Winnipeg

Old Oct 22nd 2006, 1:10 am
Jedi

andrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Winnipeg

Hi,

My name is Andrew, I'm 24 and moved to Canada in October 2005 to live with my girlfriend in Winnipeg.

I started out on a BUNAC non-student working holiday visa (the easiest way to get a "foot in the door"). I had done some job searching, but not much. I have my masters in Civil Engineering and found a job advert for an engineering consultancy. I didnt hear much whilst i was in England, but my first day in Winnipeg I got the call for an interview, the following week i was starting work. I recently switched to a work permit as my visa expired, and i couldnt apply for common-law sponsorship until we had 12 months living together under our belts. We have now applied for PR.

Anyways, thats not the point of my thread. I've made little contribution to the forum, but after reading posts on here, everyone seems to neglect to even think about Winnipeg when considering Canada, so why not make people aware as to what Winnipeg has to offer.

My first impressions of Winnipeg reminded me of a Northern UK city, such as Leeds or Newcastle. A population of roughly 700,000, I found Winnipeg to be very comfortable in size, not too big not too small.A real up-and-coming city can be seen from all the construction taking place (Previosuly MTS centre, now the HYdro Building and Flood ways etc). The thought of moving to Toronto/vancouver is quite intimidating when you arrive with only a bagfull of clothes.

I know a few immigrants who have moved to winnipeg in various professions, and not one has had any major trouble in securing a well paying job. My present employer had been looking for over a year for someone suitbale for my position, but the skills based is just not here. There seems to be a real 'brain drain' from winnipeg to the "golden paved paths of calgary" and the US. But every cloud-real job openings in choice occupations. True-your not going to get the mega-bucks in Winnipeg, but personally I feel its a great place to gain some Canadian experience then if you wish to go to the bigger meccas of riches you can. Having said that, i'm now earning similar to a UK wage (thanks to my LMO upping my wage to industry averges-bless you HRSDC!), and I've never been better off. I can also see the Calgary bubbles bursting in the next 5-10 years-no place can keep the level of growth happening there at present-and i truly hope Winnipeg takes advantage.

Also, house prices are also fantastic. I see people paying twice as much for a half decent property in the UK, here i can buy a house i could only dream off in England. Pretty safe neighbourhoods too (winnipeg is no longer the murder capital of canada-only 16 this year, thats a 1 in 45,000 chance only of being butchered!). But there are plenty of great neighbourhoods to live, with excellent schools as far as i can see.

If you want mountains, then Winnipeg isn't for you. If your wanting lakes, then get to Winnipeg. The abundance of lakes here in mind-breaking. It all gives Manitoba a great camping experience, if your that way inclined. What can beat camping, sitting under the stars watching the northern lights?

Winnipeg can also provide all the entertainment you could want-Folkfest, Rockfest, Beer festival, Winnipeg Ballet plus plenty of of seasonal celebrations at the Forks. The local music scene is also excellent-especially for Jazz fans. Sport to, with the bluebombers, Mantioba Moose and Goldeyes. True no NHL team anymore, but I'm working on bringing the JETS back!!

Winnipeg does have its problems, but so does every city. The only one I can see thats exclusive are the especially cold winters. But its what you make of it, dress warm and go for a ski-doo, or get the fire going and tell ghostly stories in your cosy nest. I personally love the winters here, but hey, im weird!

I think i'll sign off now, i just wanted to make people aware that there are other options to consider other than the usual suspects. Don't take too much notice of people who tell you bad stories of winnipeg, the people here are the friendliest people i have ever come across, and I'm proud and love to live in Winnipeg. If your looking for a great starter city, then i urge you to consider Winnipeg!

Regards, and best of look if your applying for Canada.

Andrew

Last edited by andrewrb143; Oct 22nd 2006 at 1:13 am.
Old Oct 22nd 2006, 4:46 am
Happy in Canada.

