Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Wildlife in Alberta

Wildlife in Alberta

Old Dec 15th 2006, 12:36 am
sticky beaking

R2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Wildlife in Alberta

Originally Posted by Linda P
We saw a bear in 2002 on holiday here for 2 weeks.

Where was he on holiday from????

Sorry couldn't help myself .......

Linda

Too quick for me tonight M'dear .....................
I spose it does read like that doesn't it. !!!
Old Dec 15th 2006, 12:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Sarahad is a splendid one to beholdSarahad is a splendid one to beholdSarahad is a splendid one to beholdSarahad is a splendid one to beholdSarahad is a splendid one to beholdSarahad is a splendid one to beholdSarahad is a splendid one to beholdSarahad is a splendid one to beholdSarahad is a splendid one to beholdSarahad is a splendid one to beholdSarahad is a splendid one to behold

Thanks for the replies.

Its just there is a forest directly behind the house we are buying and currently there is no fence round our garden and I have a 3 year old! Was just wondering what we should expect.
Old Dec 15th 2006, 12:47 am
sticky beaking

R2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Sarahad
Thanks for the replies.

Its just there is a forest directly behind the house we are buying and currently there is no fence round our garden and I have a 3 year old! Was just wondering what we should expect.

Wheres the house Sarah?
Spruce Grove? Stoney Plain? out in the sticks ?
How you liking it so far BTW ?
Old Dec 15th 2006, 12:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Sarahad is a splendid one to beholdSarahad is a splendid one to beholdSarahad is a splendid one to beholdSarahad is a splendid one to beholdSarahad is a splendid one to beholdSarahad is a splendid one to beholdSarahad is a splendid one to beholdSarahad is a splendid one to beholdSarahad is a splendid one to beholdSarahad is a splendid one to beholdSarahad is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by R2D2
Wheres the house Sarah?
Spruce Grove? Stoney Plain? out in the sticks ?
How you liking it so far BTW ?
Luvin it so far although still early days!! We have both sorted cars today so happy about that.
The house is in Wabamun which is a lil further out from stony plain, wabamun lake and provincial park is there, and it is just forest behind our house.
Old Dec 15th 2006, 12:54 am
sticky beaking

Luvin it so far although still early days!! We have both sorted cars today so happy about that.
The house is in Wabamun which is a lil further out from stony plain, wabamun lake and provincial park is there, and it is just forest behind our house.
Sounds lovely. Good for you guys. I remember you said you wanted semi-rural living and you got it. That's great. A lot closer to Jasper from that end of the city too. Takes us half an hour + just to cross from Sh Pk to Stoney. !
Old Dec 15th 2006, 2:21 am
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

I think if it were me, I'd want to put a fence around that garden, or make sure my 3 yr old were not playing out there alone.

I expect the risk of being attacked by a coyote or even a bear would be really small, but not one I'd wish to contemplate personally. There was a recent incident of a boy being attacked by coyotes, but I think he was on a reserve somewhere, so probably more rural ..... However, coyotes frequent the city here even in Calgary, like urban foxes.

I just found stories of attacks in Edmonton on Google:

http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&rl...G=Search&meta=

edit: my mistake.... the boy who was killed on the reserve was attacked by a pack of starving dogs!

further edit: Not wishing to scare-monger .... I'm sure the risk is pretty small and attacks are unusual .... but I'd still invest in a fenced off play area if I had a small child!

Last edited by Alberta_Rose; Dec 15th 2006 at 2:30 am.
Old Dec 15th 2006, 3:28 am
mañana is my busiest day

oceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to behold

I would expect that your area would have both coyotes and black bears. The bear density would be rather low, but you will have the odd one pass through that area. You should see deer, especially whitetails, but you may also have mule deer and perhaps the odd moose. No elk or wolves though.

You can see you are near the edge of the black bear range in Alberta:

http://www.cd.gov.ab.ca/enjoying_alb...20brochure.pdf

Last edited by oceanMDX; Dec 15th 2006 at 3:34 am.
Old Dec 15th 2006, 4:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks for that! Yeah I will deffinately be getting the back garden fenced, as there is not only the risk of wild animals but also running off and getting lost in the forest that would worry me!! I also have another on the way, so will deffinately be fencing it off!
Old Dec 15th 2006, 5:21 pm
mañana is my busiest day

oceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to behold

Thanks for that! Yeah I will deffinately be getting the back garden fenced, as there is not only the risk of wild animals but also running off and getting lost in the forest that would worry me!! I also have another on the way, so will deffinately be fencing it off!
I would suggest that you drop into you local Alberta Conservation office, and talk to an officer (or a game warden) about your concerns and ask them about bears and coyotes in your area.

I want you to understand that is it very, very rare for a coyote or a black bear to be aggressive toward a human.... they normally freak out and run away when they see or smell a human in the area.
Old Dec 15th 2006, 5:56 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by oceanMDX
I'm more interested in the fish of Mexico as you can see:
Either you are a very small person, or those are very big sardines in that photo.
Old Dec 15th 2006, 6:56 pm
mañana is my busiest day

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Either you are a very small person, or those are very big sardines in that photo.
LOL.... the fish in the first photo are yellowtails... the other photo shows a striped marlin.... and I weigh 205 pounds +.
Old Dec 15th 2006, 10:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Linda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond repute

You lucky things......we had our winter camp last year at Wabamun....it's beautiful there!!!!

Linda
Attached Thumbnails Wildlife in Alberta-100_0791.jpg  
Old Dec 15th 2006, 10:51 pm
mañana is my busiest day

Nice photo; I almost forgot what snow looked like.
Old Dec 16th 2006, 2:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Linda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by oceanMDX
Nice photo; I almost forgot what snow looked like.

I can't remember what the sea looks like!!!!!

Linda
Old Dec 16th 2006, 2:31 pm
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Linda P
I can't remember what the sea looks like!!!!!

Linda
Shingle beach, stinky seaweed ...... I can't say I miss our particular brand of sea!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.