Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Window Treatments?

View Poll Results: Window Treatments: What do you like?
Curtains
45.83%
Venetian Blinds
45.83%
Other
8.33%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Window Treatments?

Old Apr 27th 2005, 1:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

dozzzzy has a reputation beyond reputedozzzzy has a reputation beyond reputedozzzzy has a reputation beyond reputedozzzzy has a reputation beyond reputedozzzzy has a reputation beyond reputedozzzzy has a reputation beyond reputedozzzzy has a reputation beyond reputedozzzzy has a reputation beyond reputedozzzzy has a reputation beyond reputedozzzzy has a reputation beyond reputedozzzzy has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Window Treatments?

Hi,

I have visited Canada several times, visited a number of homes and looking through MLS.CA I am struck by the preponderance of Venetian blinds as opposed to curtains up at windows. Are curtains an anathema in Canada or just very very expensive? Don't folks think that Venetian blinds make rooms feel sterile and cold, they do to me, but then I am used to curtains and what would appear to be smaller rooms.

Dozzzzy

Last edited by dozzzzy; Apr 27th 2005 at 1:34 pm.
Old Apr 27th 2005, 1:43 pm
Here and happy at last

gooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant future
Default Re: Window Treatments?

We were told that they don't sell curtains in Wallmart, Zellers etc. People make them!! if they want them. What we did find is loads of voiles, with single tie back panels , very narrow, that are really expensive. What you can look at is the bathroom curtains hey sell!!! Some of them are really lovely and come in long drop and extra wide. They use this in conjunction with a seperate plastic shower curtain. They were much cheaper and we bought plain cream fabric ones for the kids bedroom, as our windows were really wide. I did not have sewing machine , and could notbe bothered to make them.
In Wallmart we then bought veneitan blinds for between 50p and £5.each. They were really really cheap. We had to look twice at the price, and went mad and put them on all the windows.

This is our holiday home at present and when we move out for good, I will be taking my curtains with me for some of the rooms.

Originally Posted by dozzzzy
Hi,

I have visited Canada several times, visited a number of homes and looking through MLS.CA I am struck by the preponderance of Venetian blinds as opposed to curtains up at windows. Are curtains an anathema in Canada or just very very expensive? Don't folks think that Venetian blinds make rooms feel sterile and cold, they do to me, but then I am used to curtains and what would appear to be smaller rooms.

Dozzzzy
Old Apr 27th 2005, 1:59 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Curtains are certainly not as widely used here as they are in the UK, although they are widely available (and, yes, a lot of people do make their own; Canada is very much a DIY society).

I suspect that blinds (horizontal or vertical) are used in preference to nets (aka sheers). It could also be that Canadians are not that much into soft furnishings. Carpet is not very popular here. Wood flooring is.

There may also be a practical reason for not wanting to cover windows with curtains. We noticed last winter that windows covered by curtains were isolated from the heating system during the night and developed a thick layer of ice by morning. On the inside.
Old Apr 27th 2005, 2:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Purley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, souvenir has hit the nail on the head. If you have those real heavy curtains like people use in England - your windows and outside walls can freeze in the winter because no hot air from the room reaches them.

I tend to have venetian blinds because in the summer the sun is really hot and you can adjust them so you can see out a bit but you can also close them right off to keep the sun out. Then I have some roman blinds or panels to soften the look inside the room.

Mind you, I watch Selling Houses and that guy is English and the houses are English and he hates net curtains. I must say that the do look rather "grannyish" to me - and I actually a granny!!
Old Apr 27th 2005, 2:27 pm
Account Closed

Sean Boxer is an unknown quantity at this point

Cheack the Sears catalogue for Curtain Heaven (or Hell - you have been warned)
Old Apr 27th 2005, 2:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Maple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to behold

I love the venetian blinds, the give privacy when wanted and also allow a breeze to blow through.
I do NOT like the frills and fuss of the bathroom curtains. they will never be in my home
Old Apr 27th 2005, 2:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

KennyJosie is a name known to allKennyJosie is a name known to allKennyJosie is a name known to allKennyJosie is a name known to allKennyJosie is a name known to allKennyJosie is a name known to allKennyJosie is a name known to allKennyJosie is a name known to allKennyJosie is a name known to allKennyJosie is a name known to allKennyJosie is a name known to all

