Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Why do you want to leave the UK?

Why do you want to leave the UK?

Old Jan 29th 2008, 12:48 am
Forum Regular

markhelen will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Why do you want to leave the UK?

Originally Posted by CaptainHook
I moved to Toronto from Cirencester, Glos, back in Oct 2006 to be with my Canadian-born fiancee. It was either her move to the UK or me move here, and after weighing up the positives and negatives of both, I came here.

I agree there are things wrong with the UK but moving to another country is not going to change anything back there, so I'm not going to moan too much.

I too look at moving here as an adventure, a challenge, and an opportunity to start over with my new family and friends. I still have my family and friends back in the UK but also have a wonderful life here. I miss some things about the UK, but I'm not going to treat my new home as a little piece of England abroad.

English by birth, Canadian-to-be by choice.
my thoughts exactly
Old Jan 29th 2008, 2:32 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

I moved to Toronto from Cirencester, Glos, back in Oct 2006 to be with my Canadian-born fiancee.
Point the first: if you're from Cirencester, how the hell do you justify being an Arsenal fan?????

Point the tooth: I've been away too long to remember how to pronounce Cirencester. Is it anything like Wooster?
Old Jan 29th 2008, 3:17 am
Happy in NB

Dave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Point the first: if you're from Cirencester, how the hell do you justify being an Arsenal fan?????

Point the tooth: I've been away too long to remember how to pronounce Cirencester. Is it anything like Wooster?
Pronounced "Siren-sester" I think if my Northern memory (ok North midlands if you are going to be picky) serves me right
Old Jan 29th 2008, 3:19 am
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Point the first: if you're from Cirencester, how the hell do you justify being an Arsenal fan??????
How many Manchester Utd fans are from Manchester? I used to see lot's of them heading up the M5 / M6 to Old Trafford when we played them at Old Trafford.

Nope. Siren-cess-tur. Sort of like Leicester with the less.

I know what you mean though.
Old Jan 29th 2008, 5:51 am

bazzz is an unknown quantity at this point

How many Manchester Utd fans are from Manchester?
According to 2001 figures, 7,808 Man Utd season ticket holders live in an area with an 'M' post code, compared with 6,678 for Man City.

Or if you want to consider the North West as a whole, the figures are 19,788 and 12,864 respectively.

References:

Do You Come From Manchester? Manchester Metropolitan University study. Retrieved on January 9, 2008.
Old Jan 29th 2008, 5:56 am
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

This thread is a bit of a shame - its the sort of one I expect to find in the Barbie, full of people who are trying to compare downtown Wolverhampton to a small rural town in Canada and therefore think that Canada has less crime (etc etc).

Normally I would expect it from those going to Aus as they generally seem less well educated and have a bit of a chip on their shoulder about people who don't look like them, I am surprised that so many expats in or going to Canada have the same Daily Mail glasses.

Some things will be better, some worse. As another poster said, predominantly it is the one-off lift in living arrangements (both in size and location) afforded by the sale of the expensive UK property that makes the country look a lot better.

My experience is that anyone leaving the UK for strongly negative reasons frequently doesn't do well in their adopted country - all the issues are still there, including their inability to deal with them.

murders per capita - Canada more than UK http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/cr...ers-per-capita

rapes per capita - Canada more than UK http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/cr...pes-per-capita

immigrant percentage - Canada more than UK http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/im...rcentage-state
Old Jan 29th 2008, 6:18 am
Forum Regular

englishintruder is just really niceenglishintruder is just really niceenglishintruder is just really niceenglishintruder is just really niceenglishintruder is just really niceenglishintruder is just really niceenglishintruder is just really niceenglishintruder is just really nice

Originally Posted by Cape Blue
This thread is a bit of a shame - its the sort of one I expect to find in the Barbie, full of people who are trying to compare downtown Wolverhampton to a small rural town in Canada and therefore think that Canada has less crime (etc etc).

Normally I would expect it from those going to Aus as they generally seem less well educated and have a bit of a chip on their shoulder about people who don't look like them, I am surprised that so many expats in or going to Canada have the same Daily Mail glasses.

Some things will be better, some worse. As another poster said, predominantly it is the one-off lift in living arrangements (both in size and location) afforded by the sale of the expensive UK property that makes the country look a lot better.

My experience is that anyone leaving the UK for strongly negative reasons frequently doesn't do well in their adopted country - all the issues are still there, including their inability to deal with them.

murders per capita - Canada more than UK http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/cr...ers-per-capita

rapes per capita - Canada more than UK http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/cr...pes-per-capita

immigrant percentage - Canada more than UK http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/im...rcentage-state
Those links posted are from statisics in 1998-2000!!! , for rapes and murders and 2005 for immigration, got any uptodate links?
Old Jan 29th 2008, 6:42 am
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by englishintruder
Those links posted are from statisics in 1998-2000!!! , for rapes and murders and 2005 for immigration, got any uptodate links?
No

have you?
Old Jan 29th 2008, 9:33 am

marclouis is a name known to allmarclouis is a name known to allmarclouis is a name known to allmarclouis is a name known to allmarclouis is a name known to allmarclouis is a name known to allmarclouis is a name known to allmarclouis is a name known to allmarclouis is a name known to allmarclouis is a name known to allmarclouis is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Cape Blue
these figures are probably distorted to include murders by bear & moose.

also the rape stats for Saudi Arabia might be slightly inaccurate as the kingdoms penalty for being a victim of rape is far worse than that for the rapist.

