Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Why do you want to leave the UK?

Why do you want to leave the UK?

Old Oct 4th 2008, 10:03 am
Weirdo Latin Dude

Jules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why do you want to leave the UK?

Originally Posted by lifeisgood
It was a case of my husband is Scottish and didn't want to move away from his family at the time....we had to choose one or the other. And I suppose a lot of us still buy into the myth that there's loads of culture and a sophisticated lifestyle in Europe
Differing cultures and history there certainly is but not too much more. When I look at the opportunities available for people in North America and Australia etc Opportunities for people with ambition and a little bit of determination, there is little comparison between there and Europe. Where are you from in the US?
Old Oct 4th 2008, 10:07 am
Just Joined

lifeisgood is just really nicelifeisgood is just really nicelifeisgood is just really nicelifeisgood is just really nicelifeisgood is just really nicelifeisgood is just really nicelifeisgood is just really nicelifeisgood is just really nicelifeisgood is just really nice

Originally Posted by Jules Europe
Differing cultures and history there certainly is but not too much more. When I look at the opportunities available for people in North America and Australia etc Opportunities for people with ambition and a little bit of determination, there is little comparison between there and Europe. Where are you from in the US?
I grew up in Michigan, went to uni in Milwaukee. You're definately right about there being a massive difference in levels of opportunities for those in North America compared to here in the UK. I personally feel there is little motivation or encouragement for advancement in the UK, and almost a feeling of resentment towards those who do attempt to get ahead. Just hopin we're able to be successful in our attempt to move to Canada
Old Oct 4th 2008, 10:11 am
Weirdo Latin Dude

Jules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond repute

I grew up in Michigan, went to uni in Milwaukee. You're definately right about there being a massive difference in levels of opportunities for those in North America compared to here in the UK. I personally feel there is little motivation or encouragement for advancement in the UK, and almost a feeling of resentment towards those who do attempt to get ahead. Just hopin we're able to be successful in our attempt to move to Canada
Any reason why you are going to Canada and not back to the USA? Saying that, everybody in Canada seems to live just acroos the border anyway.
Old Oct 4th 2008, 10:16 am
Just Joined

lifeisgood is just really nicelifeisgood is just really nicelifeisgood is just really nicelifeisgood is just really nicelifeisgood is just really nicelifeisgood is just really nicelifeisgood is just really nicelifeisgood is just really nicelifeisgood is just really nice

Any reason why you are going to Canada and not back to the USA? Saying that, everybody in Canada seems to live just acroos the border anyway.
Yep, the USA is an entirely different country now compared to what I grew up in. Plus of course there's the health care system in Canada, and it's a much cleaner and greener country (although I know it's not perfect!!!!). The outdoors lifestyle and the fact that it's also in close proximity to the States for seeing my family. Plus my husband likes the idea of it being a neutral ground for a new start for the two of us. Oh and of course there's the difference in pace of life between Canada and the US and the number of holidays/annual leave, etc.

Last edited by lifeisgood; Oct 4th 2008 at 10:20 am.
Old Oct 4th 2008, 12:43 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Oh and of course there's the difference in pace of life between Canada and the US and the number of holidays/annual leave, etc.
Eh?
Old Oct 4th 2008, 1:23 pm
Banned

googlemonster is an unknown quantity at this point

Any reason why you are going to Canada and not back to the USA?
The psychology is completely different.
Old Oct 4th 2008, 1:35 pm
gurt mint nit?

Xebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by googlemonster
The psychology is completely different.
Would you mind explaining roughly how different please?

I've lived in America for ages now and Canada may as well be on the moon for as much as Americans are aware of it.

Yet its the only modern neighbouring country.
Old Oct 4th 2008, 1:45 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by dbd33
Eh?
http://http://www.statcan.ca/Daily/E...1/d030911b.htm

If you read through Canadians work an average of 1,622 hours per year, Americans work an average of 1,743 hours per year.

http://http://www.hrmguide.net/usa/w...d_vacation.htm

On average, Americans take 13 annual leave days a year, Canadians take 26 on average.

