevinegarboy has a reputation beyond reputevinegarboy has a reputation beyond reputevinegarboy has a reputation beyond reputevinegarboy has a reputation beyond reputevinegarboy has a reputation beyond reputevinegarboy has a reputation beyond repute

Haha, love it. I learned that when it's down to minus fifty C overnight, and the stars are twinkling so crystal-clearly up in the dark astronomer's-dream and near-constant refractive index sky, that I don't really care what I have on, so long as I'm warm. The bootrooms on jobsites up north have all kinds of stuff hanging off the pegs, and in the hot smelly drying rooms. The stink is overpowering, but all the guys want is their gear dried-out before their next shift.
Old Sep 3rd 2018, 7:32 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by vinegarboy
Haha, love it. I learned that when it's down to minus fifty C overnight, and the stars are twinkling so crystal-clearly up in the dark astronomer's-dream and near-constant refractive index sky, that I don't really care what I have on, so long as I'm warm. The bootrooms on jobsites up north have all kinds of stuff hanging off the pegs, and in the hot smelly drying rooms. The stink is overpowering, but all the guys want is their gear dried-out before their next shift.
I won't pass up a chance to post this:
Old Sep 3rd 2018, 7:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

That's a great vid. The great thing about remote-location work and the North is the brotherliness/camaraderie, as well as the great fishing, going on the ice-roads, seeing my first wolverine, meeting First Nations guys & Metis, as well as Inuit, and seeing polar bears and Canadian Eskimo Dogs. I love the North.
Old Sep 3rd 2018, 8:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caretaker
\
My old hunting partner was a great big rough tough ironworker but in the late 70's and early 80's he worked in the coal mine in Estevan operating a monster loader ("I could drop the bucket on the police station.") and he was freezing up there on the machine in the winter. Cotton underwear didn't make the grade and he was allergic to wool. Someone told him that womens' nylon pantyhose would keep him warm. He and his wife went to the store and approached a sales clerk in ladies wear. His wife explained his predicament to the sweet 60 something clerk and asked what size he would need (6' 3" and all Chuck Norris....) she blurted out "Oh, Queen size I suppose!"
Hahahaha!!! No joke actually! I recall wearing pantyhose myself along with many others on freezing cold NATO exercises in the 1980's in early winter in West Germany - coz they worked where British Army stuff simply didn't! Mind you, not sure what the Warsaw Pact would have made of us in the event of a real war - we would probably have compared notes on who's panty hose worked best!
Old Sep 3rd 2018, 8:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

OH borrowed a pair of my tights when we had to go out to a brunch on Boxing Day 1968 after we'd discovered that our car would not start. Newly here, we never thought of backing out of the invitation, so worked out how to get to the place in West Vancouver. 3 buses!! None of the other guests made it.

There was arctic fog coming up from the water under Lions Gate Bridge over the entrance to Vancouver Harbour. We'd never seen that before. It was neat!

It was crystal clear and cold.

It was later that we discovered that the low that day was -18C, which is still the all-time low for Vancouver. It never got warmer than about -15C.

He was toasty warm, and so was I, and we had a great reception from our hosts when we arrived on their doorstep!
Old Sep 4th 2018, 5:35 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

I'm in Red Deer, I've done a few winters, this one seems to be rapidly approaching. How long will you spend outside, for example will you be waiting for buses and walking dogs? Do you suffer generally from cold feet? I for example have been known to wear bed socks in the summer. So with that in mind, I have some Columbia boots that I bught in the summer the 1st year we were here for $30 rated to -20. Perfect with two pairs of socks for walking the woofy things. I do like a warm boot for just buzzing around, although I think they are ugly ugg type boots are easy on/off and fairly foot warming.

As for coats I absolutley swear by Eddie Bauer, I worked for them for 5 years, I like their customer service, their coats are long lasting and quite often can be picked up for a great price. Only feather filled coats tend to be weather rated, their are some great alternative fillings now too, Primaloft being one of them. I would go for at least a -20 rating to avoid layering up just for popping to the shops, for any outside activity you want layers that you can add or shed easily depending on length of time outside and what you are doing. Scilly mentioned getting a coat a little larget for fitting jumpers under - you want not a tight fit but also not loose - you don't want that pesky chilly air going down your neck and up your back.