We're still in Scotland, but don't you have verticals blinds in Canada?
They're better looking than venetians, don't get quite as dusty and are just as versatile.
Just thought I'd ask.....
Old Apr 27th 2005, 2:49 pm
man about town - Toronto

tonshue will become famous soon enoughtonshue will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by dozzzzy
Hi,

Dozzzzy
OMG what is the world coming too where we have to chat about curtains lol is everyone bored out there!!
Old Apr 27th 2005, 2:52 pm

Originally Posted by KennyJosie
We're still in Scotland, but don't you have verticals blinds in Canada?
They're better looking than venetians, don't get quite as dusty and are just as versatile.
Just thought I'd ask.....
Of course we do. They're typically used for patio doors.
Old Apr 27th 2005, 3:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Calgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond repute

You can get just about any kind of window treatment you want, but 'nets' (sheers here) are less popular, but seem to be making a bit of a fashion comeback. They don't seem to be as patterned here though. Curtains (aka Drapes) seem to be coming back a bit too. If you want to have really nice quality though, then you will have to get them custom done.

I also think it's harder to get them ready made because the windows are so much more varied in size here - I haven't had one house that any window treatments could be transferred to from the previous!

I used to like all the nets and curtains in the UK, but not anymore (it's the 'darwin' effect I think ) Besides, with all this SUN here, you need blinds to control it! And the heat - wooden houses get very hot in the summer!

(I watch ALL the renovatio/decorating shows, because 1: I love 'em, and 2: we're doing two houses at the moment) Get lots of info, and ideas from there

Last edited by Calgal; Apr 27th 2005 at 3:27 pm.
Old Apr 27th 2005, 3:40 pm

Originally Posted by Calgal
You can get just about any kind of window treatment you want, but 'nets' (sheers here) are less popular, but seem to be making a bit of a fashion comeback. They don't seem to be as patterned here though. Curtains (aka Drapes) seem to be coming back a bit too. If you want to have really nice quality though, then you will have to get them custom done.

I also think it's harder to get them ready made because the windows are so much more varied in size here - I haven't had one house that any window treatments could be transferred to from the previous!

I used to like all the nets and curtains in the UK, but not anymore (it's the 'darwin' effect I think ) Besides, with all this SUN here, you need blinds to control it! And the heat - wooden houses get very hot in the summer!

(I watch ALL the renovatio/decorating shows, because 1: I love 'em, and 2: we're doing two houses at the moment) Get lots of info, and ideas from there
Us too Calgal. It's a disease. We're HGTV-positive. I met Mike Holmes last year. He's quite short really.
Old Apr 27th 2005, 3:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Calgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvenir
Us too Calgal. It's a disease. We're HGTV-positive. I met Mike Holmes last year. He's quite short really.
I LOVE him (don't tell me hubby ...lol) The world needs more guys like him, eh?
Does my heart good to see someone committed to doing what's RIGHT for a change!!
Old Apr 27th 2005, 3:53 pm

I LOVE him (don't tell me hubby ...lol) The world needs more guys like him, eh?
Does my heart good to see someone committed to doing what's RIGHT for a change!!
Who pays for all that work, though? I've never been quite sure.

More to the point, what's that star that has just appeared by name and what does it mean?
Old Apr 27th 2005, 3:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Souvenir
Who pays for all that work, though? I've never been quite sure.

More to the point, what's that star that has just appeared by name and what does it mean?
I think it means you have made 20 posts

I think the TV peeps pay for it (and dontions etc from all the goods and services they use - free advertising and credits etc), after all, the poor buggers that have been duped, have already paid their 'contractors'!
Old Apr 27th 2005, 4:07 pm

I think it means you have made 20 posts

I think the TV peeps pay for it (and dontions etc from all the goods and services they use - free advertising and credits etc), after all, the poor buggers that have been duped, have already paid their 'contractors'!
Oh. I just checked it out on his website. "Holmes on Homes offers discounts depending on the scope of the job, which are passed onto the homeowner. As HOH is a TV show, we have money to cover Mike’s time and his crew, and we pass these savings onto the homeowner. Any other costs are paid for by the homeowner." Presumably that's why we don't see him doing jobs for por people!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.