Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

why do parents always try and stick their oars in...?

why do parents always try and stick their oars in...?

Old Aug 27th 2006, 8:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Liana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really nice
Default Re: why do parents always try and stick their oars in...?

Originally Posted by sans
Hey Julius have you heard of the Phrase ( Do on to others as they do unto you ) treat them the same way they are treating you, just might work, you never know they may pack their bags and move on to sibling number 2. leaving you free to have a nice happy fruitful life where ever you choose.
Sans
"Do on to others as they do unto you" - and where did you get that quote from? Presumably you made it up, so it is effectively not a quote. "As you would be done by" is a much better quote- the parents are not acting that way but Julius is- he will be able to move on and he is a good person from the sound of it.

" " another unusual response. So many unusual people on this board- no wonder Brits are notorious.
Old Aug 27th 2006, 9:21 am
Forum Regular

sarah & andy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by julius smith
hi, everyone and thanks for all the really positive encouragement you have given out recently!
myself and the wife read all your messages of goodwill, cheer and help that it brought tears to her eyes, such is the emotional suffering we have had to put up with. poor lass, she started getting problems with high blood pressure around 2 or 3 years ago and now needs to take daily medication, and i am pretty sure that all the stress that she has just bottled up, has caused it. and yet still the pressure goes on, very underhandedly, but there nevertheless. i can only say that what we have recvd from all of you is far far more than we have had from our own flesh and blood, and all of us here do not even know who the next person we are messaging really is, but still you have left messages of kindness and encouragement.
i know some of you have said, in anger, that i am acting like a wimp, which i have not taken to heart, as i know what anybody else would say, if they heard what was going on in my house!
as one of you also has said, we are not really living at the moment--we are just existing. we have tried to sit and knock up a converastion with the parents, not about emigration or anything, but just about general things, the weather, cost of things these days etc, but all we get are blank stares from them and no comment! so its not as if we are avoiding them.
all we hear is our kids repeating comments that have been fed to them by their grandparents like "oh, you cant leave us now, we'll die on our own--look,wwe cant even walk..." or "we all want to live together, not alone" etc!
and when we offered for them to come with us, they gave a resounding NO.
so, as i said, does that mean that we have to stick with them till they expire?
what then would our lives have been? we would never get the chance to start anew somewhere else, as by then we'll be too old.
and what my wife or myself cannot fathom is, why us? my other siblings live alone and run their lives as they wish, go wherever their fancy takes them, etc and yet when they visit us here, my parents faces light up suddenly and faces which have not smiled for us amazingly start smiling again! i have never had cross word with my parents, out of respect. if they start winding up my kids or my wife, i just tend to keep quiet and let it go, as i dont want to start arguments, but just how much can someone take! there has to be a point when you have to put your foot down and say enough is enough, and i think that point is coming up very fast indeed now.
i have put up with this for too long and causing untold stress to my wife (how about this one -- the wife announced she was starting a fulltime job as we needed the cash, and my mum goes "then who's going to prepare my meals/ i cant do anything these days..."!!! needless to say, i told the wife to go ahead and start her job, as hanging around waiting hand and foot and listening to them harping on hour after hour was making her ill!!) and it is time it ended.
a couple of times in the past i had wanted to sell up and move to better location, and what happened? they said "no, we like it here"...so we cancelled the plan. that house we had been wanting to buy then at £100 000 is now selling at £395 000, so in listening to them, i have lost out almost £300 000, not to mention all the daily damage caused by vandals to our car!
weekends for us are no fun, as we know there will be long faces at home, so me and the wife usually go out shopping or for walks at the weekend, just for a break from the "happiness" at home!
and even that does not go down well with my mum, as if we dont tell her exactly where we are going and for how long, she gets the hump!!
before we emigrated to canada, my wife and i thought we may as well pop down to london and have a look at all the sights one final time before we leave the country, and we had a great time. little did we know that it had wound mum up big-time, and she never spoke to me for ages after that, probably cos we didnt ask her along, not that she could come any way as she cant walk far! and funnily enough, she had the cheek to finally let the cat out of the bag when we were in canada, as one time when the wife rang her to find out how they were, she said "well, are you seeing all the sights there in canada too, just like you did here, saw all the sights of England without mentioning it to anybody....?".
honestly, normal sane people would be shocked to see what kind of life we lead here--wife and i come home from work, she goes straight into the kitchen to cook for us as well as prepare the parents meals, while i go striaght upstairs to my room and either read or surf the net or talk to the kids, coming down only for the evening meal and then going back up again!
this what so-called looking after my parents has caused!

i am sorry if i am carping on and on but its all pouring out now, and i hope you will all now understand what happened to us and why we came back.
before i go away, and before you all get p---ed off with my sorry tale, i want to thank all you people from the bottom of our hearts for all the help and kind words--we never knew there could be such generous people on the net, as you usually hear of the net being full of perverts!!
anyway, here's a really big thank you from my wife and myself especially to all the ones below:

sans
Grah
AnyaT
Ki76
Piff Poff
ellsie
No1_mom
Morwenna
DollyLlama
dinamarca
chinnybloke
Rich_007
sans
sally h
Mally Lass
willmore

once i find out about this karma thing, i will let you all have some too!
but dont worry, i am not going away fro good--i will be around on this forum to entertain you with my quips now and then, providing i havent been too stressed out by the goings-on at home on any particular day !!!!

