Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Why do you want to leave the UK?

Why do you want to leave the UK?

Old Jan 21st 2008, 12:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

cneldred will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Why do you want to leave the UK?

Brentwood wasn't a s**thole, on the hole it was an oasis in the middle of a desert. Huge vast amounts of the UK have become over developed. And a lot of it has been been done with very little thought for long term consequences. Added to that you have local authorities that have gone potty, a government so out of touch with the people it doesn't bear thinking about.

What was there great policy 5 years ago, charging people to scrap cars, resulting in abandoned cars everywhere, a lot of them burnt out. So what do they plan for the future, charging people per rubbish bag, well done can they not see what is going to happen since it is very clear in my eyes that people will be fly tipping rubbish everywhere.

The current government have taxed everything they possibly can to line theirs and other public sector members pensions, they will be the only ones with decent pensions in 30 years time, the rest of the country is screwed. The first thing Gordon Brown did when Labour came into power was raid private pensions. They have no thought for long term consequences at all.

Now over here, bear in mind i don't live anywhere near the GTA so i have no idea how it is there, but here we are allowed 2 big bags a week. And pay CAD$2 per black sack beyond that. I have not seen any rubbish dumped at the side of the road, people have to much respect for others to do that. That sums up the attitude of most people where we have settled, a lot of respect for each other and their environment. I know for damn sure where i want my kids to grow up.
Old Jan 21st 2008, 12:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Coffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cneldred
I keep reading the title of this thread and i just have to say it, been stopping myself for days...

Because it is a S***hole!!!

There you go i feel better. We moved over here for the quality of life, and we are thoroughly enjoying it.

Chris
That must be with the exception of Brentwood then
Old Jan 21st 2008, 12:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Its all well and good to find a lovely town to move to but when it is surrounded by places that are just horrid, Basildon, Romford etc. those areas and some of the rougher elements from those areas slowly creep in.

Basically the UK is massively over populated and the infrastructure can't handle it.
Old Jan 21st 2008, 1:05 pm

marclouis is a name known to allmarclouis is a name known to allmarclouis is a name known to allmarclouis is a name known to allmarclouis is a name known to allmarclouis is a name known to allmarclouis is a name known to allmarclouis is a name known to allmarclouis is a name known to allmarclouis is a name known to allmarclouis is a name known to all

Its all well and good to find a lovely town to move to but when it is surrounded by places that are just horrid, Basildon, Romford etc. those areas and some of the rougher elements from those areas slowly creep in.

Basically the UK is massively over populated and the infrastructure can't handle it.
yes, how ever hard you try its hard to get away from.
Wembley Park is next to Stonebridge Park. Mill Hill next to West Hendon.
you pay so much more to live in a "better neigbourhood" within the M25.

I know people commuting more than 90 mins each way every day.

Its a horrid life here.

Last edited by marclouis; Jan 21st 2008 at 1:06 pm. Reason: stupid mistake
Old Jan 21st 2008, 4:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Iain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond repute

I must say the pull was stronger than the push; yesterday we left our home in Vancouver and within an hour were up a mountain at the Cypress Nordic center, strapping on a pair of snow shoes in the glorious sunshine* amid the beautiful snow covered pines.

Regarding the whole upbring thing, the place was swarming with (to slip into stereotypical cliché) happy outdoor-loving children.

I love BC, no regrets here thus far!

Cheers, Iain

* Ok, I can't pretend it's sunny every weekend in January, but this weekend was a pleasant anomaly!

Old Jan 21st 2008, 4:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Iain Mc
I must say the pull was stronger than the push; yesterday we left our home in Vancouver and within an hour were up a mountain at the Cypress Nordic center, strapping on a pair of snow shoes in the glorious sunshine* amid the beautiful snow covered pines.

Regarding the whole upbring thing, the place was swarming with (to slip into stereotypical cliché) happy outdoor-loving children.

I love BC, no regrets here thus far!

Cheers, Iain

* Ok, I can't pretend it's sunny every weekend in January, but this weekend was a pleasant anomaly!

http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o...DSC01164_s.jpg
http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o...DSC_3024_s.jpg
Ahhh, so beautiful! I love Vancouver!
Old Jan 21st 2008, 5:13 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Huge vast amounts of the UK have become over developed. And a lot of it has been been done with very little thought for long term consequences.
Aren't you having a McMansion built in Canada? Bit pot and kettle, innit?
Old Jan 21st 2008, 5:35 pm
Forum Regular

Mrs Muesli is just really niceMrs Muesli is just really niceMrs Muesli is just really niceMrs Muesli is just really niceMrs Muesli is just really niceMrs Muesli is just really niceMrs Muesli is just really niceMrs Muesli is just really niceMrs Muesli is just really nice

I've been reading this thread with interest and a certain amount of alarm.......alarm because of the racism displayed. It seems to me that a large number of contributors to this thread want to leave the UK because of what is perceived as a growing immigrant population? Some of whathas been said is out and out racism, which appalls me. I trust you will leave that behind if you are lucky enough to come to Canada.......remembering we are all immigrants!

