Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Wildlife in Alberta

Wildlife in Alberta

Old Dec 16th 2006, 3:42 pm
mañana is my busiest day

oceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Wildlife in Alberta

Originally Posted by Linda P
I can't remember what the sea looks like!!!!!

Linda
Here's what it looks like.
Attached Thumbnails Wildlife in Alberta-dsc02126.jpg  
Old Dec 17th 2006, 2:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Linda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Morwenna
Shingle beach, stinky seaweed ...... I can't say I miss our particular brand of sea!

I have to agree.....I don't miss it at all, I would much rather visit any of the beautiful lakes in the Rockies!!!!

oceanMDX ......I think I could miss that!!

Linda
Old Dec 17th 2006, 2:50 am

minihaha is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Wildlife in Alberta

www.weaselhead.org.

This is a great site for finding out about all wildlife you may see in Canada.
The forum is a great place to ask any questions about anything you may see.There seems to be some very knowledgeable peeps on there who really do know there stuff.
I pop in when i've had some weird bird in my garden and I get some great advice.
Have a good look in there forum on the picture's there, some great snowy owls on at the mo.

Hope you find it interesting, (hope I am allowed to put that link)

Minihaha
Old Dec 17th 2006, 6:05 am
mañana is my busiest day

oceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Linda P
I have to agree.....I don't miss it at all, I would much rather visit any of the beautiful lakes in the Rockies!!!!

oceanMDX ......I think I could miss that!!

Linda
Then here's another one that I just took today. Believe it or not, he guy in the photo is fishing. Can you see his fishing line?
Attached Thumbnails Wildlife in Alberta-dsc02422.jpg  
Old Dec 17th 2006, 5:56 pm
Just Joined

ontres has a spectacular aura aboutontres has a spectacular aura aboutontres has a spectacular aura about

Hi. The moderator has just informed me that I had a reply from you recently, but I can't find it (clicking the Brit Expat address for it, given in the email doesn't work for me for some reason). I had made a short comment to someone about a Brit complainer, but can't find that either - you may guess that my computing skills are an embarrassing shortcoming!

Secondly, in your marlin trophy photo is the name 'Loreto'. I was surprised, because in the early '50's I worked as a seaman on a ship called 'Barbeta', which prior to being sold to Motor Lines had been named 'Loreto', a word I have not seen until now! (I did not stay at sea, except when it comes to computing!).

And I totally agree about the caribou's speed.
Old Dec 17th 2006, 11:48 pm
mañana is my busiest day

Originally Posted by ontres
Hi. The moderator has just informed me that I had a reply from you recently, but I can't find it (clicking the Brit Expat address for it, given in the email doesn't work for me for some reason).
Not that I know of....

Secondly, in your marlin trophy photo is the name 'Loreto'.
No, the photo taken in Loreto shows yellowtails, the marlin was caught near Cabo San Lucas.

Anyway here are two photos for you. You can make a lot of tuna sandwiches from the first one (yellowfin tuna), and the second photo shows a "flying fish" we used as bait while kite fishing for tuna a few hundred miles off shore.
Attached Thumbnails Wildlife in Alberta-140-pound-tunab.jpg   Wildlife in Alberta-flying-fish-3.jpg  

Last edited by oceanMDX; Dec 17th 2006 at 11:51 pm.
Old Dec 18th 2006, 12:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Linda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by oceanMDX
Then here's another one that I just took today. Believe it or not, he guy in the photo is fishing. Can you see his fishing line?

Wow......those rocks don't look real!!!!!

and I'm glad you explained what the guy is doing

Linda
Old Dec 18th 2006, 12:13 am
mañana is my busiest day

Anyway, Alberta certainly has osprey.... one used to steal rainbow trout out of my lake. Alberta also has great blue herons - those also stole trout... I just took these photos of an osprey (has a fish) and a great blue heron today at the estuary at San Jose Del Cabo:
Attached Thumbnails Wildlife in Alberta-dsc02477.jpg   Wildlife in Alberta-dsc02460.jpg   Wildlife in Alberta-dsc02500.jpg   Wildlife in Alberta-dsc02508.jpg   Wildlife in Alberta-dsc02508.jpg  

Last edited by oceanMDX; Dec 18th 2006 at 1:35 am.
Old Dec 18th 2006, 3:23 am
mañana is my busiest day