Hi Julius
I have read your threads and those of others.Some very good advice has already been given.I can only imagine the stress you and your wife are under but something has got to give,a compromise of some sorts between you and your family,before someone gets really really ill,or a massive arguement ensues causing you more deep hurt and guilt.I would suggest moving out,if this is at all possible,going back to Canada may be an escape route,if that is what you want.But staying in such a hostile environment is not good for you or your wife and children. I do feel for what its worth that your parents are totally absorbed in themselves and are equally unhappy in their lives and they in turn are stopping you from being happy.I know it is hard to make this break again but it is going to happen one way or the other,I suppose I am trying to say you have some choices and you can damage limitate,even though you may feel there is no way out.I hope things really work out well for you.Keep talking through the site if it helps you, I for one would be happy to listen. Karma sent to you and your wife.Sarah
Old Aug 27th 2006, 9:28 am
BE Enthusiast

Mally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Liana]"Do on to others as they do unto you" - and where did you get that quote from? Presumably you made it up, so it is effectively not a quote.
[QUOTE]

It is an actual quote. Google it
Old Aug 27th 2006, 9:32 am
Sloopy Frickenbutt

sans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Mally Lass][QUOTE=Liana]"Do on to others as they do unto you" - and where did you get that quote from? Presumably you made it up, so it is effectively not a quote.

Cheers mally Lass I darn't reply to it
Old Aug 27th 2006, 9:37 am
Greatly Missed. RIP

DollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Liana
"Do on to others as they do unto you" - and where did you get that quote from? Presumably you made it up, so it is effectively not a quote. "As you would be done by" is a much better quote- the parents are not acting that way but Julius is- he will be able to move on and he is a good person from the sound of it.

" " another unusual response. So many unusual people on this board- no wonder Brits are notorious.
As Mally Lass has pointed out "google" is your friend.
It is a well known quote.
Old Aug 27th 2006, 9:38 am
BE Enthusiast

Mally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=sans][QUOTE=Mally Lass]
"Do on to others as they do unto you" - and where did you get that quote from? Presumably you made it up, so it is effectively not a quote.

Cheers mally Lass I darn't reply to it
Coulsn't resist
Old Aug 27th 2006, 9:49 am
Sloopy Frickenbutt

sans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Morwenna
Here's a plan ...... we're all in agreement over this, so lets get ourselves over there en masse, invade the Smith househld and kidnap the family back to Canada .... giving the rest of 'em a piece of our collective minds as we do it!!!

I always wanted to be a commando.
Count me in
Old Aug 27th 2006, 9:53 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sans
Count me in

AND ME!
Old Aug 27th 2006, 9:55 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Julius I hope it all works out for you and your family whatever you decide to do - that goes to anyone else in the remotely same situation, I feel for you.

Mally - is that a Chow Chow on your avatar?
Old Aug 27th 2006, 10:08 am
BE Enthusiast

Liana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really nice

[QUOTE=Mally Lass][QUOTE=Liana]"Do on to others as they do unto you" - and where did you get that quote from? Presumably you made it up, so it is effectively not a quote.

You are all seem to be a little misguided about what is a quote. Google does not give any information regarding the original source and that is what a quote needs. The quote by Sans is only a reconfigured statement of the famous reciprocal quotes that have come from all cultures way back and up to the New Testament.

But now it can be referred to as Sans quote and though following that route could lead to a lot of negative things, and perhaps a lot of baggage to carry, it is is everyone's right to behave as they want.

The best behaviour here is that of Julius and now he need to get the courage to be able to continue on to a better life.
Old Aug 27th 2006, 10:12 am
BE Enthusiast

Sarahad is a splendid one to beholdSarahad is a splendid one to beholdSarahad is a splendid one to beholdSarahad is a splendid one to beholdSarahad is a splendid one to beholdSarahad is a splendid one to beholdSarahad is a splendid one to beholdSarahad is a splendid one to beholdSarahad is a splendid one to beholdSarahad is a splendid one to beholdSarahad is a splendid one to behold

[QUOTE=Liana][QUOTE=Mally Lass]
"Do on to others as they do unto you" - and where did you get that quote from? Presumably you made it up, so it is effectively not a quote.

You are all seem to be a little misguided about what is a quote. Google does not give any information regarding the original source and that is what a quote needs. The quote by Sans is only a reconfigured statement of the famous reciprocal quotes that have come from all cultures way back and up to the New Testament.

But now it can be referred to as Sans quote and though following that route could lead to a lot of negative things, and perhaps a lot of baggage to carry, it is is everyone's right to behave as they want.

The best behaviour here is that of Julius and now he need to get the courage to be able to continue on to a better life.

WHAT!!??? I thought this thread was about family?!
Old Aug 27th 2006, 10:14 am
Greatly Missed. RIP

DollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond repute

Liana, lighten up
Old Aug 27th 2006, 10:16 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
Julius I hope it all works out for you and your family whatever you decide to do - that goes to anyone else in the remotely same situation, I feel for you.

Mally - is that a Chow Chow on your avatar?
It's an Alaskan Malamute, I'm a gutten for punishment and have 4 :scared:
Old Aug 27th 2006, 10:17 am
Greatly Missed. RIP

Originally Posted by Mally Lass
It's an Alaskan Malamute, I'm a gutten for punishment and have 4 :scared:
We have 2 Siberian Huskies, you have a team!
Old Aug 27th 2006, 10:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Who's misguided ????

You said he made the quote up, we corrected you.

I didn't say Google would give you the information, I said "Google It" meant as in, "Look it up"

Before preaching about 'Quotes' think before 'Misquoting people' !!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.