Reload this Page >

why go why stay

why go why stay

Old Oct 28th 2010, 8:01 am
Forum Regular

JENNYMG is an unknown quantity at this point
Default why go why stay

apologies if there are other threads
but i wondered if those who have moved to canada or are in the process of moving can elaborate on why they decided to leave the UK and move to canada.

being from northern ireland i would argue a multitude of reasons for getting out of here but my husband is convinced the grass is just greener.

so what say you guys that have done it?

thanks

jennifer
Old Oct 28th 2010, 8:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Elaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: why go why stay

Originally Posted by JENNYMG
but i wondered if those who have moved to canada or are in the process of moving can elaborate on why they decided to leave the UK and move to canada.

being from northern ireland i would argue a multitude of reasons for getting out of here but my husband is convinced the grass is just greener.

thanks

jennifer
Hi Jennifer

I moved to Canada because my OH is Canadian and I thought anywhere would be better than living in Northern Ireland but I'd say at the end of the day, to use a tired old phrase it's "same crap different bucket'. After 8 years in Canada we moved back home and realised it's not such a bad wee place and it's great to have family around again. Still glad we gave it a go
Old Oct 28th 2010, 11:52 am
Just Joined

kirkio is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JENNYMG

thanks

jennifer
Hi Jennifer, I moved to Canada as I have always wanted to experience life in another culture and work in another country. Luckily my employer were able to transfer me on a 3yr work permit. So if it doesnt work out i will return. It is really tough adapting to the new life, Taxes are really high and food is really expensive along with Car Insurance, rent etc dont believe the 'it is the cheapest place in the world to live baloney', however it is not all about money, its about a better work life balance and hopefully better opportunities for the children, but who knows, I think it is what you make of it, positive thinking and a positive outlook. Everywhere has its downsides, you have just gotta think of why you want to do it and what you are letting go of in the UK. Do you have a lot of family support back home? you will have none here.... weigh it all up, dont make the decision lightly and do whats best for the family in the long term... its a great experience and you are not stuck here, it is'nt prison! Flights run everyday! Good Luck
Old Oct 28th 2010, 12:46 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Big suitcase full of cash in my case was enough to get me to come to Canada. The relaxed lifestyle keeps me here.

There was a thread like this about a week ago IIRC...
Old Oct 28th 2010, 12:51 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
There was a thread like this about a week ago IIRC...
What you mean't to say is 'There is a thread like this every week......'

In short, 'For the children, Bigger House, Sex and endless fiddle music.' are the reasons I moved. YMMV.
Old Oct 28th 2010, 1:22 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
What you mean't to say is 'There is a thread like this every week......'

In short, 'For the children, Bigger House, Sex and endless fiddle music.' are the reasons I moved. YMMV.
Well, yeah...

This was the one I was thinking of...
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=688673

Last edited by iaink; Oct 28th 2010 at 1:24 pm.
Old Oct 28th 2010, 1:27 pm
Peter Darwin

pdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond repute

I think like your husband - the grass is always greener somewhere else. I don't think I'll be fully satisfied wherever I live, and keep thinking about moving again, but my wife says no, that's it now, after moving around different places in Europe she is happy in Canada , so I'm not going to fight it too much now.
It's also very expensive to keep moving about - in more ways than one.

We had no ties to Canada before we came though we have no kids, so it was easy for us just to up sticks and move, but at the end of the day you're still getting out of bed in the morning, going to work, struggling with the bills - that will be the same wherever you live.
It's the big things like family leave behind you mostly have to consider.
Old Oct 28th 2010, 2:05 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

The grass isn't greener

its just slightly different shade of green.
Old Oct 28th 2010, 2:09 pm
Peter Darwin

pdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MikeUK
The grass isn't greener

its just slightly different shade of green.
And covered with snow 5 months of the year.
Old Oct 28th 2010, 2:11 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

You will also get a lot of strong opinions on here.

Many will still be adjusting to their move and have very strong narrow opinions as to why they moved.

Most of these are to justify the big expense, time and effort invested. Nobody wants to spend thousands of pounds, mountains of paperwork, years of waiting, all the packing and selling, just to find out its the same old same old but with new labels and a new view…
Old Oct 28th 2010, 2:35 pm
Bristolish expat

Location: Bristol ~ Nanaimo, BC ... It's a bit like Salem's Lot!!
bananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pdarwin
& fertilised with bulls*it
Old Oct 28th 2010, 8:05 pm
Forum Regular

edwinslad has a brilliant futureedwinslad has a brilliant futureedwinslad has a brilliant futureedwinslad has a brilliant futureedwinslad has a brilliant futureedwinslad has a brilliant futureedwinslad has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by pdarwin
In Ottawa for sure, but not in Nova Scotia!
Old Oct 29th 2010, 4:41 pm
Recruiter Extraordinaire

Tigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond repute

I was lucky in that I have Dual Citizenship, and also have no kids or husband! So thought why not, and have never looked back. I love living in Vancouver and am very happy I came here, I didn't leave the UK because I hated it. But needed a fresh start and an adventure!

I'm of the opinion that I'd rather try something and regret it (yet still have the experience) than always wonder "what if". But then there's only me and the cat to think about
Old Oct 29th 2010, 5:10 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tigger1
I'm of the opinion that I'd rather try something and regret it (yet still have the experience) than always wonder "what if". But then there's only me and the cat to think about
I often wonder about this saying. Surely it's impossible to live this way because it would work both ways.
Old Oct 29th 2010, 5:16 pm
The Dude Abides

theotherlebowski has a reputation beyond reputetheotherlebowski has a reputation beyond reputetheotherlebowski has a reputation beyond reputetheotherlebowski has a reputation beyond reputetheotherlebowski has a reputation beyond reputetheotherlebowski has a reputation beyond reputetheotherlebowski has a reputation beyond reputetheotherlebowski has a reputation beyond reputetheotherlebowski has a reputation beyond reputetheotherlebowski has a reputation beyond reputetheotherlebowski has a reputation beyond repute

i'm planning my move out there at the moment. for me it's about a lifestyle thing: i'm really laid back but prone to getting quite down about things and i want to live and work somewhere that's relaxed and beautiful; i also want to be somewhere that has a beach at the end of it for those "stressful" days at work.

i've found of late that the UK is a fundamentally negative place (even more so now the tories are back in) and that people are just waiting for the next opportunity to delight in the failure of someone else. I want things for my life that the UK just doesn't offer me: relaxed lifestyle, career oppertunites based on merit and talent in a less crowded market, great food (wild salmon steaks ) proximity to epic scenery and ocean views, a thriving arts and creative community.

the UK is a tiny island with too many people on it competing for too few jobs; there's no real sense of "pursue your dreams and you can achieve anything", more a sense of "pursue your dreams and then come back and meet me in the dole office with the rest of us". i will miss the british sense of humour and some of the TV but as long as the internet is there and sneaky people figure out ways of streaming signals i'll be happy enough.

canada is a place that's pregnant with possibilities for a chap like me, i just need to get there...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.