The "parkland" area of Alberta has Plains Bison (Elk Island Park). I used the ones in the photos to mow my lawn. You may also see the odd pheasant in the parkland, although they are more common in southern Alberta.
Attached Thumbnails Wildlife in Alberta-bull-plains-bison.jpg   Wildlife in Alberta-baby-bison-mother.jpg   Wildlife in Alberta-pheasant-side-view-.jpg   Wildlife in Alberta-back-view-pheasant.jpg  
Old Dec 18th 2006, 8:57 am
Ontario

Sutherlands is a splendid one to beholdSutherlands is a splendid one to beholdSutherlands is a splendid one to beholdSutherlands is a splendid one to beholdSutherlands is a splendid one to beholdSutherlands is a splendid one to beholdSutherlands is a splendid one to beholdSutherlands is a splendid one to beholdSutherlands is a splendid one to beholdSutherlands is a splendid one to beholdSutherlands is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by minihaha
www.weaselhead.org.

This is a great site for finding out about all wildlife you may see in Canada.
The forum is a great place to ask any questions about anything you may see.There seems to be some very knowledgeable peeps on there who really do know there stuff.
I pop in when i've had some weird bird in my garden and I get some great advice.
Have a good look in there forum on the picture's there, some great snowy owls on at the mo.

Hope you find it interesting, (hope I am allowed to put that link)

Minihaha
Great Link, This was one of our concerns with moving over to Canada, we have brought our kids up being able to name just about every animal/bird in the UK, and would feel at a loss as not to name an animal/bird to them if asked.. We are all avid animal loves and not a wildlife programme gets past us. We are so looking forward to exploring our new environment.
Old Dec 19th 2006, 2:30 am
Calgary Police

Tickets is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm not sure about the area close to Edmonton but there are a lot of coyotes in Alberta. They are coming into the cities because their natural habitat is disappearing to development. Also, there are bears, more towards the provincial parks. They also wander outside their expected territory, for the same reason. There are some deer and elk, etc. We've had some deer show up in Calgary; I don't know if they go into Edmonton. You'll also find the odd skunk, beaver, wild birds. You see them squished on the highways because they don't understand that they aren't supposed to be on the roads.

Alberta is (in)famous for having no rats in the province, if that makes you feel any better. I've also got a couple of not very tame cats in my house, if you want to come down here and look at them.

Tickets

Originally Posted by Sarahad
Hi I am sure this has been covered before but I have done some searches and cant find what I am looking for.

Can anyone tell me what kind of wildlife we can expect in Alberta. We are currently in an apartment in Edmonton but we are moving to parkland country in Jan.

So far we have only seen dead animals at the side of the road! Deer and what we thought were wolves as they looked pretty big, but I have been told that there are no wolves in Alberta?! although I thought there were, and that they are actually coyotes that we have seen.

Can anyone let me know what wildlife is around us???

Thanks
Old Dec 19th 2006, 12:15 pm
mañana is my busiest day

Originally Posted by Tickets
I'm not sure about the area close to Edmonton but there are a lot of coyotes in Alberta. They are coming into the cities because their natural habitat is disappearing to development.
It's true that there is lots of development in and around Calgary, but it certainly isn't true that that has caused a lack of natural habitat for coyotes. Coyotes go into Calgary because food is readily available there for them (little doggies, cats, rabbits, garbage etc.). It can be slim pickins out in the country for even a wily coyote, so why not become a well-fed city slicker and enjoy the additional benefit of living in a heat island (urban heating) during the winter? Unlike the humans in the country, those of the city won't take pot shots at you either - they may as well roll out the welcome mat.
Old Mar 3rd 2007, 2:09 am
Just Joined

bclynes is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all,

We are 10 mins north of Stony Plain on an acerage and we have la fair few white tailed deer and some moose wandering through the garden - Just before Christmas, two coyotes took down a young deer in the garden and that was like the Serengeti with the different predators waiting their turn! We didn't have to feed the dogs for days!

Brian
Old Mar 3rd 2007, 6:39 am
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bclynes
Hi all,

We are 10 mins north of Stony Plain on an acerage and we have la fair few white tailed deer and some moose wandering through the garden - Just before Christmas, two coyotes took down a young deer in the garden and that was like the Serengeti with the different predators waiting their turn! We didn't have to feed the dogs for days!

Brian
Firstly, thankyou for sharing but eughhhh!

Secondly, where have you been since 19th December when the last post was made!
Old Mar 3rd 2007, 2:54 pm
Just Joined

bclynes is an unknown quantity at this point

We ended up with three frozen hooves in a bucket on our deck for a while

I have been too afraid to post in case the coyotes get me.

B

PS Coyotes round here are internet savvy!