Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Will you still emigrate when the Canadian recession kicks in?

Will you still emigrate when the Canadian recession kicks in?

Old Sep 27th 2011, 7:31 pm
  #46  
Every day's a school day
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Location: Was Calgary back in Edmonton again !!
Posts: 2,666
cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Will you still emigrate when the Canadian recession kicks in?

Originally Posted by __TJ__ View Post
we are going in on a PNP, so as long as the job is ok for 11-13 months from landing, the PR is supposedly a given. if the job goes pear shaped, we could move the twp to another job (assuming he can get one) and that should be relatively quick. we will have savings, and i will have a SOWP for the two years, which should well exceed our PR processing. worst case scenario, i get a job ( trained as an accountant, part way thru degree in psychology) relatively easily, in fact we did consider getting me a TWP in the first place. hopefully we have contingencies in place.

BTW i like my £40 tesco glasses,
There is alot of ifs and buts in there and quite alot of assumptions...life has a habit of never turning out quite how you think.
cheeky_monkey is offline  
Old Sep 27th 2011, 7:32 pm
  #47  
Binned by Muderators
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: White Rock BC
Posts: 11,631
JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Will you still emigrate when the Canadian recession kicks in?

Originally Posted by helcat12 View Post
Is money the only reason any of the old hands on here moved to Canada?
I'm not sure if I qualify as an old hand (and if you are in doubt, I would rather not). However, for us money was not really a consideration. We moved here because we wanted to try living here.

On our initial recce we looked through the classified ads at house prices to make sure we could afford one, I talked to people to make sure the kind of wage I could earn would be enough to keep body and soul together. Once these boxes were ticked the rest of our trip was to spent making sure that the "feel" of the city was right for us.

On my second recce, after we had received our PR visas and were committed to emigrating, I looked more seriously into housing. That was when I got the "what a big house we can buy for our money" realization. Of course, this was coming from one of the more expensive towns in the UK, when the pound was $2.35, and real-estate in the Vancouver suburbs was still cheap.
JonboyE is offline  
Old Sep 27th 2011, 7:41 pm
  #48  
SUPER MODERATOR
 
christmasoompa's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: In a darkened room somewhere.............
Posts: 30,124
christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Will you still emigrate when the Canadian recession kicks in?

Originally Posted by helcat12 View Post
Surely only a very stupid person would live somewhere that has so little to recommend it and since I assume you do have a functioning intellect there is obviously something you are not telling us.

It didn't and presumably doesn't put you off living there. So if it works for you, why not for others?
Either you are unbelievably shallow and your whole life revolves round a bigger car and house, or you are a glutton for punishment or you are making a very bad attempt to put others off for reasons I cannot guess at.
There's no need to make it personal - not everybody has the choice of returning to the UK, even if they want to. Maybe their family is now settled in Canada, or they can't afford to move back etc, but do remember that many forum members just don't have that choice for one reason or another.

Originally Posted by __TJ__ View Post
if the job goes pear shaped, we could move the twp to another job (assuming he can get one) and that should be relatively quick.
Nope, you can't 'move the twp', it's employer specific. So you'd need to start from scratch i.e. find another job, get another positive LMO etc.

christmasoompa is offline  
Old Sep 27th 2011, 7:58 pm
  #49  
Seasoned Maritimer
 
Tangram's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2005
Location: Fredericton, New Brunswick CA
Posts: 8,240
Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Will you still emigrate when the Canadian recession kicks in?

Originally Posted by christmasoompa View Post
There's no need to make it personal - not everybody has the choice of returning to the UK, even if they want to. Maybe their family is now settled in Canada, or they can't afford to move back etc, but do remember that many forum members just don't have that choice for one reason or another.



Nope, you can't 'move the twp', it's employer specific. So you'd need to start from scratch i.e. find another job, get another positive LMO etc.

As I thought in post #45
Tangram is offline  
Old Sep 27th 2011, 8:01 pm
  #50  
Slightly Canadian
 
Atlantic Xpat's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Location: St. John's, Newfoundland
Posts: 9,834
Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Will you still emigrate when the Canadian recession kicks in?

Upon reflection, I was alarmingly blase about the prospects of not finding a job or not finding an interesting and sufficiently well paid job. We've lived with my in-laws for a while had all gone pear shaped and subsequent experience means that I know that wouldn'tve worked for 5 minutes or more.

I was lucky that I obtained a well paid decent job before I landed - a salary that I have yet to catch up to, 6 years and 2 jobs later. I was unlucky to be made redundant after a year at which point the reality of a small job market, being content with a lesser opportunity and the subsequent slow death of my working soul set in! Concurrently, I went through the whole appreciating the value of money by not converting back to sterling thing which also became slightly painful.

