Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Why don't my family seem to care?

Why don't my family seem to care?

Old Sep 18th 2011, 7:46 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why don't my family seem to care?

I suspect el_richo isight, they are just grieving your loss but in a way that you can't understand.

I know that when we went my mother (who I am incredibly close to, she's one of my best friends and I speak to her every day) just changed the subject every time I mentioned moving or anything to do with it. She did this right up until when we went and freely admitted afterwards that she just couldn't deal with it, so basically pretended it wasn't happening. Maybe yours are doing the same?
Old Sep 18th 2011, 8:09 am
Forum Regular

justme31170 is just really nicejustme31170 is just really nicejustme31170 is just really nicejustme31170 is just really nicejustme31170 is just really nicejustme31170 is just really nicejustme31170 is just really nicejustme31170 is just really nice

I'm not going to give any advice because I have no idea what's ahead of me and I just might be in the same position.

I really do feel for you and totally understand why you are hurting.

Just do what is right for you, whether that is going to see them or not going to see them but a massive good luck in whatever you decide.
Old Sep 18th 2011, 8:18 am
Island life at last

helcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond repute

I must admit that there has been a bit of a change since this all began.
We went up there when my OH left and it was all very jolly and nice - all got together, had a meal and I felt they really supported what he was doing.

As I have been alone for longer and struggling with things like decorating and packing up our stuff to ship, my Mum has contacted me by Skype more than before but whenever I suggest seeing her she is very reluctant indeed.
My sister hasn't telephoned/skyped at all unless my Mum has been there.
She has come to see me once, but to bring my mum, not alone.

I just do not know what to make of it.
My mum has a brother in Canada and so she knows what it is like to have family abroad. I would have thought she would be able to show some affection for me in my last few days here.
Going to the airport alone is especially hurtful - maybe that is just me being sentimental

I am actually more upset than I thought I would be by this but then you never know what you are going to feel until the time comes, I suppose.

Everyone's comments have been very helpful and have offered me some perspective on this so thank you all very much indeed for being so kind and candid.

When I get to my husband and cats again everything will be alright.
Old Sep 18th 2011, 8:30 am
Forum Regular

Location: Sheffield UK - Victoria BC bound (one day, in a galaxy far, far away...)
witchileiz is a jewel in the roughwitchileiz is a jewel in the roughwitchileiz is a jewel in the roughwitchileiz is a jewel in the roughwitchileiz is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by helcat12
I must admit that there has been a bit of a change since this all began.
We went up there when my OH left and it was all very jolly and nice - all got together, had a meal and I felt they really supported what he was doing.

As I have been alone for longer and struggling with things like decorating and packing up our stuff to ship, my Mum has contacted me by Skype more than before but whenever I suggest seeing her she is very reluctant indeed.
My sister hasn't telephoned/skyped at all unless my Mum has been there.
She has come to see me once, but to bring my mum, not alone.

I just do not know what to make of it.
My mum has a brother in Canada and so she knows what it is like to have family abroad. I would have thought she would be able to show some affection for me in my last few days here.
Going to the airport alone is especially hurtful - maybe that is just me being sentimental

I am actually more upset than I thought I would be by this but then you never know what you are going to feel until the time comes, I suppose.

Everyone's comments have been very helpful and have offered me some perspective on this so thank you all very much indeed for being so kind and candid.

When I get to my husband and cats again everything will be alright.
Hi Hellcat - I used to live in the US when I was younger - and I remember the first time I went - with family to the airport - it was absolute torture - my Mom crying as if her heart had been broken, my Dad pulling me away so I could get myself together, heaving with tears going to the gate....

After that, I used to visit every Xmas, and we made a rule to say goodbye at the Coach depot which took me down to Gatwick... The 4 hour drive gave me the chance to settle my emotions and saying goodbye at a coach station in Sheffield was strangely a little more comforting for them (maybe not the emptiness and finality you feel walking away from people in an airport. I have never left anyone in an airport myself - when family visited me in the US, I would call a taxi for them and we'd do the goodbyes at the door.

