Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Why move to Canada?

Why move to Canada?

Old Oct 31st 2004, 10:39 am
Just going for Holidays

liftman is a jewel in the roughliftman is a jewel in the roughliftman is a jewel in the roughliftman is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Why move to Canada?

Originally Posted by Glaswegian

... it can be as warm as a summer's day in Glasgow on Christmas Day.
You do not seem to be really "selling" Calgary here Glas!
Old Oct 31st 2004, 3:43 pm
Glaswegian

Originally Posted by liftman
You do not seem to be really "selling" Calgary here Glas!
Depends on your interpretation ... I like sunny 20 degree days in the middle of winter ... get the shorts on, dust off the barbecue and I'm as happy as a pig in...

I'm not trying to sell Calgary to anyone and I'm not trying to put anyone off ... I'm just trying to be as honestly informative as I can.

Old Oct 31st 2004, 3:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation

Depends on your interpretation ... I like sunny 20 degree days in the middle of winter ... get the shorts on, dust off the barbecue and I'm as happy as a pig in...

I'm not trying to sell Calgary to anyone and I'm not trying to put anyone off ... I'm just trying to be as honestly informative as I can.
Hey - how did the first league game go today......is there going to be a celebration in the McGrouch household......?
Old Oct 31st 2004, 3:55 pm
Glaswegian

Originally Posted by IckleHelen
To be honest, we are thinking about Calgary (and that is what we are going to put on the application form). But of course will go where the work is.
I like Calgary ... the weather makes it "interesting"

I landed in Toronto and didn't really like Ontario ... it's personal choice and that wasn't a request for a barrage of "I love Ontario" messages.

I looked at Vancouver, didn't like the house prices or weather and I hate long commutes ... again it's personal choice and that wasn't a request for a barrage of "I love BC" messages either.

Alberta is nice, big and empty ... it still retains a lot of the feel of being on the edge of Canadian wilderness. Apart from proximity to the Rockies, there isn't that much to choose between Edmonton and Calgary ... they're both nice cities with a lot more to do than you would get in any UK city. In terms of greenness, Edmonton has a huge park that cuts through the centre of the city, Calgary has one that cuts through the south of the city ... there really isn't that much difference between them.

There are places that are more scenic and have way better weather than Calgary, but, most people have got to get a job somewhere - in the end that controls where you get to live.

Trying to choose a destination from the UK isn't easy ... just don't spend too much straightaway when you get here ... keep your cash safe and decide where you're going to settle once you get your feet wet in Canada.

Old Oct 31st 2004, 4:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

[QUOTE=Glaswegian]I looked at Vancouver, didn't like the house prices or weather and I hate long commutes ... again it's personal choice and that wasn't a request for a barrage of "I love BC" messages either.

Ah.....come one...I know you want to hear just one....today we have blue sky, sunshine and a beautiful clear but cool day......tempting?

QUOTE]
Old Oct 31st 2004, 4:34 pm
Glaswegian

Originally Posted by willmore
Hey - how did the first league game go today......is there going to be a celebration in the McGrouch household......?
The game isn't for 3 hours ... still trying to decide what to do tonight.

Seen Shark Tale yet?? Can't decide if we should go to see that or hold on for the Incredibles next weekend.

Old Oct 31st 2004, 4:37 pm
Glaswegian

Ah.....come one...I know you want to hear just one....today we have blue sky, sunshine and a beautiful clear but cool day......tempting?
It's 0C and sunny here ... wouldn't swap that for BC right now.

Now if California joined Canada ... that would be a different issue.

Old Oct 31st 2004, 4:40 pm
Moved from Chester UK

IckleHelen is just really niceIckleHelen is just really niceIckleHelen is just really niceIckleHelen is just really niceIckleHelen is just really niceIckleHelen is just really niceIckleHelen is just really niceIckleHelen is just really niceIckleHelen is just really niceIckleHelen is just really nice

Seen Shark Tale yet?? Can't decide if we should go to see that or hold on for the Incredibles next weekend.
We saw Sharks Tale a few weeks ago. Thought it was alright, but not anywhere near as good as Sherk or the other Pixar films. Personally my parner and I are both looking forward to the Incredibles, I hear is aimed more a 7 yrs to adult (at Least that's what Richard and Judy said this Week!)
Old Oct 31st 2004, 4:43 pm
Glaswegian

Originally Posted by IckleHelen
We saw Sharks Tale a few weeks ago. Thought it was alright, but not anywhere near as good as Sherk or the other Pixar films. Personally my parner and I are both looking forward to the Incredibles, I hear is aimed more a 7 yrs to adult (at Least that's what Richard and Judy said this Week!)
40 bucks to go and see a movie that's just alright isn't really justified ... we'll wait until it's out on video.

Still go to find somewhere to go to avoid Halloween ....

Old Oct 31st 2004, 4:46 pm
Velouria

40 bucks to go and see a movie that's just alright isn't really justified ... we'll wait until it's out on video.

I was just going to say that! Movies are expensive here... wait until they come out on video (or get someone in your family to work for Blockbuster and get free rentals!)

Ha - you can use our flat while I introduce hubby to his first real Halloween at my aunt's place. Apparently the kids dont ring apartments

Old Oct 31st 2004, 4:49 pm
Glaswegian

Originally Posted by Velouria
Ha - you can use our flat while I introduce hubby to his first real Halloween at my aunt's place. Apparently the kids dont ring apartments
We lived in an apartment during our first Halloween and din't get a single kid at the door.

The other message is to turn your outside lights off ... it's code for "don't ring my doorbell".

Old Oct 31st 2004, 4:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sorry....thought these games were played early in the morning.

I haven't personally seen Shark Tale yet....but my husband, little guy and others went and absolutely loved it....it's a real family movie.

Haven't heard of the Incredibles yet? Is it a si-fi type movie? The boys might like it better perhaps?
Old Oct 31st 2004, 4:52 pm
Velouria

We lived in an apartment during our first Halloween and din't get a single kid at the door.

The other message is to turn your outside lights off ... it's code for "don't ring my doorbell".
Yes thats what my aunt said last night. She has a certain number of candies to give out - after that - the lights go out!

Old Oct 31st 2004, 4:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sounds like a wise move....it really depends from what I understand on the age group of the kids.....these were really young kids and that's probably why they enjoyed it......

But 40 bucks.......wow
Old Oct 31st 2004, 4:58 pm
Glaswegian

Sorry....thought these games were played early in the morning.
Games can be any time from 6:30am to 7:00pm ... you'd think it was a bit rough on the little guys, but they seem to love it.

I haven't personally seen Shark Tale yet....but my husband, little guy and others went and absolutely loved it....it's a real family movie.
It didn't get a great write up ... we don't go very often.

Haven't heard of the Incredibles yet? Is it a si-fi type movie? The boys might like it better perhaps?
It's the latest from Pixar ... if you've managed to miss it, you've been spending too much time hanging around tidal pools

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.