Winnipeg

Old Nov 15th 2003, 11:18 am
Forum Regular

elenadee is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Winnipeg

Anyone got any views on Winnipeg? Lived there? Worked there? Whats the culture like and so on?
Old Nov 15th 2003, 4:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Corky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to behold

Can't say as I have been there but I do know they call it Winterpeg!
Old Nov 16th 2003, 5:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

crazydaisy has a brilliant futurecrazydaisy has a brilliant futurecrazydaisy has a brilliant futurecrazydaisy has a brilliant futurecrazydaisy has a brilliant futurecrazydaisy has a brilliant future

Hiya, We're moving there next March. We chose Winnipeg on a personal basis as my grandmother was born there and I felt compelled to be near her birthtown but aside from that it is quite a good place to go with respect to housing (one of the cheapest places to live in all of Canada), jobs (one of the lowest unemployment rates), ethnic diversity etc. The disadvantages would include the less dramatic scenery with it being mainly flat (although there's a snow board run just North of the city) and also the flatness means high winds which makes it feel much colder. Manitoba is central to the whole of Canada and Winnipeg is not too far from the US border plus you can travel up to North Manitoba for polar bear and beluga whale spotting. I have a whole host of websites about Winnipeg if you wanted more info. for instance weather conditions (although it gets cold it is listed as more sun hours than most other places in Canada and has the sunniest Springs and Winters), neighbourhoods, job situations etc. so give me a nod if you wanted. For a starter you can read the Manitoba advantage report which compares the area to others to give you an idea http://www.gov.mb.ca/finance/reports/pdf/advantage.pdf
Old Nov 19th 2003, 3:53 am
Just Joined

Douglas is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey E,

Although this is a British Expats site I am originally from Winnipeg, currently living in Toronto and about to move to Glasgow (which is why I am registered here).

Winter: yes, can get very cold - the coldest I've experienced was a record breaking -42°C. Due to dangerously cold temperatures, everyone over the age of 16 in Winnipeg drives a car. This has a strong impact on the urban design of the city resulting in lots of parking lots and poor public transit. Unlike Ontario, Manitoba has one of the lowest auto insurance rates in North America.

Yes, you also have to plug your car in at night (most cars have engine block heaters) but it's a myth that if you spit in February it will hit the ground as an ice cube.

Summer: 1 to 2 hours out of Winnipeg are some of the best beach and cottage areas in the world. Grand Beach and Victoria Beach are stunning, miles of white sand along the enormous Lake Winnipeg. The Lake of the Woods area is filled with interconnected lakes and islands and is ideal for boating and canoe trips. In either regions you can still buy a lake-front cottage for very little. Equally impressive is the never-ending farm land that surrounds the city.

Socially: there are a ton of bars – try the Red Cactus on Corydon or any in the Exchange District. Winnipeggers are usually very friendly and despite being a multicultural mix, the city is starving for international visitors. An accent will take you very far.

Culture: far more sophisticated (galleries, ballet, music, cafes, attitude) than the other Prairie cities (especially Calgary). When I was living there, the New Music Festival consecutively sold out the Centennial Concert Hall. 5000+ people watching a Finnish abstract sound artist perform by throwing steel balls on to the string of a Steinway, in February.

The Negative: it doesn’t seem to be handling urban Native Canadian poverty issues very well. Tends to be a 9 to 5 city. Car dominated. Lost it’s NHL franchise. And you do feel like you are living on an island during the winter.

The Positive: clean air, brilliant sunshine, beaches, incredibly cheap living (check out the online real estate listings), Royal Winnipeg Ballet & Opera and really friendly people.

If you are still interested, to get a flavour of the city (and find out the latest canola and wheat prices) listen to the local cbc broadcast between 12-2pm and 4-6pm Central time:
http://www.cbc.ca/audio.html

Good luck.
Old Nov 19th 2003, 8:12 pm
Forum Regular

citizen is an unknown quantity at this point

you forgot to mention the mozzies. it`s their world capital.
Old Nov 22nd 2003, 6:11 am
BE Enthusiast

crazydaisy has a brilliant futurecrazydaisy has a brilliant futurecrazydaisy has a brilliant futurecrazydaisy has a brilliant futurecrazydaisy has a brilliant futurecrazydaisy has a brilliant future

For anyone already living in Winnipeg - I read somewhere that there's an underground subway route but I've been searching everywhere for more details of their routes and costs or a map of the underground or something but can't find anything online - anyone have any ideas?

Cheers!
Old Nov 22nd 2003, 2:46 pm
Just Joined

Douglas is an unknown quantity at this point

There isn't an underground / subway / metro although there are a lot of underground pathways connecting the downtown buildings. As mentioned the car is king in this Prairie town.

I found the real estate listing web site:
http://www.wreb.mb.ca/wren/index.htm
(click on 'This weeks MLS')
Expensive areas (£ 150,000+): Tuxedo, River Heights
Really affordable & nice neigbourhoods (£20,000+): Wolsely, Crescentwood.

Also,
http://www.webview360.com/index.jsp

Digital/Online News:
http://newwinnipeg.com/
Old Nov 22nd 2003, 7:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by Douglas
There isn't an underground / subway / metro although there are a lot of underground pathways connecting the downtown buildings. As mentioned the car is king in this Prairie town.

I found the real estate listing web site:
http://www.wreb.mb.ca/wren/index.htm
(click on 'This weeks MLS')
Expensive areas (£ 150,000+): Tuxedo, River Heights
Really affordable & nice neigbourhoods (£20,000+): Wolsely, Crescentwood.