Grah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Winnipeg

Andrew

Don't forget the Kids sports everything from soccer to fencing indoors all winter. You have hockey ringette sponge hockey for adults Flag football

Indoor soccer costs - to play about 20 games on the same artificial turf as Real Madrid's training ground $225. That includes uniform and 4 hours a week training in a school Gym. so from tomorrow and until March plenty of time running the weather gauntlet for 1,000s of families. Which may be cold outdoors but in a toastie 21c degrees

How bad is it to travel - We have a girl on our team who's parents drive in 45 minutes each way for practises and games and may miss 1 due to blowing snow.

Winnipeg really is a family type of place.

I think you'll find most of the murders were committed by relatives after a few to many drinks. So either don't drink or don't have relatives over and you'll be safe.

Manitoba isn't just Winnipeg though Truck drivers and trade skills are need all over the place. If you have Forestery, Agriculture, Mining, smelting health or Power knowledge you could live very well here.

Did the boffins know a Level-4 virology lab, one of 15 in the world, and the only one in Canada. is here. So must be pretty safe from Earthquakes here.
Old Oct 22nd 2006, 9:35 am
Happy Bunnies

Flossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks
Your posts have certainly made me look at the mls site for Winnipeg!

Could you give me an idea of the better areas for housing if, say, you were to be working in downtown Winnipeg so I can get an idea of prices.
Cheers
Flossie
Old Oct 22nd 2006, 2:17 pm
Jedi

andrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Flossie and Jim
Thanks

Could you give me an idea of the better areas for housing if, say, you were to be working in downtown Winnipeg so I can get an idea of prices.
Cheers
Flossie
It depends on your budget I'd say, but If I could live in one place it'd be River Heights. I current live in the Wolseley area which is full of tree huggers, but its a good affordable area. I'm sure Grah may be able to give you some other ideas as to areas. I havent got a mega budget, so we're looking maybe somewhere outside the city, places such as Stonewall. But there are plenty of good areas to live, and travelling downtown wont be much hassle i dont think (the usual city parking problems), or take too long. Winnipeg doesnt have a subway or metro system, but it does have a very good transit area.
Old Oct 22nd 2006, 4:18 pm
Journeyman Canadian

scimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of light

Great Post!

There is a lot of Winnipeg/Manitoba debates in the archive, it has a lot to offer for certain people.
We have lived here for 15 months. We are not only glad we chose Manitoba, we are also relieved we never chose one of the bigger cities, the reason being house prices alone.

We live out of town on an acreage, 25mins East of the city, my wage is far higher than England, but that is because I am a tradesman and they are valued here more than England.
I have changed jobs recently, I was a Construction Electrician, Winnipeg is prosperous and work is in abundance, I have now got a job in Maintenance at the Royal Canadian Mint- a government job!!

I would recommend Manitoba to any young family, whose main goal in life is to take advantage of the equity in there UK home, reduce/ eliminate there mortgage or buy a bigger home with the option of land.

Darren

Originally Posted by andrewrb143
Hi,

My name is Andrew, I'm 24 and moved to Canada in October 2005 to live with my girlfriend in Winnipeg.

I started out on a BUNAC non-student working holiday visa (the easiest way to get a "foot in the door"). I had done some job searching, but not much. I have my masters in Civil Engineering and found a job advert for an engineering consultancy. I didnt hear much whilst i was in England, but my first day in Winnipeg I got the call for an interview, the following week i was starting work. I recently switched to a work permit as my visa expired, and i couldnt apply for common-law sponsorship until we had 12 months living together under our belts. We have now applied for PR.

Anyways, thats not the point of my thread. I've made little contribution to the forum, but after reading posts on here, everyone seems to neglect to even think about Winnipeg when considering Canada, so why not make people aware as to what Winnipeg has to offer.

My first impressions of Winnipeg reminded me of a Northern UK city, such as Leeds or Newcastle. A population of roughly 700,000, I found Winnipeg to be very comfortable in size, not too big not too small.A real up-and-coming city can be seen from all the construction taking place (Previosuly MTS centre, now the HYdro Building and Flood ways etc). The thought of moving to Toronto/vancouver is quite intimidating when you arrive with only a bagfull of clothes.

