Winnipeg

Old Nov 9th 2021, 8:34 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Winnipeg

On some Via routes you can still get on/off in the middle of nowhere, just need to know the exact mile marker you desire, they do require you to book at least 48 hours in advance and only available on some routes, but the Canadian Toronto-Vancouver-Toronto is one route its available on.

"On some VIA Rail routes, you can get off and on the train exactly where you want — even in places where there is no scheduled stop! The ideal solution for outdoor activities - at that little lake deep in the forest, or that wild river you've been dreaming of for so long!"

https://www.viarail.ca/en/explore-ou...tions/stations

They do have a disclaimer that if the special stop will delay the train they may refuse the request for a special stop.
Old Nov 9th 2021, 11:19 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
On some Via routes you can still get on/off in the middle of nowhere.
I've seen that, but shouldn't mention it. It was in northern Ontario and the thread title is "Winnipeg". Mention of anything outside the Winnipeg city limits risks a scolding. Fish dimensions in Saskatchewan, tsk!
Old Nov 9th 2021, 12:22 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Mention of anything outside the Winnipeg city limits risks a scolding. Fish dimensions in Saskatchewan, tsk!
These are the ones we go to Winnipeg for.

Old Nov 9th 2021, 9:43 pm
Just Joined

Chantell8115 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MB-Realtor
I'm no longer a Realtor, Retired in 2010, so I'm out of date on market conditions.

Really the only area to avoid (and this is really generalising as there are nice parts) is the area within:

East of Arlington
South of Burrows Ave
North of Portage
West of Henderson Hwy.

Crime in Winnipeg is fueled by drugs and gangs, generally if your not buying or selling drugs or in a gang them you really reduce your chances of being involved in a crime.

Weather, It can be very cold, this is balanced by the sunshine, the coldest days tend to be the sunniest.

Most of the people are really very nice and friendly.
Thank you so much for the info!!
Old Nov 9th 2021, 9:46 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by luketarplin
We moved to Winnipeg in June 2019 with 2 young children, now 11 and 3 years old, our experience of living in Winnipeg is that it’s a nice place to bring up a family, Manitobans are by and large, friendly and we’ve made fantastic friends here. For us we like a quiet life and don’t really venture downtown too much, apart from the odd day or so in the week when I go there for work, but we aren’t really nightlife people and that suits us. There does appear to be lots of festivals and events that happen in Winnipeg, especially over the winter months.

Yeah Winnipeg does get cold in winter, and has a reputation for it too. The thing is people here kind of embrace that as part of the lifestyle, you have to since the snow can last a long time, although as I write this in November, we haven’t had and snowfall where we are yet, I just hope that means it won’t last longer into next year . There are plenty of activities in winter for kids, we go tobogganing and snow walks, I know there is cross country skiing and walks along the frozen river. A good set of winter clothes is a must and cars have block heaters to plug in during the really cold days. It’s the wind that will get you, if the wind isn’t blowing it’s not too bad.

As mentioned there are also insects that bite and sting here, in fact a lot of them, I remember reading somewhere once, that Winnipeg had the most amount of biting / stinging insects in all of North America. I don’t know if that’s true, but I can tell you they can be a nuisance over the summer months. We just buy bug spray and wear light coloured clothes and we tend to manage, from our POV it’s not a big issue.

If you do look to settle in Winnipeg, there are some really nice areas, mainly south of the river, people will tell you avoid the north end, or downtown at night. This is probably good advice, but personally as somebody who grew up in the rough end of Birmingham I don’t find Winnipeg any worse than anywhere else. There are some new ares of the city, which are highly sought after; Bridgewater, Sage Creek & Whiteridge to name a few. There are also some older, more established areas, like Charleswood where we live and St Vital.

Be prepared for lots of… why are you moving to Winnipeg? Questions, we had them a lot on our journey, it took us aback a bit, Winnipeg has a reputation, which IMHO is not well deserved, sure there are issues like anywhere, and it’s not as exciting as Toronto, or has the mountains like Van, but we love it here and wouldn’t live anywhere else. The small city feel, the friendliness, the clear night skies & chance to see the arora, the vast tree coverage in the city, the many well maintained parks & natural areas, the nice hot summers, the cold winters (we love snow).

HTH
Thank you so much for the information and good points. I am glad you and your family are happy over there. Hope to visit Winnipeng Jan/Feb.

Thank you!!!
Old Nov 9th 2021, 9:48 pm
Just Joined

Smile Re: Winnipeg

Thank you so much everyone for your input, really appreciate it!!!
Old Nov 9th 2021, 10:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
I've seen that, but shouldn't mention it. It was in northern Ontario and the thread title is "Winnipeg". Mention of anything outside the Winnipeg city limits risks a scolding. Fish dimensions in Saskatchewan, tsk!

I have been on trains that stopped by the side of a lake and dropped off hunters or fishers, with absolutely no sign of habitation about 3 times. Twice the drop offs were in Ontario, BUT the 3rd was in Manitoba.

So it does happen in Manitoba.
Old Nov 10th 2021, 8:21 am
Forum Regular

I am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond repute

i have been picked up on a siding in the middle of nowhere... but it was northern ontario so out of scope, I fear. Also, trips to Wabikami [oops, NO again!] can use the train for a convenient drop off/pick up point, including canoes: parkrailaccess.pdf (wabakimi.org)

Old Nov 10th 2021, 11:02 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by I am I said
i have been picked up on a siding in the middle of nowhere... but it was northern ontario so out of scope, I fear. Also, trips to Wabikami [oops, NO again!] can use the train for a convenient drop off/pick up point, including canoes: parkrailaccess.pdf (wabakimi.org)
Delightful to see that, in God's country, God's measures reign.
Old Dec 16th 2021, 9:59 am
Forum Regular

Rogo is an unknown quantity at this point

There was a saying once it was called a Winterpeg during Winter , but how is life there Putting it on a different level from
Nyc or Chicago does it have a Gang problem drug and Crime Related and what’s the drug of Choice .
Old Dec 18th 2021, 9:00 am
BE Enthusiast

abner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chantell8115
Hope to visit Winnipeg Jan/Feb.
Well, you can't say you weren't warned then, after experiencing that...

Yeah, it's cold in winter, and winter lasts a long time there. In most years, it offers the second-most challenging winters (to a recent immigrant) of any major city in Canada, barring Edmonton.

Conversely, it offers great summer recreation around the Lake Winnipeg area, as long as you're prepared for the bugs (mosquitoes and black-flies).

And while it's the largest population centre for 1000km in any direction, culturally it's an overgrown farm town.

And yet, I loved my time there, many years ago. It was the easiest place I've ever encountered -- and I've moved around a lot -- to make 'acquaintances' (in a good sense): people who were open and interesting to talk to, and who might have become longterm good friends had I settled down there.