Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Winnipeg suburbs

Winnipeg suburbs

Old May 29th 2013, 11:46 am
BE Forum Addict

AlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond repute
Default Winnipeg suburbs

We (me, hubby and 2yo daughter) are due to move over from Australia to Winnipeg on an intra company transfer in just under 4wks time.
While we were dabbling with the idea for a while this has suddenly just become possible and is now happening!

I am frantically trying to make lists of things we need to do and check-out and was wondering if anybody could give me any ideas of some family friendly suburbs in Winnipeg? I don't drive so need somewhere with some kind of decent public transport and facilities, and childcare.
Husband is going to be working at an engineering company located in South west Winnipeg.
Currently he has a 1hr 15 commute to get to work here in Melbourne (leaves at 5.30am to avoid rush-hour)-hoping for something a bit more sleep-friendly
Any tips of where to look/where to avoid?
Old Jun 21st 2013, 10:23 pm
Happy in Canada.

Grah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Winnipeg suburbs

Scot I haven't logged on for ages but if hubby is working south west you have loads of really nice area to pick from.

Depending on budget and size of course.

So what are you looking to do rent for a month or two to get the feel of your surroundings or hotel and jump straight in to your own home?

what are you requirements and have you checked out mls.ca?
Old Jun 23rd 2013, 10:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

AlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Grah
thanks for your response - was beginning to think I was going to be the only expat in Winnipeg .
We will be renting initially - we are booked into fully furnished short-term accommodation for the first month courtesy of husbands work -then will look for a long term rental. no point buying until we a) decide we like the place and if so b) hopefully get permanent residency

We are probably looking for a 3 bedroom - preferably a house rather than an apartment- within easy commuting distance of tuxedo business park and some reasonable shops and childcare facilities. Will need to be near public transport routes too.
Wont want it to be too flashy - more important for the landlord to be happy that there will be a toddler there (while I hope she isn't going to trash the place I don't want white carpet and loads of glass to polish )
Not sure re budget - over here (Australia) we were paying $1600 a month (a few years ago before we bought a house - which we are now trying to sell) I think probably something in the same ball-park would be good.
Will check out that website thanks.
Old Jun 25th 2013, 1:11 am
BE Enthusiast

Conmar has a reputation beyond reputeConmar has a reputation beyond reputeConmar has a reputation beyond reputeConmar has a reputation beyond reputeConmar has a reputation beyond reputeConmar has a reputation beyond reputeConmar has a reputation beyond reputeConmar has a reputation beyond reputeConmar has a reputation beyond reputeConmar has a reputation beyond reputeConmar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scotdownunder
Hi Grah
thanks for your response - was beginning to think I was going to be the only expat in Winnipeg .
We will be renting initially - we are booked into fully furnished short-term accommodation for the first month courtesy of husbands work -then will look for a long term rental. no point buying until we a) decide we like the place and if so b) hopefully get permanent residency

We are probably looking for a 3 bedroom - preferably a house rather than an apartment- within easy commuting distance of tuxedo business park and some reasonable shops and childcare facilities. Will need to be near public transport routes too.
Wont want it to be too flashy - more important for the landlord to be happy that there will be a toddler there (while I hope she isn't going to trash the place I don't want white carpet and loads of glass to polish )
Not sure re budget - over here (Australia) we were paying $1600 a month (a few years ago before we bought a house - which we are now trying to sell) I think probably something in the same ball-park would be good.
Will check out that website thanks.
Hello Scot ,

check out this one too:

www.kijiji.ca

Good luck!
Old Jun 25th 2013, 2:38 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Try using Padmapper too, it has links to many adverts.

https://www.padmapper.com/

If you go to the 'super secret' section, you can select it to show overlays of transit and walk-ability scores too.

Edited to say, here are links to the transit maps

http://winnipegtransit.com/en/other/systemmap
http://winnipegtransit.com/en/routes

Last edited by Siouxie; Jun 25th 2013 at 2:47 am.
Old Jun 25th 2013, 8:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

dormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to behold

Scot

Just noticed your post, not been here for a while. You need to be looking in and around the Fort Richmond, River Heights, Kenaston, Charleswood, Academy region really, but your best bet for reasonably priced (open minded landlord) house rental would be Osborne Village, Jubillee road,or Wolsely. Stay away from North end, east end and central west end.

Any of those areas are only about 15 minte commute from Tuxedo Industrial park, and all are central with shops and bars/restaurants etc.

PM me if you need any help or assistance, i am always glad to help as I have been through it twice now, and know how stressful it can be. Good luck!
Old Jun 26th 2013, 9:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Thanks everyone for the info! Will check out those sites/links
getting a bit exciting now (I keep hearing 'the final countdown' in my head) we just managed to sell our house today, well ahead of anticipated selling time(subject to the buyer getting finance) so it's garage sale time on Saturday!
And good old Australia is bringing out the really frosty mornings these last few days just to start acclimatising us. We will be feeling warm when we get to Canada - if only briefly.
Old Jul 3rd 2013, 6:27 am
Happy in Canada.

Grah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond repute

Ha ha 1 am 23c degrees feels like 27c and going reach 35c-38c tomorrow. or today for you.

Ok around Tuxedo Industrial park.

Try this site
canpages

Depending on time of day almost anywhere South of the river is a 15 minute commute - miss the train (112 car) which takes 12 minutes.

That area is mostly new build, in the last 15 years, and has some wonderfully homes and lots of very young families.

North of Wilkes is older houses but you shouldn't have any problem and will have a lovely time there. New IKEA, on your doorstep. Friends immigrated to the Grant\nathienal park area. Has swimming pool shops monterrosse school- so any question sure they will help if they can.

Young Kids have lots of entertainment down that way. I'll log on everyday now to answer any questions you have. Anything - yes you can get vegimite

Last edited by Grah; Jul 3rd 2013 at 6:32 am.