A note to cneldred.............because you have not seen rubbish dumped at the side of the road in your part of Canada, doesn't mean it doesn't happen. Have you ever noticed the brown roadsigns on the sides of some of the higways? "Adopt a Highway" (see below).....this is because of the numbers of plastic carrier bags, MacDonalds containers, plastic bottle and Tim Horton's cups.......not to mention "piss-bombs"......thrown out of vehicles by stupid, careless, selfish drivers. Okay, I know it's not as bad as in the UK, but this country also has its fair share of people who don't know how to behave.

How can I participate in the ministry's Adopt-a-Highway program?
Volunteers (individuals or groups) agree to adopt a section of highway right-of-way and keep it clean. If you wish to participate in the program complete a special agreement with the ministry and in return you'll be recognized by a ministry sign acknowledging your efforts.

Ontario's adopt-a-highway program is a public service program designed to have volunteers pick up litter along certain provincial highway rights-of-way. Through participation in the program, Ontario residents can make a meaningful and personal contribution to a cleaner environment.

Please note that only volunteers who have received the required ministry safety training, either from a ministry representative or from the authorized group representative and have signed the agreement are allowed to participate in the program.

For more information, contact the ministry's district office in your area or contact MTO INFO toll free 1-800-268-4686 (TTY: 1-866-471-8929).
Old Jan 21st 2008, 5:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

we have a big plot of land with a decent size house going on it yes, the foot print is reasonable, we are using the loft and basement space aswell.

Have you ever been to Wasaga Beach half the houses are bloody shacks!! I will be living and working from our house, couldn't do that from a shack. Could be worse i could commute all the way to the GTA daily and produce a shit load of emissions.

Chris
Old Jan 21st 2008, 5:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

please explain 'piss-bomb'....

In the UK we lived close to the M25, but in a rural area. The amount of times local farmers would have to deal with stuff fly tipped on their land, both commercial and domestic waste. A tad different from some idiot throwing a timmies cup out the window. That is a disgrace aswell, but the level in inconsideration and disregard for the environment is in a different league.

Chris
Old Jan 21st 2008, 5:45 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sure you can use your imagination.... empty drinks bottle, need for urination, no desire to stand out in the cold by the side of the road, no desire to keep previously-empty drinks bottle with you in the car, momentarily open window...
Old Jan 21st 2008, 5:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

nice!!!
Old Jan 21st 2008, 5:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mrs Muesli

How can I participate in the ministry's Adopt-a-Highway program?
Volunteers (individuals or groups) agree to adopt a section of highway right-of-way and keep it clean. If you wish to participate in the program complete a special agreement with the ministry and in return you'll be recognized by a ministry sign acknowledging your efforts.

Ontario's adopt-a-highway program is a public service program designed to have volunteers pick up litter along certain provincial highway rights-of-way. Through participation in the program, Ontario residents can make a meaningful and personal contribution to a cleaner environment.

Please note that only volunteers who have received the required ministry safety training, either from a ministry representative or from the authorized group representative and have signed the agreement are allowed to participate in the program.

For more information, contact the ministry's district office in your area or contact MTO INFO toll free 1-800-268-4686 (TTY: 1-866-471-8929).
What a great idea for all those ASBO's in the UK.
Old Jan 21st 2008, 6:33 pm
Forum Regular

Mrs Muesli is just really niceMrs Muesli is just really niceMrs Muesli is just really niceMrs Muesli is just really niceMrs Muesli is just really niceMrs Muesli is just really niceMrs Muesli is just really niceMrs Muesli is just really niceMrs Muesli is just really nice

In the UK we lived close to the M25, but in a rural area. The amount of times local farmers would have to deal with stuff fly tipped on their land, both commercial and domestic waste. A tad different from some idiot throwing a timmies cup out the window. That is a disgrace aswell, but the level in inconsideration and disregard for the environment is in a different league.

Chris
"Piss-bomb": commonly used by truck drivers who are not paid when their truck isn't moving, so therefore have no time to stop to take a leak, use a container...usually 4 litre...then hurl the whole thing out the window when it's full. Apparently thousands of them are removed from the highways in North America every year.
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 12:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Elizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by dingbat
People are still able to sue, however, which is why the sixteen year old who was recently stabbed and died at the skytrain, was stepped over by commuters.

How recent was that? Is there a news piece I can read regarding this?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.