IMO it is much easier to be close to home to say goodbye...

I suspect (as others on here have said) that there is a lot of love and care from your family, they are most likely holding it in/together. It is a form of grieving in a way.

My earlier travels and living in the US never bothered me too much, though I know it hurt my parents deeply, and now we are waiting to move to Canada and taking their grand-daughter with us. Skype/internet/phones and visits, are all fantastic (and so much easier than 'when I was young'!), yet it still feels like they will never see you again.

Step in their boots for a minute and imagine what they are going through (though I am sure you have already!). I am not saying you should feel guilty (though God knows I do about our impending departure!), but accept that they have reacted oddly, but that this is more than likely a defense mechanism...

Enjoy your celebrating with your friends and a safe journey to your new life and your husband (finally!).

Good luck!
Old Sep 18th 2011, 8:52 am
Forum Regular

TheKellys5 is on a distinguished road

Helcat, you are not alone. When I told my elder brother we had got the visas, he just said "Whatever, you said you were going couple years ago. Tell me when you actually decide to go". Total contrast to my eldest brother who was excited for me. And my wife's mum (probably our closest family for both us and the kids), has said she is definitely not coming to the airport for exactly the reasons posted above! She gets upset often, especially when people keep telling her how much she will miss us and the kids. Everyone copes in different ways I guess, but you should make the effort, at least then you will know you did everything you could to make it work.
Good luck, but try not to be too hard on yourself or your family
Old Sep 18th 2011, 8:53 am
finally together...

__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute

i agree, you couldnt pay me to have rellies at the airport. it will be hard enough for the kids as it is, the last time we drive past grannys town ( we see her weekly and she will be left all alone as dh is her only child and her dh is long past) i forsee masses of tears and wailing and moaning from my son.

my mum has offered to drive us and i declined, we'd much rather get a taxi and say goodbye in dignity at home than have them drive home all upset from the airport.

i guess its a personal thing. take care {{{hugs}}}
Old Sep 18th 2011, 9:43 am
Island life at last

helcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond repute

My Mum does prefer to avoid anything difficult or confrontational.

I suppose what I am looking for is some confirmation that there actually is some familial love there and not just duty.
Maybe there is and maybe there isn't - but the time to show this would be before I go, surely.
I suppose many families would already be secure in that connection and wouldn't have to question whether it was there or not, but my case is not like that due to events from the past.

I know I can put all this behind me if I need to but I do not want to write them off if they really do love me and are just being clumsy about showing it.

I get what people are saying about airport goodbyes, having done it a couple of times with my OH this year.
I would have liked to think that they would want to see me off at the airport, even if we all decided it would be better done at home, rather than feel like it is a chore they want to avoid.

Insecurity in the love of what little family I have is at the heart of all this for me - I see that now after reading all the comments and thinking them over.

I feel that I am searching round for some sign that they are bothered, that they do care and want to make something of my last days here.
Hoping is horrible, especially if the chances of being disappointed are real.

Thanks again to everyone and I hope other people are supported when they read these posts. It seems many people have had to cope with this with differing outcomes.
Maybe for me only the next couple of weeks will tell.
Old Sep 18th 2011, 2:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

ninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by helcat12
I may be opening myself to lots of negative/ critical/sarcastic comments here, but I hope there will be some genuine ones, too.

I am due to fly to reunite with my husband after 13 months of him living and working in Canada through our PR process and only now am I able to go to be with him permanently.
I booked the flight last month.
Just so you know none of this should have come as any surprise to my family at all.

I am shocked and upset to find that my Mum and my sister seem completely unconcerned about seeing me prior to my leaving date. (My Dad died many years ago.)
I had made arrangements to go up to see them for a couple of days just before I fly and had even held off selling my car to allow me to do this, but they do not seem at all bothered.