Still, even if I had of known those things, I doubt it would have prevented giving Nfld a try. It would have prevented me buying a Jeep Liberty on 5 years credit @ $700 a month though. That payment became painful after a while. However in the back of my mind in 2004/5 was a realistic expectation that if all went truly pear-shaped here I could move back to the UK and get a decent job fairly quickly. In todays economic climate that expectation might be very different.
Atlantic Xpat is offline  
Old Sep 27th 2011, 8:26 pm
  #51  
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 14,227
Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Will you still emigrate when the Canadian recession kicks in?

Originally Posted by ireland2canada View Post
I suppose it depends how risk tolerant the prospective immigrant is. Perhaps people should ask themselves if they would move to another part of the UK and work for minimum wage?

When I was looking into making the move I certainly had no intentions of working for minimum wage, having not done so since student days at home. I wanted to know that if it came to the crunch, could I get by in Toronto (ie: eat and pay rent) on that wage.

Some people will be prepared to do that should it come down to it, some will not, although I suspect that those who have plenty of 'comforts' at home will be less in touch with the realities of starting over.
Actually, I think I agree.

For me, I've been poor and I've no wish to repeat the experience. Call me shallow but I like money, it allows me to do the things I enjoy. I like having a big house with lots of space; I like eating out; I like owning gadgets and toys. And, most of all, I really like not worrying about money on a day-to-day basis.
Alan2005 is offline  
Old Sep 27th 2011, 8:35 pm
  #52  
finally together...
 
__TJ__'s Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: Prince George, BC
Posts: 811
__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Will you still emigrate when the Canadian recession kicks in?

With a pnp you don't get an lmo. According to my lawyer! And I'm told by cic that if he loses his job, and finds another they can apply a new twp as long as it's still union. He is technically sanctioned for pnp by union. Meanwhile I can work if I need to. He can raise the kids...
__TJ__ is offline  
Old Sep 27th 2011, 8:37 pm
  #53  
SUPER MODERATOR
 
christmasoompa's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: In a darkened room somewhere.............
Posts: 30,124
christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Will you still emigrate when the Canadian recession kicks in?

Originally Posted by __TJ__ View Post
With a pnp you don't get an lmo. According to my lawyer! And I'm told by cic that if he loses his job, and finds another they can apply a new twp as long as it's still union. He is technically sanctioned for pnp by union. Meanwhile I can work if I need to. He can raise the kids...
Ah, didn't realise you were doing PNP rather than a 'normal' TWP. But if he did lose his job, then the whole PNP application would be down the pan as well, so not sure that's any better really!
christmasoompa is offline  
Old Sep 27th 2011, 9:14 pm
  #54  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Nov 2009
Location: Gastown - East Van
Posts: 413
canadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Will you still emigrate when the Canadian recession kicks in?

Originally Posted by familyof4 View Post
Yes were moving, 2013 is our target, because of how long it takes to get my passport, kids citizenship cards and hubby's visa.

I will work in any field doing any job, I'm not bothered if I can carry on doing accounts, or clean toilets a jobs a job if it means I don't have to live In The uk anymore!
You're making a big mistake. There's way too many who come out to Canada who have nothing but bad feeling for UK. That's not a reason to emigrate somewhere, least not Canada. There's significantly mixed opinion about living in Canada and there's so much that makes you realize how much better many things are in UK. If it takes to move out here to discover that, then so be it, but it's not a reason to move. You're probably thinking 'oh yeah canada better standard of living'. Well ask yourself what that means and find evidence for it before you commit your family's life to a major change.
canadian_critic is offline  
Old Sep 27th 2011, 9:50 pm
  #55  
Moderαtor Emeritus
 
iaink's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2003
Location: Upstate South Carolina
Posts: 30,760
iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Will you still emigrate when the Canadian recession kicks in?

Someone in the past said something along the lines of

"HAPPILY EMPLOYED IMMIGRANT = HAPPY IMMIGRANT

UNHAPPILY (UN)EMPLOYED IMMIGRANT = UNHAPPY IMMIGRANT"

Thats the bottom line. Even if you can get by on $10 an hour, if you are used to more responsibility, more stimulation and more money, the chances of sticking it out here are slim. In a recession even minimum wage jobs are not guaranteed.

God Loves an optimist, but for a family to move here with nothing but good intentions seems reckless to me, and Im a big fan of Canadian life.
iaink is offline  
Old Sep 27th 2011, 10:11 pm
  #56  
Account Closed
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 175
trevorandjo york is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Will you still emigrate when the Canadian recession kicks in?

What an amazing thread, we were discussing his very thing this weekend, both of us have great jobs, house almost paid off, kids at good schools and doing well so why are we taking the risk, who would believe it, moving to another country without a job (assuming we get PR) or moving on a TWP and risk losing our jobs here and there, well, let me tell you why......

Canada had resources, land, and fiscal reserves. Sure, US has big problems, but, Canada is not totally reliant on the US. The Can$ will continue to strengthen against the £ and many other currencies, the Euro is doomed and is built on foundations of sand.

