Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Why do you want to leave the UK?

Why do you want to leave the UK?

Old Jan 13th 2008, 3:56 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why do you want to leave the UK?

Originally Posted by NatsnSid
Thanks for being so "up your own jacksy" to point that out

No really, Thanks :O)
Well really, one such strive for coherence in one's xenophobic rants.
Old Jan 13th 2008, 3:59 pm
Just Joined

Rich n Emma is an unknown quantity at this point

That's why its better to leave the UK, its only going to get worse and i don't know how many more people the UK can hold. Also can anyone tell me if Canada has an equivelant of our housing association as they're another one of my major gripes. You can buy a lovely new house and find that your neighbours are housing association and don't give a damn about their house and therefore abuse it and their gardens. Now again this is just a minority but is quite common in the areas where i live.
Old Jan 13th 2008, 4:02 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rich n Emma
That's why its better to leave the UK, its only going to get worse and i don't know how many more people the UK can hold. Also can anyone tell me if Canada has an equivelant of our housing association as they're another one of my major gripes. You can buy a lovely new house and find that your neighbours are housing association and don't give a damn about their house and therefore abuse it and their gardens. Now again this is just a minority but is quite common in the areas where i live.
Yes Canada has those.
Old Jan 13th 2008, 4:02 pm
Forum Regular

Selsame is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Rich n Emma
I think you will find they are quite common throughout the UK. We are in just such a situation as you describe. We bought a nice house, yet a year after moving in the place next door was bought as a "buy to let" and now we have riff raff for neighbours. Oh and our reasons for leaving the UK apart from this sort of thing. Well most people have covered the main reasons; crime, lack of respect, rudeness, failing education system. However I have a slightly different take on the "uncontrolled immigration" view. I am employed as a UK immigration officer I can tell you the real situation is a lot worse than the Daily Mail would have you believe which may explain why so many Immigration officers, police officers etc are planning to emigrate.....

Last edited by Selsame; Jan 13th 2008 at 4:08 pm.
Old Jan 13th 2008, 4:04 pm
Just Joined

Rich n Emma is an unknown quantity at this point

When it comes to buying a house then, (quite a few years down the line) i'll have to make sure that i know the area well. Can't be doing with all the hastle it comes with.
Old Jan 13th 2008, 4:44 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

As the majority of the EU are allowed in without question now - we have all and sundry coming over. They are not vetted, the majority can't finance themselves and they don't know squat about English culture. So going to the local fishery nicking the Carp (which is a delicacy in Poland) and stealing it/eating it (we don't fish to keep over here) and GUTTING OF LIVESTOCK in an open field, leaving the entrails and taking home the meat is a frequent occurance near me! (5 cows at a time from a farmers field!!!).
They do not need vetting, nor do they need to speak English as they are EU Citizens and have the legal right to live & work in the UK.

Don't forget how WWII was started ie- a hatred for Polish Jews..
Old Jan 13th 2008, 4:57 pm
Banned

startwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Coffeepot
Bazz all due respect how long since you left, this country has changed dramatically over the past 2 years, ? and even more so in the past 6 months. i would say at any one time in our shops over half are EU That in itself isn't a problem wait till you get hit by an uninsured driver, or like we were our son beaten so badly needed major surgery to save him, they were EU and they have the animals on CCTV but can they do anything no because they haven't the resources or the time to deal with it, its happening everyday here.

Toes guy and many others on here see it day in day out, don't agree with everything but its getting really bad here, even to go to town now i hate it, saw and heard someone form EU openly had a knife in our town he was talking with some others thats how i know he was from EU, there are lots of scum here British as well, but the people coming in should be monitored like we all are to get to Canada.

There isn't a Great Britain anymore,
You're absolutely right there, about it deteriorating so much the past few years. I go back once or twice a year, and I have felt really uneasy just walking a couple of blocks on my own in a previously "nice" area in my hometown. Here, I do a 7 km walk every day on my own, and never feel threatened or uneasy and last time I was back in the UK I decided against doing my walks on my own. And in the grocery stores, there seems to be so much resentment (for want of a better word), that I am in there at all. I seem to be in the minority, which is fine, but not with that undercurrent of hostility. I'm going back again in March, and really not looking forward to it. I hear enough from my son and family who live there.