Although there are 4 people who could drive me to the airport from her house, which my Mum originally said would be no problem, she is now saying I will need to get a taxi.
She is not even coming to see me off at the airport.
(It is not taxi fare I am moaning about, I hope you understand. I could just as easily sell my car here and get a taxi to Manchester and save myself a very long drive to my Mum's if I wasn't bothered about seeing her.)

My mum is also wanting me to take to her my flatscreen TV and a load of other things that I was going to sell but I offered them to her first and didn't mention selling them (even though we could do with every penny after keeping two households going for the last year).

So, I have been generous with my stuff and assumed that they would want to see me off and I am very willing to make the time and travel to see them (even though I am coping with clearing the house finally all on my own, which isn't easy) but now I wonder why I am bothering.
I do not know when I will be back and so my family do not know when they will see me again but they just don't seem to care at all.

I even asked my Mum if she would like to come and spend a few days with me and help me sort out my cupboards and stuff, but she told me she is looking after a neighbour's dog and so she can't.

I suppose it would be funny that I as her daughter come second to a neighbour's dog if it wasn't so sad for me.
We have never been especially close but I had thought that my leaving might generate some emotion in them as it has in me, but it seems not.

To put this in context, my husband's family all travelled from various parts of the country to ours when he came back over at Easter for a lovely family meal to celebrate together. He and his family have never been close, either, but it seems that they have been moved to draw closer to him through this struggle and it has been very good to see that. It has brought him a lot of pleasure (and me also) to see him develop a closer relationship with his parents especially.

I am considering not going to see my family now - not to be spiteful but because I think if they seem totally unconcerned when I am leaving it will hurt me a lot and in the end if they don't care, seeing that I am hurt won't achieve anything.
And no-one needs to put themselves through unnecessary hurt, do they?
I certainly don't want to after the year I have already had.

Comments from others who have perhaps experienced this or some thoughts on what I could do would be very welcome.

I feel for you, honestly.
But you can't force people to care, be happy for you etc. That's one thing I had to learn. It is your decision to move, just like it was ours.
People have different methods of dealing with parting etc. So maybe your mum is not cold hearted but doesn't want to be at the airport seeing you go. I know my hubbies mum first didn't want to go to the train station in M'cr with us but she did in the end and she always says it was so much worse to see the train leave than just say good bye at her house.
Maybe just ask your relatives directly if they don't give a sh** or why they seem to ignore the fact that you'll fly some 1000 miles away and might not see you for a while.
You might not get the answers you hope for but at least you'll know the truth and won't make assumptions anymore.
We have family in Ottawa (my hubbies cousin) who was all happy at first that she's got family here now after 20 years of being in Canada. But when we didn't want to live the way she thought was right (not go out, only have 2 kids etc. as that's what Canadians do according to her lol) she ended the contact and left us stranded and on our own. I was sad at first but you can't force someone to spend time with you and nobody is obliged to spend time with you.
Ask your mum and sis what the problem is, their answer might surprise you, then either go and see them or just meet some good friends and have a nice leaving get together.
Heads up, soon you'll be together with your husband and that's your immediate family and closest person. So look forward to the get together and smile
Old Sep 18th 2011, 2:31 pm
Island life at last

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
I know that when we went my mother (who I am incredibly close to, she's one of my best friends and I speak to her every day) just changed the subject every time I mentioned moving or anything to do with it. She did this right up until when we went and freely admitted afterwards that she just couldn't deal with it, so basically pretended it wasn't happening. Maybe yours are doing the same?
Originally Posted by ninaDGBCA
I feel for you, honestly.

Maybe just ask your relatives directly if they don't give a sh** or why they seem to ignore the fact that you'll fly some 1000 miles away and might not see you for a while.
You might not get the answers you hope for but at least you'll know the truth and won't make assumptions anymore.