We had 8 extreme weather warnings last winter, it was damn cold. Someone mentioned plugging in cars at -10, I don't think ours got plugged in once all winter long and they are old beasts. Synthetic oils help with that sort of thing.

Do bear in mind when it's colder than -21 (the temp that kids are not expected to play outside at school) it's not too pleasant to be outside, a bit like a rainly winters day
Old Sep 4th 2018, 6:11 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Marvellous isn't it. The heat events are done but we're still getting late 20s, feels like mid 30s days and we're talking about winter. brrrrrr.
Old Sep 4th 2018, 6:52 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Marvellous isn't it. The heat events are done but we're still getting late 20s, feels like mid 30s days and we're talking about winter. brrrrrr.
Excuse me, I've had the heating on this morning and we had a frost warning, Brrr. It's a bit quick lol eek.
Old Sep 4th 2018, 7:07 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
Excuse me, I've had the heating on this morning and we had a frost warning, Brrr. It's a bit quick lol eek.
Better get those bedsocks out then.
Old Sep 4th 2018, 8:45 pm

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Better get those bedsocks out then.
Out? they haven't been put away and they were still firmly on my feet when I woke up this morning, I usually kick them off during the night. Blanket being swapped for lightweight duvet tonight.
Old Sep 5th 2018, 4:17 am
BE Forum Addict

I'm in Red Deer, I've done a few winters, this one seems to be rapidly approaching. How long will you spend outside, for example will you be waiting for buses and walking dogs? Do you suffer generally from cold feet? I for example have been known to wear bed socks in the summer. So with that in mind, I have some Columbia boots that I bught in the summer the 1st year we were here for $30 rated to -20. Perfect with two pairs of socks for walking the woofy things. I do like a warm boot for just buzzing around, although I think they are ugly ugg type boots are easy on/off and fairly foot warming.

As for coats I absolutley swear by Eddie Bauer, I worked for them for 5 years, I like their customer service, their coats are long lasting and quite often can be picked up for a great price. Only feather filled coats tend to be weather rated, their are some great alternative fillings now too, Primaloft being one of them. I would go for at least a -20 rating to avoid layering up just for popping to the shops, for any outside activity you want layers that you can add or shed easily depending on length of time outside and what you are doing. Scilly mentioned getting a coat a little larget for fitting jumpers under - you want not a tight fit but also not loose - you don't want that pesky chilly air going down your neck and up your back.

We had 8 extreme weather warnings last winter, it was damn cold. Someone mentioned plugging in cars at -10, I don't think ours got plugged in once all winter long and they are old beasts. Synthetic oils help with that sort of thing.

Do bear in mind when it's colder than -21 (the temp that kids are not expected to play outside at school) it's not too pleasant to be outside, a bit like a rainly winters day

I really like the Land's End Insulated Squall Parka ....... it's waterproof, wind proof, rated 0 to -30F (it is American), and washable. We usually spray ours with a rain proofing spray after washing.

Waterproof is what I need here. I've had my current one since 1998, I wear it here from November to February in temperatures from +5 to -10C, and up north or across Canada from -10 to -40C. I add an extra layer, usually a down, an alternative filling or fleecy vest (gilet UK) when we're in those really cold areas.

You can get them at a really good price when they go on sale

I do love Eddie Bauer sweaters and T-shirts!

Last edited by scilly; Sep 5th 2018 at 4:19 am.
Old Sep 5th 2018, 5:17 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Already? Yikes! That doesn't bode well for this winter
We've got a heat warning for tomorrow! When did you say you were moving to S. Ontario? lol.
11:51 PM EDT Tuesday 04 September 2018
Heat Warning in effect for:
  • Southwestern Ontario
Hot and humid weather for southwestern Ontario will continue through Wednesday.
A hot and very humid airmass remains in place. Maximum daytime temperatures near 31 degrees are generally expected Wednesday with humidex values near or above 40. Overnight minimum temperatures tonight will likely remain near 20 degrees providing little relief from the heat.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.