Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Why do you want to leave the UK?

Why do you want to leave the UK?

Old Jan 27th 2008, 7:37 pm
Account Closed

jericho is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Why do you want to leave the UK?

Originally Posted by jonfrank123
Why do people always use this as a reason, kids will adapt to wherever they are.
Who said it was about them adapting?
I've got 2 young girls, and they're the number 1 reason we're moving.
Canada offers a lot of opportunities that arent available in the UK. It also offers them, I believe, a safer, nicer environment to grow up in.
I'm assuming you're not a parent, but if you were, you'd understand.
Old Jan 27th 2008, 7:43 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by didikai
So if I didn't want to buy anything from a store because it's owned by a 'Paki' then that's alright then?
I'd expect it of you.
Old Jan 27th 2008, 7:44 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jericho
Canada offers a lot of opportunities that arent available in the UK.
Ice hockey. What else?
Old Jan 27th 2008, 7:46 pm
Happy in NB

Dave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Ice hockey. What else?
Opportunities for Women. In the UK there is hardly any women managers. You will have to trust me on this.
Old Jan 27th 2008, 8:01 pm
Just Joined

Mountain Runner will become famous soon enoughMountain Runner will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Dave+Jules
Opportunities for Women. In the UK there is hardly any women managers. You will have to trust me on this.
Rubbish!!! I live here and I can definately say that is rubbish!!!
Old Jan 27th 2008, 8:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

dinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of light

I just cant get over the change I have seen in the UK over the past 20yrs -increased drug abuse leading to more petty crime, racist behavior thats all types including religions. The goverment are to concentrated in keeping the minority happy that the average UK resident no longer feels part of the country. The youths today have a mob culture that has now extended to the local bars, taxation is ridiculous - I am paying for eastern europeans to get NHS care (thats a joke) I pay tax so some middle east radical can get handouts for 2 councils houses then call me a racist because I do not fit his religous beliefs. Cant go to the local bar as I will most likely be threatened by 13 - 16 yr old youths in gangs on drugs and on remand - hmm please tell me I am doing the right thing trying to move to Canada? PS reference sending them to the army that is rapidly becoming part of the nam be pam be society we once referred to as Great Britian! Oh to all the people that this might offend I fully understand and realise that it is the minority and people from my religion and background are just as bad, so sorry if I have offended any one that is not my intention
Old Jan 27th 2008, 8:11 pm
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dave+Jules

That has got to be the funniest post today. You have got to be kidding me. This is one of the most mysogynistic and outright discriminatory societies around. Explain to me why, in 2008, Canadian women still earn 70c to the male $? I was a senior manager in the UK, so were many, many of my female friends and colleagues. Employment equity are dirty words, out here, the fact that so many don't realise it serves only to promote the Canuck PR machine.

http://www.cwhn.ca/resources/faq/income.html
Old Jan 27th 2008, 8:13 pm
Happy in NB

Dave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mountain Runner
Rubbish!!! I live here and I can definately say that is rubbish!!!
Well I lived there 2 years ago working in central London for over 9 years. When I started working in Canada I was surprised how many women were in middle and senior management positions. In the UK I would meet the occassional Women Project Manager, where I work now there is probably a 50-50 split.

Last edited by Dave+Jules; Jan 27th 2008 at 8:27 pm.
Old Jan 27th 2008, 8:22 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Ice hockey. What else?
Lacrosse.
Old Jan 27th 2008, 8:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

hudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of light

Who said it was about them adapting?
I've got 2 young girls, and they're the number 1 reason we're moving.
Canada offers a lot of opportunities that arent available in the UK. It also offers them, I believe, a safer, nicer environment to grow up in.
jericho

I believe jonfrank123 also has 2 young children in Montreal so he is also looking his children future as well. We actually return to the UK from Canada as we wanted to give our sons a better opportunities in the UK and possibly in the European job market. Also the UK still has some of the best Universities in the world so we moved back to do their secondary schooling/uni in the UK.

I found the job market much more restrictive in Canada than in the UK and found returning that I had more job opportunties than I would ever had in Canada. I actually just been offered a new job as the advert I applied to wanted overseas experience as well as UK in the industry I work in.
I not sure what opportunties are different in Canada than you would get in the UK? I found Canada no safer than the UK, but never worried in either country about crime etc. I lived in rural areas in Canada as we do now do back in England. Our village is a lot cleaner and more attractive than the rural town I last lived in Ontario.

I will agree moving to Canada made my sons have a wider horizons in life than if we had stay in Suffolk, but then the folks in the town we lived in Onatrio were nice people but very insular in their outlook.

I worked with expats in Canada who have had their children move back to the UK for better jobs and life style.

hudd

Last edited by hudd; Jan 27th 2008 at 8:28 pm. Reason: typo
Old Jan 27th 2008, 8:26 pm
Happy in NB

Originally Posted by Danny B
Imagine Bazzz as the bloke in this link

http://redwing.hutman.net/~mreed/war...grammarian.htm
Nice
Old Jan 27th 2008, 8:27 pm
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

What opportunities? The environment is not safer, is less populated and the press (I use the term loosely) doesn't report crime the way they do in the UK. I'm a parent and I did my kids a huge disservice bringing them here.
Old Jan 27th 2008, 8:28 pm
Forum Regular

englishintruder is just really niceenglishintruder is just really niceenglishintruder is just really niceenglishintruder is just really niceenglishintruder is just really niceenglishintruder is just really niceenglishintruder is just really niceenglishintruder is just really nice

another reason
Check these populations out

Canadain Size in Km Sq 9,970,610
Canadain poualtion 33,166,000
3.23 people per sq km

China size in km sq 9,598,0861
China Population 1,323,480,000
13.78 people per sq km

Uk Size in km Sq 242,900
Uk population 60,587,300
249 people per sq km!!!

I feel a bit squashed
Old Jan 27th 2008, 8:28 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hudd
Also the UK still has some of the best Universities in the world so we moved back to do there secondary schooling/uni in the UK.
Better choice of jobs in the UK & Europe, definitely yes.
Better Universities in the UK, definitely no *unless* you go to Oxford or Cambridge.

Check how many N.American Universities are on the list
http://www.arwu.org/rank/2005/ARWU2005_Top100.htm

Last edited by Danny B; Jan 27th 2008 at 8:31 pm. Reason: Typo
Old Jan 27th 2008, 8:29 pm
Account Closed

jericho is an unknown quantity at this point

Ice hockey. What else?
Sorry- when was it I needed to justify my reasons for you?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.