Ask your mum and sis what the problem is, their answer might surprise you, then either go and see them or just meet some good friends and have a nice leaving get together.
I would like to know if they are bothered and I am not given to pussy-footing about on important matters, but not everyone likes to be asked directly or can cope with such frankness.
Sometimes people just react badly when they are asked to answer a straight-up question on sensitive matters; they have to be coaxed round to it and quite frankly, I just haven't got the time for that before I go

I would rather not ask than scare them into saying something they do not mean. If they are avoiding the subject because they are hurt, then it might upset them to think their behaviour is causing me upset as well.

I do not want all that to blow up in my face and I think it is probably best to avoid confrontation at a time when emotions might be running high.
Old Sep 18th 2011, 3:39 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Oh Hellcat, how I feel for you. I think friends and family can take one's departure as a bit of a threat actually - it sort of turns the spotlight onto the fact that they have possibly moaned about life non stop for years' but have done zero to change their situation. Are you perhaps feeling a bit more fragile than usual too, because of the lack of your husband and all the strain that you have been put under? My husband is Never here, OK he's a pilot, but is Always somewhere else when we move house, or have a family crisis, and I know will make himself very scarce for the move to Canada. Odd thing is I don't 'need' him much for anything practical, as I have got so used to sorting things out for myself, but I really rely on him to tell of my fears and fancies to - when I can tell him of the stupidities of the day and we can laugh about it, it makes all the troubles go away. When I went to the West Bank, years back, my mother refused to speak to me or say goodbye, and wouldn't respond to my letters - when I came home a year later, it was too late, as she had died. Of course I regret it, but what can one do? You DO have Skype, and that will make a difference to you both. Try to take a bit of time for a spot of 'you' time - go to your local swimming pool, or take and extra long green walk, just something to give yourself a bit of down time for an hour or so, don't JUST get caught up in your things to do list. You can't DO anything to make people treat you nicely, but you can stop yourself from feeling hurt by their actions. Very best of luck!
Old Sep 18th 2011, 4:56 pm
Island life at last

Originally Posted by MillieF
Oh Hellcat, how I feel for you. I think friends and family can take one's departure as a bit of a threat actually - it sort of turns the spotlight onto the fact that they have possibly moaned about life non stop for years' but have done zero to change their situation. Are you perhaps feeling a bit more fragile than usual too, because of the lack of your husband and all the strain that you have been put under? My husband is Never here, OK he's a pilot, but is Always somewhere else when we move house, or have a family crisis, and I know will make himself very scarce for the move to Canada. Odd thing is I don't 'need' him much for anything practical, as I have got so used to sorting things out for myself, but I really rely on him to tell of my fears and fancies to - when I can tell him of the stupidities of the day and we can laugh about it, it makes all the troubles go away. When I went to the West Bank, years back, my mother refused to speak to me or say goodbye, and wouldn't respond to my letters - when I came home a year later, it was too late, as she had died. Of course I regret it, but what can one do? You DO have Skype, and that will make a difference to you both. Try to take a bit of time for a spot of 'you' time - go to your local swimming pool, or take and extra long green walk, just something to give yourself a bit of down time for an hour or so, don't JUST get caught up in your things to do list. You can't DO anything to make people treat you nicely, but you can stop yourself from feeling hurt by their actions. Very best of luck!
You are right, Millie - I am feeling nervous about going now. You get used to sorting things out alone when you are by yourself for long periods. It is only natural to worry about what might have changed, although I am sure everything will be alright on that front.
Skype has been fab for just the things you describe - keeping in touch with the little things.

I have had a lot of stress on with the winding up of affairs here and it is a big responsibility but I would have thought that might bring me and my family a bit closer together as it has with me and my in-laws.
I am not usually one to ask for or need help, but needing it over the past few months here and there has given them a chance to see me in a new light - a bit more vulnerable and perhaps not so scarily organised and competent as they thought.
Helping me has given us chance to get to know each other better and we get brilliantly now.
It is just a shame that the opposite has been true of my family, who have mostly avoided offering me help and made as many excuses as they can manage to avoid it. They have done so once or twice but not without being asked and I admit it, some guilt brought to bear when I was desperate.