I know my brothers in the States have never gotten their full two weeks holiday since they started working after uni and had to work a full year before they were entitled to take any of their leave. One of my brothers works as an engineer and works an average of 70 (yes 70!) hours a week and has never had a full week's holiday in the past six years....his employers also pull up anyone who complains by pointing out that their high wages justify the high demands on them.

Obviously there are exceptions within every job, region, etc. etc.
Old Oct 4th 2008, 1:51 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Never understand why Americans want to live in the UK or Europe, especially when you have so much more in your own country. Suppose in your case it was family connections.
So much more what?
Old Oct 4th 2008, 4:02 pm
Weirdo Latin Dude

Originally Posted by R I C H
So much more what?
Unfortunately I can`t comment on this. As only last week when I commented on something else, a couple of people got a bit upset and abusive and sadly this spoilt it for everybody and the thread went downhill fast. So in the interests of the thread I won`t expand on this.

Saying this though, "Lifeisgood" said a very good point above.

Last edited by Jules Europe; Oct 4th 2008 at 4:05 pm.
Old Oct 4th 2008, 4:15 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Never understand why Americans want to live in the UK or Europe, especially when you have so much more in your own country.

my american husband much prefers living in the UK. what do they have more of in their country ....shootings, drugs, vagrants, illegals etc etc hmmmm yes perhaps you are right.
Old Oct 4th 2008, 5:40 pm
Weirdo Latin Dude

Originally Posted by TruBrit
my american husband much prefers living in the UK. what do they have more of in their country ....shootings, drugs, vagrants, illegals etc etc hmmmm yes perhaps you are right.
Think you are confusing some issues here Anyway, I am sure you know all of this exists in most countries.
Old Oct 4th 2008, 5:45 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Think you are confusing some issues here Anyway, I am sure you know all of this exists in most countries.

very much more so in some countries than others. so what is it that you can't understand about why americans like living in the UK or Europe?

what do you mean by > Never understand why Americans want to live in the UK or Europe, especially when you have so much more in your own country>

more of what?

btw how many countries have you lived in?
Old Oct 4th 2008, 6:04 pm
Weirdo Latin Dude

Originally Posted by TruBrit
very much more so in some countries than others. so what is it that you can't understand about why americans like living in the UK or Europe?

what do you mean by > Never understand why Americans want to live in the UK or Europe, especially when you have so much more in your own country>

more of what?

btw how many countries have you lived in?
Think you will find, I put the reason above why I am not answering that question because the thread could well just go downhill if the answer is not to certain peoples liking, better to let people on here discuss why they want to leave the UK, which is the topic of the thread anyway.

In answer to your other question, yes I can certainly answer that well in total 4 countries where I have either lived, worked and studied all for lengthy periods of time.

Anyway its Saturday night here, so gotta go I imagine its midday in Houston, never been there mind you.....................Anyway have a nice weekend
Old Oct 4th 2008, 6:42 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

http://http://www.statcan.ca/Daily/E...1/d030911b.htm

If you read through Canadians work an average of 1,622 hours per year, Americans work an average of 1,743 hours per year.

http://http://www.hrmguide.net/usa/w...d_vacation.htm

On average, Americans take 13 annual leave days a year, Canadians take 26 on average.

I know my brothers in the States have never gotten their full two weeks holiday since they started working after uni and had to work a full year before they were entitled to take any of their leave. One of my brothers works as an engineer and works an average of 70 (yes 70!) hours a week and has never had a full week's holiday in the past six years....his employers also pull up anyone who complains by pointing out that their high wages justify the high demands on them.

Obviously there are exceptions within every job, region, etc. etc.
I can't open the link to the HRM guide. Those numbers are astonishing to me. I don't know any workers in Canada who take their full 10 days of vacation a year. No one at our firm no one has taken consecutive days off since 1987. I think this varies by job rather than by country and that to get an average of 26 days off in Canada they must be counting George Bush as a Canadian. 26 days is better than five weeks and yet most jobs offer only 2.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.