Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Why move to Canada?

Why move to Canada?

Old Feb 20th 2010, 12:54 am

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Why move to Canada?

Originally Posted by blue monday
A recent survey into where expats go had Oz as the most popular, Canada the second most popular and Third - well it wasn't uncle sams country it was Thailand. There are plenty of places i'd rather live than America and it appears im not alone.
But how much of that is influenced where they are able to move to? Sure more Brits go to OZ, but is it more of a case its easier to get into and get recognition for qualifications? I suspect it is.
Old Feb 20th 2010, 12:55 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Lots of British live in the US and Canada and many prefer their location to others. When Australians visit either Britain, Canada or the US they can go back and say they liked it. Its only when other people decide to go there as well but can't reside that they have difficulties adjusting to their own lives. In general when Canadians do go, they will often stay put because that's what expected of them. If New Zealanders go, its because they sometimes lack the wherewithal to hold the heads up high at the end of the day. None of its an ideal situation but it's something in which you can adjust.
Old Feb 20th 2010, 12:56 am

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
But this is just transient. You should put a penny aside for a rainy day and not live only in the moment but embrace the sweep of history.
we've had mostly nice weather since the beginning of dec. Winter is MIA. Feb has been more like april.

Supposed to be 15 degrees tomorrow.
Old Feb 20th 2010, 12:57 am
Forum Regular

blue monday is a name known to allblue monday is a name known to allblue monday is a name known to allblue monday is a name known to allblue monday is a name known to allblue monday is a name known to allblue monday is a name known to allblue monday is a name known to allblue monday is a name known to allblue monday is a name known to allblue monday is a name known to all

Originally Posted by chrisfromusa
Regarding your points:

1. I've noticed for many their first choice is the U.S. (mainly Florida, Texas, Arizona, Nevada, and California aka the sunbelt and tropics) then they find out they can't move here because their education is not enough/not readily recognized and a Canadian has higher priority over a job position than a Brit (not counting Americans and immigrants already living here, again mostly due to education. Employers prefer Canadian graduates). If that doesn't work, then Australia (mostly Perth, Queensland and Sydney), and then Canada. So basically form many many many responses I've met in the forums, Brits US and Australia bound mostly do it for climate-related reasons, however Brits Canada bound seem to do it for fondness of Canada (I don't think it's a bad place at all, I think it's better than here even)

2. Yeah but only conservative Americans think that we're being overrun by immigrants. The liberals think there isn't enough

Shut it
Originally Posted by dboy
But how much of that is influenced where they are able to move to? Sure more Brits go to OZ, but is it more of a case its easier to get into and get recognition for qualifications? I suspect it is.
Why do Americans and those who live there have this misconception that everyone wants to be an American, that's one reason im not a big fan of America.
Old Feb 20th 2010, 12:58 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

we've had mostly nice weather since the beginning of dec. Winter is MIA. Feb has been more like april.

Supposed to be 15 degrees tomorrow.
I went out fishing yesterday late afternoon and it was warm enough to wear just a light jacket. Maybe the rye and cokes might of helped though.
Old Feb 20th 2010, 12:59 am
BE Enthusiast

chrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond repute

A recent survey into where expats go had Oz as the most popular, Canada the second most popular and Third - well it wasn't uncle sams country it was Thailand. There are plenty of places i'd rather live than America and it appears im not alone.
Don't know why people wanna come live here anyway. We have so many problems it's ridiculous, and it's a myth that it's cheaper to live here, exchange rates mean a whole lot of nothing. I can understand Thailand, your retirement funds would probably go a lot further there, though I prefer Mexico imo.
Old Feb 20th 2010, 12:59 am

Why do Americans and those who live there have this misconception that everyone wants to be an American, that's one reason im not a big fan of America.
This delusional attitude is the only way they can look at themselves in the mirror.
Old Feb 20th 2010, 1:01 am
BE Enthusiast

chrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond repute

Why is it that Brits see patriotism as something equated to having your head buried in the sand? You know it IS possible to love your country, yes even Brits can love their own country too
Old Feb 20th 2010, 1:03 am
Forum Regular

blue monday is a name known to allblue monday is a name known to allblue monday is a name known to allblue monday is a name known to allblue monday is a name known to allblue monday is a name known to allblue monday is a name known to allblue monday is a name known to allblue monday is a name known to allblue monday is a name known to allblue monday is a name known to all