The UK has totally flawed economic and immigration policies that are unsustainable and the only thing that can save UK is hyper inflation this will de-value the debt (Government and Private). That however will devalue the currency and therefore will hit any exports we have. The oil has been pi##ed up the wall and we let anyone in who is from the greater EU and beyond. You prove that those from Afghan, Iraq and libya most African countries, pakistan and almost everywhere else is not a genuine asylum seeker and is not being persecuted. The Government (us taxpayers)is also funding them. And I can go on and on and I probebly will. UK is sunk, we (Jo and I) are in the top 5% of net earners in this country, but, with totally ineffectual policies, EU, benefits that encourage not one, but two generations to become professional scroungers - No wonder we want a level playing field, we see it in canada and australia and we will move.

Watch those that are successful in the UK, succeed overseas, you did it and many will work to ensure a better life for their families, UK is sunk!

As a previous poster stated, sh1t everywhere, however, there is more of it here.

Last edited by trevorandjo york; Sep 27th 2011 at 10:14 pm. Reason: ranting, forgot to spell check the fingers going mental
trevorandjo york is offline  
Old Sep 27th 2011, 10:12 pm
  #57  
Nuther day in paradise.ca
 
magnumpi's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Ajax, Ontario
Posts: 7,260
magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Will you still emigrate when the Canadian recession kicks in?

I like a gamble now an again. But not with my family.
Would we move to Canada with no job?

No.

Twp

No

A job and PR was what i took for me to leave the UK.
magnumpi is offline  
Old Sep 27th 2011, 10:20 pm
  #58  
Banned
 
Joined: Dec 2010
Location: Durham Region Extension
Posts: 3,342
ultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Will you still emigrate when the Canadian recession kicks in?

Originally Posted by Alan2005 View Post
Actually, I think I agree.

For me, I've been poor and I've no wish to repeat the experience. Call me shallow but I like money, it allows me to do the things I enjoy. I like having a big house with lots of space; I like eating out; I like owning gadgets and toys. And, most of all, I really like not worrying about money on a day-to-day basis.
So Sir....I must ask, is it true that "money can't buy you happiness"?
ultrarunner is offline  
Old Sep 27th 2011, 10:23 pm
  #59  
Soulless bureaucrat
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 361
Lemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Will you still emigrate when the Canadian recession kicks in?

Originally Posted by trevorandjo york View Post
UK is sunk, we (Jo and I) are in the top 5% of net earners in this country, but, with totally ineffectual policies, EU, benefits that encourage not one, but two generations to become professional scroungers - No wonder we want a level playing field, we see it in canada and australia and we will move.
Are you serious?

I can't believe that anyone would actually move countries because of the EU and 'professional scroungers'.

If I were you, I'd stop listening to the media so much and objectively consider your own circumstances.

If you're moving to try something new, want access to mountains, career opportunity etc. then that makes sense. More power to you.

But really, what the hell difference does the EU make to your day to day life? And if you are in the top 5% of earners, why would you care if some poor unfortunates live on the dole?

I'd recommend a short working holiday, maybe realize you don't have it too bad in the UK and then consider your options. Seriously.
Lemonfish is offline  
Old Sep 27th 2011, 10:25 pm
  #60  
Assimilated Pauper
 
dbd33's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2005
Location: Ontario
Posts: 38,555
dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Will you still emigrate when the Canadian recession kicks in?

Originally Posted by trevorandjo york View Post
What an amazing thread, we were discussing his very thing this weekend, both of us have great jobs, house almost paid off, kids at good schools and doing well so why are we taking the risk, who would believe it, moving to another country without a job (assuming we get PR) or moving on a TWP and risk losing our jobs here and there, well, let me tell you why......

Canada had resources, land, and fiscal reserves. Sure, US has big problems, but, Canada is not totally reliant on the US. The Can$ will continue to strengthen against the £ and many other currencies, the Euro is doomed and is built on foundations of sand.

The UK has totally flawed economic and immigration policies that are unsustainable and the only thing that can save UK is hyper inflation this will de-value the debt (Government and Private). That however will devalue the currency and therefore will hit any exports we have. The oil has been pi##ed up the wall and we let anyone in who is from the greater EU and beyond. You prove that those from Afghan, Iraq and libya most African countries, pakistan and almost everywhere else is not a genuine asylum seeker and is not being persecuted. The Government (us taxpayers)is also funding them. And I can go on and on and I probebly will. UK is sunk, we (Jo and I) are in the top 5% of net earners in this country, but, with totally ineffectual policies, EU, benefits that encourage not one, but two generations to become professional scroungers - No wonder we want a level playing field, we see it in canada and australia and we will move.

Watch those that are successful in the UK, succeed overseas, you did it and many will work to ensure a better life for their families, UK is sunk!

As a previous poster stated, sh1t everywhere, however, there is more of it here.
Apart from being more restrictive, setting the barriers to entry higher, how would you say the UK's immigration policy differs from that of Canada?
dbd33 is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.