So the rest of these stats are probably wrong too.
Old Jan 29th 2008, 12:10 pm
Just Joined

wildside is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Mrs Muesli
Maybe this has been covered before, but it might be too far back for me to find....but as a many-years resident of Canada wondering whether to return, I'd like to know why people want to leave the UK.............so, in more than a nutshell, why?
I am not at all surprised that most of the replies concern immigrants,it is the commonest grumble I hear everywhere I go.Even lost my job to 2 very nice Polish girls who earn less with 11 living in one small house,and we are doing them a favour?The bad side is that they send all their money home so do not add to our economy.Having said that Britain is still a green and pleasant land.Well some of it,the councils will not let you build anywhere,they scream go green,so we did,looked into smallholdings even into underground housing,No not allowed,the council then built over 500 houses on greenbelt land.I live in a village,no-one speaks to anyone else they are all miserable self centred and territorial.The kids have nothing to do.2 boys have asbo`s for rollerblading.My son will not be able to get an apprenticeship after school there arn`t any.He won`t get a job in a supermarket either the immigrants are already there,One 17 year old lad in a local town was told he could have a factory job but he would have to learn Polish.I hate to think what the cities are like we do not provide for our teenagers but we do build mosques.Transport is hopeless and expensive any way you travel.If you can get a Brit to smile you met them on a good day everyone is miserable most of us are on the breadline and depressed as you only exist you can`t afford to have a life there is no money for that and the government will make sure it stays that way,so I am leaving!
Old Jan 29th 2008, 12:35 pm

marclouis is a name known to allmarclouis is a name known to allmarclouis is a name known to allmarclouis is a name known to allmarclouis is a name known to allmarclouis is a name known to allmarclouis is a name known to allmarclouis is a name known to allmarclouis is a name known to allmarclouis is a name known to allmarclouis is a name known to all

I think whats being missed here regarding immigration being a major reason why brits are leaving is the way the government policy is handling it. I doubt in Canada you can land and so easily find yourself in free or heavily state funded housing, get free healthcare straight away and claim unemployment benefit. This causes massive resentment even among immigrants from 10 years ago.

I live in what was once a very nice suburb on the green belt, it has gone from bad to worse over the last ten years.

And yes, i agree, having serious equity in a property makes it easier to emigrate.
Old Jan 29th 2008, 1:50 pm
Banned

Howard1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud of

I read that the vast majority of Polish workers have no intention of staying long term in the U.K, they intend to make enough to return home and to buy a home.

Damn, Hard Working Immigrants who send money home to save and to support their family, is nothing sacred, have they not heard of Welfare or spewing out legions of Children by various partners, what is the world coming to?
Old Jan 29th 2008, 1:52 pm
Banned

startwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wildside
I am not at all surprised that most of the replies concern immigrants,it is the commonest grumble I hear everywhere I go.Even lost my job to 2 very nice Polish girls who earn less with 11 living in one small house,and we are doing them a favour?The bad side is that they send all their money home so do not add to our economy.Having said that Britain is still a green and pleasant land.Well some of it,the councils will not let you build anywhere,they scream go green,so we did,looked into smallholdings even into underground housing,No not allowed,the council then built over 500 houses on greenbelt land.I live in a village,no-one speaks to anyone else they are all miserable self centred and territorial.The kids have nothing to do.2 boys have asbo`s for rollerblading.My son will not be able to get an apprenticeship after school there arn`t any.He won`t get a job in a supermarket either the immigrants are already there,One 17 year old lad in a local town was told he could have a factory job but he would have to learn Polish.I hate to think what the cities are like we do not provide for our teenagers but we do build mosques.Transport is hopeless and expensive any way you travel.If you can get a Brit to smile you met them on a good day everyone is miserable most of us are on the breadline and depressed as you only exist you can`t afford to have a life there is no money for that and the government will make sure it stays that way,so I am leaving!
My gosh, that's a really depressing post. And yet.....

Here in BC we've had lots of retirement or extended care homes lay off all the workers, then hire other people at half the pay. (Interesting to note that many of these are owned by off-shore investors). Lots of companies hire the cheapest worker.
We have urban sprawl here, local governments OK building houses on greenbelt land.
We have mosques as well, though I believe the cost of building them is met by the indo community.
We are all (pretty much) immigrants here, so we often are confronted by "foreign" languages.
We have a lot of people here on domestic worker visas who send all their money back home, specifically from the Phillipines, and they need to support their children.

Not trying to argue with you, but my point is that Canada is not Utopia, we have our problems too, many of them the same as you have back there. Having said that, I'm glad I live here and not in the UK. I hope you are successful in your bid to immigrate here, but don't be surprised if you encounter some of the same issues.
Old Jan 29th 2008, 1:53 pm

Originally Posted by Howard1944
I read that the vast majority of Polish workers have no intention of staying long term in the U.K, they intend to make enough to return home and to buy a home.

Damn, Hard Working Immigrants who send money home to save and to support their family, is nothing sacred, have they not heard of Welfare or spewing out legions of Children by various partners, what is the world coming to?
Yep, i had a Hungarian builder do some work for me last year, and he showed me the progress of his new home being built, by other builders.
Old Jan 29th 2008, 2:21 pm
Happy in NB

Dave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by englishintruder
Canada Stats on crime rate for 2006 for Atlantic Canada. For 2007, I think we had 3 murders in NB last year.

For lots of other stats check out the canada stats site

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.