Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

The Winnipeg advantage is gone?

The Winnipeg advantage is gone?

Old Dec 7th 2013, 2:26 am
Journeyman Canadian

scimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of light
Default The Winnipeg advantage is gone?

Hi

Been living on the outskirts of Winnipeg for 8 years now. Our first and only Canadian location.
It appealed to us in '05 because of its clear advantage in house prices.

Winnipeg has been good to us career wise and it seems to be very prosperous, but I have been browsing realtor.ca and I am surprised to see that house prices in the BC Interior are very comparable to Winnipeg.

Is Interior BC suffering while Winnipeg is booming? Our circumstances are changing and we are seriously contempleting moving province...
Old Dec 7th 2013, 2:44 am
BE Forum Addict

withabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Winnipeg advantage is gone?

Where abouts in the BC Interior though?
Old Dec 7th 2013, 3:33 am
Journeyman Canadian

scimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by withabix
Where abouts in the BC Interior though?
For $350K-$500K House price range in Kelowna, Kamloops and Winnipeg is much the same.
Old Dec 7th 2013, 3:43 am
BE Forum Addict

withabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond repute

Kelowna has apparently suffered some price drops over the last few years (colleagues have properties in town rented out rather than selling at a loss), although it does still seem expensive compared to the local salaries for most people!

There are a lot of properties that seem to have been for sale for a long time, although locally the market appears to be picking up.

The other side of our street (houses on the lakeside) seems to be 50% for sale, although they are in the $1.75m+ bracket! (and that side of the street is almost entirely Alberta number-plated cars)

Depends what you want to do work-wise. Construction is quiet in Kelowna. Housing starts are picking up, but there isn't much heavy civils coming in the near future, if any. Our workload is mainly lower mainland or 'up north'.

Not sure about Kamloops, but there doesn't seem to be much going on there as far as I can tell. Construction trades are busy at mines or working away from home in Fort Mac and Vancouver.
Old Dec 7th 2013, 6:11 am
Journeyman Canadian

Originally Posted by withabix
Kelowna has apparently suffered some price drops over the last few years (colleagues have properties in town rented out rather than selling at a loss), although it does still seem expensive compared to the local salaries for most people!

There are a lot of properties that seem to have been for sale for a long time, although locally the market appears to be picking up.

The other side of our street (houses on the lakeside) seems to be 50% for sale, although they are in the $1.75m+ bracket! (and that side of the street is almost entirely Alberta number-plated cars)

Depends what you want to do work-wise. Construction is quiet in Kelowna. Housing starts are picking up, but there isn't much heavy civils coming in the near future, if any. Our workload is mainly lower mainland or 'up north'.

Not sure about Kamloops, but there doesn't seem to be much going on there as far as I can tell. Construction trades are busy at mines or working away from home in Fort Mac and Vancouver.
My wife is in healthcare Management so any decision would start with her being successful. I am an Industrial Electrician so I would find work easier. Although I do not want to work away.
So there is our dilemma. Do we risk everything by giving up 2 good comfortable jobs, just to escape the brutal winters.
Old Dec 7th 2013, 6:31 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scimdarren
My wife is in healthcare Management so any decision would start with her being successful. I am an Industrial Electrician so I would find work easier. Although I do not want to work away.
So there is our dilemma. Do we risk everything by giving up 2 good comfortable jobs, just to escape the brutal winters.
They're pretty bad in the interior of BC. Plus, if you think Winnipeg is parochial, insular and narrow-minded, you're in for a bit of a shock.
Old Dec 7th 2013, 6:44 am
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Words you never thought you'd see together... "The Winnipeg Advantage".
Old Dec 7th 2013, 6:51 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
I thought the thread was going to be about Winnipeg, for once, not being the coldest place on the planet yesterday.
Old Dec 7th 2013, 8:06 am
no I aint

Flogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
The walk home from the pub is never uphill
Old Dec 7th 2013, 8:12 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Flogger
.... but often fatal.
Old Dec 7th 2013, 8:18 am
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Flogger
Walk home from the pub? That's not how you fit in now, is it?
Old Dec 7th 2013, 8:45 am
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

are the brutal winters nice?
Old Dec 7th 2013, 9:05 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ExKiwilass
are the brutal winters nice?
Stick your nose out the window and find out. I nearly froze my tackle off walking the two and half blocks home from the boozer last night. Its naffing cold out there.
Old Dec 7th 2013, 9:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Lychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond repute

Other than housing prices, is there anything that you like about living in/around Winnipeg? Is there anything that you find appealing about Kelowna or Kamloops in terms of lifestyle?
Old Dec 7th 2013, 9:45 am
Born again atheist

Originally Posted by Oink
Stick your nose out the window and find out. I nearly froze my tackle off walking the two and half blocks home from the boozer last night. Its naffing cold out there.
Well yes, it was, apparently, an Arctic -4C last night in Vancouver.

You should have coated your tackle with whale blubber before walking in that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.