Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Why do you want to leave the UK?

Why do you want to leave the UK?

Old Jan 30th 2008, 4:33 pm
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why do you want to leave the UK?

Originally Posted by Cape Blue
Bernard Manning quote if I remember correctly
and he got it from the Duke of Wellington, who ironically used it to respond to someone who said he wasn't really British because he was born in Ireland.
Old Jan 30th 2008, 5:15 pm
Banned

didikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to all

Originally Posted by dbd33
We are the yids, we are the yids ...
Ahhhhh they are from Stamford Hill, and the Woodberry Down Estate.
Just out of my acceptance border.

(Didn't think that term was PC any more)
Old Jan 30th 2008, 6:08 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by didikai
Ahhhhh they are from Stamford Hill, and the Woodberry Down Estate.
Just out of my acceptance border.

Are you sure you've been to White Hart Lane?
Old Jan 30th 2008, 6:33 pm

marclouis is a name known to allmarclouis is a name known to allmarclouis is a name known to allmarclouis is a name known to allmarclouis is a name known to allmarclouis is a name known to allmarclouis is a name known to allmarclouis is a name known to allmarclouis is a name known to allmarclouis is a name known to allmarclouis is a name known to all

they've (we've until i gave up on them) been calling them that for years.
Old Jan 30th 2008, 6:34 pm

marclouis is a name known to allmarclouis is a name known to allmarclouis is a name known to allmarclouis is a name known to allmarclouis is a name known to allmarclouis is a name known to allmarclouis is a name known to allmarclouis is a name known to allmarclouis is a name known to allmarclouis is a name known to allmarclouis is a name known to all

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/7217977.stm
a canadian freeks out on on prospect of coming to london.
Old Jan 30th 2008, 6:48 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by marclouis
they've (we've until i gave up on them) been calling them that for years.
Decades. I haven't regularly listened to dulcet tones of the Park Lane since the seventies, we were the binnies even then.
Old Jan 30th 2008, 7:06 pm

Decades. I haven't regularly listened to dulcet tones of the Park Lane since the seventies, we were the binnies even then.
yep, nothing offensive about it.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yid
should be seen as a compliment
Old Jan 30th 2008, 7:07 pm
Banned

didikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to all

Are you sure you've been to White Hart Lane?
Well I used to play in a band many moons ago and we did Saturday nights in the White Hart pub, right next to the ground, which was then run by Joe Lucy the ex boxer.
As we were packing up around 11 p.m. Greavesie and his mates would just be arriving for some 'afters'.

Do you know where Tottenham is? (It's not Tottenham Court Road)

Didikai (Just outside the GTA)
Old Jan 30th 2008, 7:08 pm
Thinking the unthinkable.

Madmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wheatsheaf
cows, horses -- all farm animals. It's a funny world. Hamburgers taste the same wherever. But people latch on to the most visible signs of possible difference. At high school an Indian joined in time for "O" levels. he was born and raised in Glasgow and had a strong scottish accent.....brown and scottish..a double whammy.
Yeah double whammy: we had a guy from Luton who loved Shakin' Stevens. Poor bloke.
Old Jan 30th 2008, 7:30 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Well I used to play in a band many moons ago and we did Saturday nights in the White Hart pub, right next to the ground, which was then run by Joe Lucy the ex boxer.
As we were packing up around 11 p.m. Greavesie and his mates would just be arriving for some 'afters'.
And yet you don't know what the Spurs fans are called? You sure you're not from the Tottenham on highway 50?
Old Jan 30th 2008, 8:01 pm
Banned

And yet you don't know what the Spurs fans are called? You sure you're not from the Tottenham on highway 50?
Fraid I've been a supporter since the '50s.
Silly to say I don't know about Yids.
Not that I give a carrot, but that has been a derogatory term since before I was a kid. So where anyone can say it isn't, is a bit weird.
But who knows, maybe the 'N' word will become acceptable again and we'll all be able to shout that at the matches.
Old Jan 30th 2008, 8:35 pm
Forum Regular

englishintruder is just really niceenglishintruder is just really niceenglishintruder is just really niceenglishintruder is just really niceenglishintruder is just really niceenglishintruder is just really niceenglishintruder is just really niceenglishintruder is just really nice

I suppose the real answer to this questions is

Because we want to and we can!!
Old Jan 30th 2008, 10:10 pm

Not that I give a carrot, but that has been a derogatory term since before I was a kid. So where anyone can say it isn't, is a bit weird.
But who knows, maybe the 'N' word will become acceptable again and we'll all be able to shout that at the matches.
wikipedia "Some Tottenham supporters use it with a political consciousness of the club as a bastion against racism and antisemitism"

i can only speak from the view of a yid from north london, in that it is a compliment, or like the familiar "mate".

i agree, its probably like the N word. used out of context, its very insulting. but having heard it many times this year, not once in an insulting way....

not that its relevant, i have been to a few matches with friends, with kids etc, and i have have to say White Hart Lane is a good day out.
Old Jan 30th 2008, 11:22 pm
Truro NS

wbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by marclouis
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/7217977.stm
a canadian freeks out on on prospect of coming to london.
A passenger said the pilot was carried from the plane shouting and swearing, saying he wanted to talk "to God".

So they diverted to Eire?
I knew there was something about David O'Leary.
Old Jan 31st 2008, 1:42 am
Assimilated Pauper

What you don't seem to realize is that the term yids or yid-army refers not only to Jewish people but, in the football context, to supporters of Tottenham, regardless of their religion. I used to stand next to an Indian who'd scream Yiddo! along with the rest of us. It's exactly like the N word in that that has become acceptable in the mouths of the people who've reclaimed it, the rap band NWA, for example.

You allude to Jimmy Greaves and to having been a fan since the fifties, it seems to me that your knowledge of the Spurs is as dated as your politics. How long have you been gone?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.