I do not want to be accused of ignoring them and cutting them off when they have not communicated any care about my leaving, but time is short and I have got better things to do than waste my time on those who don't want it.

"Too late" have got to be the scariest words in the English language for me
Old Sep 18th 2011, 5:03 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Helcat, I've not read everyone's replies but, don't let them see you off at the airport anyway - it's too heartbreaking. DO see them before you go though, you would regret it too much if you didn't, so do it for your own peace of mind.
Old Sep 18th 2011, 5:37 pm
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Helcat,

You've had some great replies on here, so much of what I might say has already been said.

I do think that this apparent withdrawl from you could well be a defence mechanism/denial thing. I do agree that if you don't go to see them, you (and they) will probably be more hurt than either of you could probably imagine and it could take a long time to heal.

So I think you should go see them and say your goodbyes. Try not to guilt-trip them by asking why they don't seem to care, but do what you have to do for yourself, and let them take care of their own feelings without giving further cause for blame.

On the day of parting it'd be nice to have company, for sure, but then again, if you go on your own, you have only your own emotions to deal with. Is there a friend who would take you, maybe somebody who's not quite so emotionally involved and can be practical, pragmatic and helpful?
Old Sep 18th 2011, 6:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Geordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alberta_Rose
Hi Helcat,

You've had some great replies on here, so much of what I might say has already been said.

I do think that this apparent withdrawl from you could well be a defence mechanism/denial thing. I do agree that if you don't go to see them, you (and they) will probably be more hurt than either of you could probably imagine and it could take a long time to heal.

So I think you should go see them and say your goodbyes. Try not to guilt-trip them by asking why they don't seem to care, but do what you have to do for yourself, and let them take care of their own feelings without giving further cause for blame.

On the day of parting it'd be nice to have company, for sure, but then again, if you go on your own, you have only your own emotions to deal with. Is there a friend who would take you, maybe somebody who's not quite so emotionally involved and can be practical, pragmatic and helpful?
I agree wholeheartedly with everything in this reply. Esp about going to see them. If you do - you can walk away with whatever consequences with your head held high knowing you did your best.

I agree with maybe taking a friend to see you off - you know a no-nonsense friend that can really help you with your fears and jee you up - not someone who will cry and cry at the airport with you. That's what I would do anyway!

Hang in there... you will be with your hubby soon It's bitterly disappointing when family act like this but you're soon to be reunited with the most important member of your family...

xx
Old Sep 18th 2011, 7:36 pm
Island life at last

Originally Posted by Alberta_Rose
Hi Helcat,

Originally Posted by Geordie Lass
I agree wholeheartedly with everything in this reply. Esp about going to see them. If you do - you can walk away with whatever consequences with your head held high knowing you did your best.

I agree with maybe taking a friend to see you off - you know a no-nonsense friend that can really help you with your fears and jee you up - not someone who will cry and cry at the airport with you. That's what I would do anyway!

Hang in there... you will be with your hubby soon It's bitterly disappointing when family act like this but you're soon to be reunited with the most important member of your family...

xx
Thanks both for this good advice.

I will go as so much of this good advice has said and I will keep my own counsel.
I won't blame them or ask difficult questions or confront anybody with their behaviour.
I will just go there, take all the stuff they want of mine and say my goodbyes at the door when i get in the taxi.
You are right to say that then I can keep my dignity and my self-respect even if I am disappointed.

Unfortunately all my friends have over the years moved further South for work
reasons and there isn't anyone in the Manchester area who could accompany me, so I will do that bit alone.
That is fine, though, I think. Once I have dealt with the family thing I will be content to go alone - it will give me time to think over and draw a line under whatever has happened in the last few days and focus on what will have been some very happy times with my friends.

Your comments and those of all the posters here have been a great help in thinking all these things through and finding a path I am happy with.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.