Thailand is a great place and as you say your money goes a ong way there too. Mexico is somewhere i've yet to visit but it is on my list of places i want to go to. May even be able to make some use of my Spanish, although i believe Latin American Spanish is slightly different to European Spanish, Just like American, Australian and Canadian English etc I guess.
Old Feb 20th 2010, 1:06 am
Forum Regular

Why is it that Brits see patriotism as something equated to having your head buried in the sand? You know it IS possible to love your country, yes even Brits can love their own country too
Have to be honest that is one thing about the US is Americans are proud to be American, waiving the flag, swearing allegiance every morning at school etc, but over in the UK we can't be seen to waive the flag as it can been seen as offensive to ethnic minorities etc etc and practically no one can sing the national anthem! Thats prob a big reason why so many of us can't wait to leave the place, no pride in being British anymore.
Old Feb 20th 2010, 1:07 am

Its because it’s a country full of chavs that have no respect for their country or its value systems. It's all very well supporting your football team but if you do wear your heart on your sleeve why is it always Burberry?
Old Feb 20th 2010, 1:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Have to be honest that is one thing about the US is Americans are proud to be American, waiving the flag, swearing allegiance every morning at school etc, but over in the UK we can't be seen to waive the flag as it can been seen as offensive to ethnic minorities etc etc. Thats prob a big reason why so many of us can't wait to leave the place.
That's what I don't understand, as an American anyway. Why would waving the Union Jack about or St. George's Cross be offensive, latter being illegal last I heard?? A people can't wprry so much about ethnic minorities, then everyone will have a huge headache by the end of the day. Though ym British girlfriend does say the same thing, and is quite sick of it as well, she feels that she's treated like a 2nd class citizen because she's English.

Thailand is a great place and as you say your money goes a ong way there too. Mexico is somewhere i've yet to visit but it is on my list of places i want to go to. May even be able to make some use of my Spanish, although i believe Latin American Spanish is slightly different to European Spanish, Just like American, Australian and Canadian English etc I guess.
I'll have you know, I'm from Latin America and I can understand people from Spain (great news for you) plus Mexican Spanish is the easiest to understand out of ALL of them, so I think you might have an easier time getting used to Mexican Spanish. Plus cost of living is very cheap in Mexico, if you're drawing directly from your retirement (in sterling or dollars) every month. Don't know the exchange rate in pounds but US$1 is MX$12

Last edited by chrisfromusa; Feb 20th 2010 at 1:11 am.
Old Feb 20th 2010, 1:23 am

Originally Posted by Oink
I went out fishing yesterday late afternoon and it was warm enough to wear just a light jacket. Maybe the rye and cokes might of helped though.
its been perfect weather. Vancouver sure is an amazing places on days like this. It still blows me away even after 17 years.
Old Feb 20th 2010, 1:30 am

its been perfect weather. Vancouver sure is an amazing places on days like this. It still blows me away even after 17 years.
It even warm enough to sit out on the dock drink beer and cook our crabs. Luckily I live within walking distance to the marina.
Old Feb 20th 2010, 1:44 am
Just Joined

blue mondays girl is an unknown quantity at this point

I've just read this entire thread. After realizing that I'll never get that hour of my life back, I feel the need to add my two cents...

Is Canada a perfect country? Absolutely not. Show me one that is! We have problems just as with any other multi-cultural society, or any society, for that matter.

When I was growing up and going to school (80's and 90's), our differences were celebrated. We were educated of other peoples home lands, learned their traditions, tried their food...etc. I work in an environment with no less than 10 visible and non-visible minorities. My own being a non-visible one.

Are there immigrant Canadians who don't pull their weight and abuse the system? For sure. But I know just as many (if not more) 'cradle' Canadians who do.

For some reason Canadians have earned a reputation of being the "gosh, golly, gee we're so nice and polite" country in the world. I can think of worse things to be known for. Trust me, we're not all like that.

Canada is not the place for everyone. And if it's not for you, tough it out til November and then go wherever life takes you. But really, for the next few months, there could be much worse places to spend your time, no?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.