Also,
http://www.webview360.com/index.jsp

Digital/Online News:
http://newwinnipeg.com/
Ah, je suis un idiot! No wonder I couldn't find anything on subway trains! Thanks for letting me know before I spend many more hours trying to find a route map! Wow - what a fab. idea - underground tunnels so you can avoid all that cold wind.
Old Nov 26th 2003, 3:51 pm
Just Joined

nydeidith is an unknown quantity at this point

hi all! i have some questions about winnipeg too, im moving there next month to attend university as a international student from singapore.

1. whats the procedure to apply for a cellphone and cable connection, what are the rates like and which service providers shd i be looking at?

2. i intend to bring 1k CAD cash and 2k CAD travellers cheque. i am thinking of using the 2k travellers cheque for opening a bank account. do u guys think its a good idea? which are the banks i shd consider and is it possible to get a credit/debit card?

3. i took gce o'levels and a'levels, do u think i shd bring my original certs there? i dunno if i may need there..

4. what winter clothes must i get to combat the winter? never bought winter clothes before, any websites i can look at? hehee, dun wanna buy the wrong type of clothes.

thanks for the help! :0)
Old Nov 27th 2003, 4:17 am
Forum Regular

CJ6680 is an unknown quantity at this point

we had cable connected this week, its $44 month for premium package, jut phone hem up answer the questions and someone comes out to hook you up, thez did our high speed internet the same time,
same with mobiles, simple, its cold here at the moment so be prepared.
Old Nov 27th 2003, 4:19 am
Forum Regular

we had cable connected this week, its $44 month for premium package, jut phone hem up answer the questions and someone comes out to hook you up, thez did our high speed internet the same time,shaw is the best to use.
same with mobiles, simple, its cold here at the moment so be prepared. very thick clothes, waterproofs.
Old Nov 27th 2003, 9:38 am
Living in the sun

connollys.home is a splendid one to beholdconnollys.home is a splendid one to beholdconnollys.home is a splendid one to beholdconnollys.home is a splendid one to beholdconnollys.home is a splendid one to beholdconnollys.home is a splendid one to beholdconnollys.home is a splendid one to beholdconnollys.home is a splendid one to beholdconnollys.home is a splendid one to beholdconnollys.home is a splendid one to beholdconnollys.home is a splendid one to behold
Thumbs up

Originally posted by crazydaisy
Hiya, We're moving there next March. We chose Winnipeg on a personal basis as my grandmother was born there and I felt compelled to be near her birthtown but aside from that it is quite a good place to go with respect to housing (one of the cheapest places to live in all of Canada), jobs (one of the lowest unemployment rates), ethnic diversity etc. The disadvantages would include the less dramatic scenery with it being mainly flat (although there's a snow board run just North of the city) and also the flatness means high winds which makes it feel much colder. Manitoba is central to the whole of Canada and Winnipeg is not too far from the US border plus you can travel up to North Manitoba for polar bear and beluga whale spotting. I have a whole host of websites about Winnipeg if you wanted more info. for instance weather conditions (although it gets cold it is listed as more sun hours than most other places in Canada and has the sunniest Springs and Winters), neighbourhoods, job situations etc. so give me a nod if you wanted. For a starter you can read the Manitoba advantage report which compares the area to others to give you an idea http://www.gov.mb.ca/finance/reports/pdf/advantage.pdf
Hi just down loaded your link thanks

martin
Old Nov 27th 2003, 6:56 pm
Forum Regular

crazy daisy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by CJ6680
we had cable connected this week, its $44 month for premium package, jut phone hem up answer the questions and someone comes out to hook you up, thez did our high speed internet the same time,shaw is the best to use.
same with mobiles, simple, its cold here at the moment so be prepared. very thick clothes, waterproofs.
Hi CJ - been thinking about you. How did it all go? Settling in OK? Keep in touch!

We're having problems finding somewhere to rent that'll take our pet Lab. How're you finding places to rent with your dog?

Best wishes,

Daisy
Old Dec 3rd 2003, 2:28 pm
Forum Regular

easy to find somewhere that took the dog, we are renting with the view to purchase the property from the owner which is good, make sure you gosouth of the river, everyone will tell you its the best place to live with kids, we are in river heights, it was so simple at the airport, they are more concerned for the dog from the travel they quickly stamped the passports to hurry us through, its cold here at the mo.
will gather some info on places for dogs and send them over to you on private im ok crazydaisy.
Old Dec 4th 2003, 3:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by CJ6680
easy to find somewhere that took the dog, we are renting with the view to purchase the property from the owner which is good, make sure you gosouth of the river, everyone will tell you its the best place to live with kids, we are in river heights, it was so simple at the airport, they are more concerned for the dog from the travel they quickly stamped the passports to hurry us through, its cold here at the mo.
will gather some info on places for dogs and send them over to you on private im ok crazydaisy.
Hi there - I've been looking at areas like St.Vital, Fort Garry and Riverheights so may end close by! South Winnipeg looks good for us as I'm considering temping for Univ. of Manitoba. (I worked as a temp. at Cambridge University in the UK so will ask them for a reference ahead of time to take with me.) We've had a breakthough sorting out accomodation - a housing co-op close to St.Vital centre has said they'll take our dog if they have something available next Spring. They've got 2, 3 & 4 bedroom townhouses so hopefully something will come up. I've been talking to a realtor and mortgage broker too just in case we can manage to raise enough for a house.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.