On the flip side, there is still enough of the old England to really draw me and make me feel homesick from time to time. Out in the countryside, villages and country pubs. I just love Sunday lunch at a country pub. Villages in the Cotswolds. But, no way I could ever afford to live there, and you can't completely avoid the cities.

Last edited by startwin; Jan 13th 2008 at 5:06 pm. Reason: spelling!
Old Jan 13th 2008, 5:15 pm
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Selsame
I think you will find they are quite common throughout the UK. We are in just such a situation as you describe. We bought a nice house, yet a year after moving in the place next door was bought as a "buy to let" and now we have riff raff for neighbours.
I look forward to you moving to Canada and experiencing our version of "riff raff". You may find that with attitudes such as those displayed in your post, you will fit in quite well. With the "riff raff", that is.
Old Jan 13th 2008, 5:16 pm
rae
Settled.

rae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond repute

having left for the pull of canada, not the push of the UK, my eyes were opened when i got here. the following may address some of the reasons cited for wishing to leave the UK, they are here too.

there is graffiti and i live in a nice so called posh bit.
there is dog crap, just trekked past a load on my morning walk through local park.
there are abusive kids.
the school/education system has so far been a bit of a disappointment.
there is crime, within 3 miles of us a major coke op was recently busted, the killer of a mountie has links with crime where i live and only last week there was an armed robbery at a liquor store.
racial intolerance is rife, with little or no diversity or training.
groceries are appallingly expensive, spent $197 yesterday and there is not much to show for it, no booze whatsoever.

having said all this, and despite some wobbles, i still want to live here. the positives however are not so far reaching as one may think.
Old Jan 13th 2008, 5:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

I must be the only one thinking the UK's improved in the last few years. The new Polish delis in Edinburgh are to die for...yum

Why we left? Mr B fed up of working in the NHS, he can make a lot more money here, with shorter hours, and we can have more stuff and more holidays. There was nothing much Canada-specific in our move (edit: I had citizenship), I'd have liked the US or Germany, he'd have like Australia or NZ. But it's all worked out just fine

Last edited by Biiiiink; Jan 13th 2008 at 5:44 pm.
Old Jan 13th 2008, 5:38 pm
itchy feet again!

Jay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond repute

Violence in schools and on the streets is part also of life in Canada.....don't think you're leaving it behind...these are from today's Toronto (Sunday) Star

http://www.thestar.com/News/GTA/article/293129

http://www.thestar.com/News/article/293567

http://www.thestar.com/News/article/293405

Old Jan 13th 2008, 5:39 pm
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

I must sound angry, I am and must seem a hypocrite, I hope im not but there is a differnce and I just wish we'd install the Canada/USA or Aus way of "screening" - the UK nationals would feel ALOT better then!
You really have no idea, do you? There is no screening of the largest single class of immigrant into Canada. To paraphrase HWP, who wrote on another issue, reading these posts is increasingly akin to waiting for people to sit in wet paint.
Old Jan 13th 2008, 5:40 pm
Cynically amused.

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
I must be the only one thinking the UK's improved in the last few years.
I do too. Been back a few times in the last two years - loved it.
Old Jan 13th 2008, 5:46 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DAVIE_MAC
The difference is when we move to Canada we will RESPECT the nation we have moved to. Live by their laws and culture
One rather important aspect of Canadian culture is the tolerance and respect of other peoples and their culture and lifestyles.

I don't want to get into the keyboard wars that are going on in this thread. However, I do have to ask if you are so sure that Enoch Powell was right is Canada really a place where you will be happy? I mean, really?
Old Jan 13th 2008, 5:53 pm
rae
Settled.

rae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JonboyE
One rather important aspect of Canadian culture is the tolerance and respect of other peoples and their culture and lifestyles.
i'm sure you are correct generally speaking for the country as a whole, i do not have the experience to comment. in my short personal experience however, this is not the case. the use of highly inappropriate language, racial jokes and slurs have been most prevalent. i have also seen racial bias and stereotyping.
now this may not seem a big deal to some, and may also seem that i am advocating the political correctness we have in the uk, i am not. the impression i have formed personally is at odds with your post, that is all.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.