Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Winter....brrrrr!

Winter....brrrrr!

Old Aug 17th 2012, 3:31 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Winter....brrrrr!

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
The most popular coats we sell for men and women are the ones priced at $100, used to be called the Yukon, changed to the Essential last year. Good basic warm jackets (and coats for women). Dead easy to sell
I've got an eddie bauer water proof jacket (it's not fleeced or anything) for walking the dog when it's raining, which is 10 months of the year here. It's great, but why does the hood come over my eyes - I have to wear a baseball cap as well otherwise I can't see a thing.
Old Aug 17th 2012, 3:39 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
- I have to wear a baseball cap as well otherwise I can't see a thing.
Chav.
Old Aug 17th 2012, 4:04 pm
Forum Regular

biddyk8 has much to be proud ofbiddyk8 has much to be proud ofbiddyk8 has much to be proud ofbiddyk8 has much to be proud ofbiddyk8 has much to be proud ofbiddyk8 has much to be proud ofbiddyk8 has much to be proud ofbiddyk8 has much to be proud ofbiddyk8 has much to be proud ofbiddyk8 has much to be proud ofbiddyk8 has much to be proud of

I have an expensive north face one I wore the first winter here, last year I wore my old navy coat most of the time and only wore the north face when it was -40.

my hubs has a £40 3 in 1 coat from an outlet store back home and it does the job just aswell. I get scared by the prices everytime I go to MEC maybe I am cheap
Old Aug 17th 2012, 4:22 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

I've got an eddie bauer water proof jacket (it's not fleeced or anything) for walking the dog when it's raining, which is 10 months of the year here. It's great, but why does the hood come over my eyes - I have to wear a baseball cap as well otherwise I can't see a thing.
You should be able to adjust the hood somewhat. Do you know what piece you have? It is basically so you can either layer up with a hooded something on colder days (if it's a Nisqually/365 - does it have pit zips?) or if it's a First Ascent (no pit zips) one it's so you have room for a helmet, when your doing your skiing/snowboarding/mountain climbing.

It is a problem I have at EB with any of the hoods, I do have a very small head, always had trouble finding a motorbike helmet to fit. EB is undergoing a major revamp of clothes as they do have fit problems, hoping that hoods will get a bit smaller this season
Old Aug 17th 2012, 4:47 pm
Pictou County Superstar™

Greenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by el_richo
**** me, living outside of Vancouver seems bloody expensive, and quite hard work
Said the man who paid $50 for his drag night brolly:

Old Aug 17th 2012, 4:49 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
You should be able to adjust the hood somewhat. Do you know what piece you have? It is basically so you can either layer up with a hooded something on colder days (if it's a Nisqually/365 - does it have pit zips?) or if it's a First Ascent (no pit zips) one it's so you have room for a helmet, when your doing your skiing/snowboarding/mountain climbing.

It is a problem I have at EB with any of the hoods, I do have a very small head, always had trouble finding a motorbike helmet to fit. EB is undergoing a major revamp of clothes as they do have fit problems, hoping that hoods will get a bit smaller this season
It's got 'weather edge' written inside and was about $150. The hood thing is my only complaint about it as the waterproofing works perfectly. It being for a helmet I can understand and it's not really that big a deal looking like a chav when I'm out with the dogs.

I know other people are snooty about it, but I like EB stuff; it's generally good quality, lasts well, and you can get it on the internet.
Old Aug 17th 2012, 4:51 pm
Pictou County Superstar™

Greenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond repute

Walking around with a dog that is two foot taller than you is a more likely cause of you looking like a chav.

it's not really that big a deal looking like a chav when I'm out with the dogs.
Old Aug 17th 2012, 4:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hawk13
I guess if you moved here just for a salary and only walked from your house to your car or hung out in pubs, you have a point.

For me, I spend most of my free time outdoors on a bike, hiking, skiing, etc. and I'm willing to fork out a few more bucks for quality. And yes, I use my old gear underlayers for work as it lasts a lot longer than the cheap stuff - I'm not too interested in working ouside and freezing my ass off to save a few bucks.
I have climbed all over the Alps and other places around the world too, so I understand that technical is sometimes required. The OP was not asking about such clothing though. It appeared to be they were asking questions about everyday clothing.
Old Aug 17th 2012, 4:52 pm

Originally Posted by Greenhill
Walking around with a dog that is two foot taller than you is a more likely cause of you looking like a chav.
If you'd met be you'd know I have an uncanny resemblance to brian blessed.
Old Aug 17th 2012, 5:01 pm
Pictou County Superstar™

A passer-by says to a wolf "Is that Brian Blessed?"

"Yes." Said the wolf <while looking at passer-by like he's stupid>.

If you'd met be you'd know I have an uncanny resemblance to brian blessed.
Old Aug 17th 2012, 5:13 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

It's got 'weather edge' written inside and was about $150. The hood thing is my only complaint about it as the waterproofing works perfectly. It being for a helmet I can understand and it's not really that big a deal looking like a chav when I'm out with the dogs.

I know other people are snooty about it, but I like EB stuff; it's generally good quality, lasts well, and you can get it on the internet.
WeatherEdge is just the EB version of Gortex, it sounds as though it's a Nisqually shell. Really popular, mine is 4 years old now and still good as new. There will be a friends and family soon
Old Aug 17th 2012, 7:10 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by biddyk8
I have an expensive north face one
What happens if you're traveling south?
Old Aug 17th 2012, 7:25 pm
Up Your Kilt

Hawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
I have climbed all over the Alps and other places around the world too, so I understand that technical is sometimes required. The OP was not asking about such clothing though. It appeared to be they were asking questions about everyday clothing.
I get that. What I didn't get was why everyone always wants to get the cheapest thing possible.

For example: I have two teenage daughters who only buy LuluLemon tights. At first, I figured it was for the brand name, second, I almost fainted at the cost. But then they told me, they only buy from the clearance rack (good Scottish lass's). Unfortunately, I'm the one that does the wash and I can tell you that the Lulu's last waaaay longer than the cheap ones from other stores, so in the end the Lulu's are a way better value.

You get what you pay for and the cheapest isn't always the best way to go.

My 2 cents
Old Aug 17th 2012, 7:33 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hawk13
I get that. What I didn't get was why everyone always wants to get the cheapest thing possible.
There is a subtle difference between cheapest and best value I think. For most people the cheap stuff holds up just fine, there is no extra value to be had from paying for the brand. Ive had as many name brand things fall apart as I have cheapo no name.

For good technical stuff you have to pay the premium, but for everyday wear you dont.

I suspect that many brands achieve prominence in the first place by focusing on quality, but over time as they become more sought after due to the simple cache of the name the quality often drops.

Last edited by iaink; Aug 17th 2012 at 7:36 pm.
Old Aug 17th 2012, 9:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
I suspect that many brands achieve prominence in the first place by focusing on quality, but over time as they become more sought after due to the simple cache of the name the quality often drops.
Helly Hansen springs to mind. As soon as it went mainstream, its quality dived.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.