I know a few immigrants who have moved to winnipeg in various professions, and not one has had any major trouble in securing a well paying job. My present employer had been looking for over a year for someone suitbale for my position, but the skills based is just not here. There seems to be a real 'brain drain' from winnipeg to the "golden paved paths of calgary" and the US. But every cloud-real job openings in choice occupations. True-your not going to get the mega-bucks in Winnipeg, but personally I feel its a great place to gain some Canadian experience then if you wish to go to the bigger meccas of riches you can. Having said that, i'm now earning similar to a UK wage (thanks to my LMO upping my wage to industry averges-bless you HRSDC!), and I've never been better off. I can also see the Calgary bubbles bursting in the next 5-10 years-no place can keep the level of growth happening there at present-and i truly hope Winnipeg takes advantage.

Also, house prices are also fantastic. I see people paying twice as much for a half decent property in the UK, here i can buy a house i could only dream off in England. Pretty safe neighbourhoods too (winnipeg is no longer the murder capital of canada-only 16 this year, thats a 1 in 45,000 chance only of being butchered!). But there are plenty of great neighbourhoods to live, with excellent schools as far as i can see.

If you want mountains, then Winnipeg isn't for you. If your wanting lakes, then get to Winnipeg. The abundance of lakes here in mind-breaking. It all gives Manitoba a great camping experience, if your that way inclined. What can beat camping, sitting under the stars watching the northern lights?

Winnipeg can also provide all the entertainment you could want-Folkfest, Rockfest, Beer festival, Winnipeg Ballet plus plenty of of seasonal celebrations at the Forks. The local music scene is also excellent-especially for Jazz fans. Sport to, with the bluebombers, Mantioba Moose and Goldeyes. True no NHL team anymore, but I'm working on bringing the JETS back!!

Winnipeg does have its problems, but so does every city. The only one I can see thats exclusive are the especially cold winters. But its what you make of it, dress warm and go for a ski-doo, or get the fire going and tell ghostly stories in your cosy nest. I personally love the winters here, but hey, im weird!

I think i'll sign off now, i just wanted to make people aware that there are other options to consider other than the usual suspects. Don't take too much notice of people who tell you bad stories of winnipeg, the people here are the friendliest people i have ever come across, and I'm proud and love to live in Winnipeg. If your looking for a great starter city, then i urge you to consider Winnipeg!

Regards, and best of look if your applying for Canada.

Andrew
Old Oct 23rd 2006, 2:34 am
Happy in Canada.

Grah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Flossie and Jim
Thanks

Cheers
Flossie

well as already said loads of Choices.

From 34 Arces 2000+ Sqfoot 3 out buildings next to Golf course, next to a 36 acre country park. for 299,000.

Basically any house not in the core and over $100,000 will almost certainly be ok but check MLS.CA and then search here there is a thread with loads of communit info then ask US.

Best of luck
Old Oct 23rd 2006, 3:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Agree, it's a perfectly pleasant place to live. It's not for me, we'll be leaving soon, but I can't say I've had a crap time here because I haven't. I doubt Winnipeg can be beaten on cost of living - cheap housing, cheap electricity, cheap car insurance... it's only the flights out that are a killer
Old Oct 23rd 2006, 4:01 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
Agree, it's a perfectly pleasant place to live. It's not for me, we'll be leaving soon, but I can't say I've had a crap time here because I haven't. I doubt Winnipeg can be beaten on cost of living - cheap housing, cheap electricity, cheap car insurance... it's only the flights out that are a killer
Moving south or back to Calgary?

Or you could just tell me it's none of my damned business.
Old Oct 23rd 2006, 4:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hangman
Moving south or back to Calgary?

Or you could just tell me it's none of my damned business.
Not sure, negotiations* are ongoing, hoping to settle on a good compromise soon!

*=in a loud shouty "if you think I'm going *there* you must be mad" kind of way
Old Oct 23rd 2006, 4:23 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Not sure, negotiations* are ongoing, hoping to settle on a good compromise soon!

Iqaluit or Resolute?:scared::scared:

Last edited by Hangman; Oct 23rd 2006 at 4:42 pm.
Old Oct 23rd 2006, 4:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

celine_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of light

But your still staying in canada right ??? I'm sure if you leave you'll be missed, I know I'll miss you insight on here…….